• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It probably does need to be addressed that firing Rennie prior to the RWC, and having Eddie blow everything up going into the tournament has been an unmitigated disaster...

I would have preferred Rennie carried my false hopes into a QF or SF exit, rather than the current embarrassing clown show.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It probably does need to be addressed that firing Rennie prior to the RWC, and having Eddie blow everything up going into the tournament has been an unmitigated disaster...

I would have preferred Rennie carried my false hopes into a QF or SF exit, rather than the current embarrassing clown show.

This is absolutely true. We've wasted a whole heap of money paying out Rennie a year early and have made the overall situation worse.

There's no value trying to argue whether or not we'd have done better if Rennie was still coach. We don't know. It was crazy to make the change at the time though. We needed to accept that the situation wasn't good and just ride it out and start again in 2024.

Now who knows where things go?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He has a proven record, and he was developing the team. Do you really think he would have picked Donaldson to start these games? He would have definitely taken Cooper or Foley.

It doesn't matter.

We weren't going well with Rennie as coach and moved on. Things are undoubtedly worse but no one can definitively say that we'd have been significantly better this year with Rennie still at the helm.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
It doesn't matter.

We weren't going well with Rennie as coach and moved on. Things are undoubtedly worse but no one can definitively say that we'd have been significantly better this year with Rennie still at the helm.
So despite us having a much better record, you dont think we would be better?

We would have almost certainly won against fiji, and then we would had a Qf against the Struggling Poms or even Argentina/Japan.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Rennie was not going well, although results against better teams were closer than recently.
Jones has not gone well. 'nuff said.
The data we have does not support the argument that Jones is better, or that Rennie would have been worse, or indeed better.
Anyone saying so is just opining.
Changing the coach in the manner and at the time we did was not a great move.
And I think that our current situation is actually far worse than it would have been had we not, with an almost untenable coach on a multi-year big money contract.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So despite us having a much better record, you dont think we would be better?

We would have almost certainly won against fiji, and then we would had a Qf against the Struggling Poms or even Argentina/Japan.

No one can possibly know. That's the point.

We were 5 wins from 14 games last season. It was hardly a stellar run of results. Things have got worse this season. That is unarguable.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
No one can possibly know. That's the point.

We were 5 wins from 14 games last season. It was hardly a stellar run of results. Things have got worse this season. That is unarguable.
We won against Wales, England, South Africa last year. And we competed against all the big teams, with narrow losses against France and Ireland.

This year, we're getting destroyed by these teams. In the space of less than a year.