• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Hopefully out of the guys that have played during this WC cycle these are the one's we don't see again:

Slipper
Hooper
Hanigan
Cooper
Foley
Beale
Hodge
Arnold (x2)
Liam Wright
White
Kerevi
Kemeny
Talakai
Hoskins
McInerney
Swinton
Simone
Banks
Gordon (Jake)
Samu
Holloway
Uelese
McMahon
Latu
Lolesio
Sio
Daungunu
Swain
Fainga'a
Phillip
O'Connor
Neville

I'd also add Ben Donaldson to that list if I was coaching the Wallabies but Eddie loves him for whatever reason

From next year hopefully BPA, both Lonergan, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda etc. come back in

Slipper signed on to the Lions tour whether he lasts that long is another thing.

Who would LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) take the place of? he was just a handy 5/6 I dont think he is pushing out Hooper or Leota

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Slipper signed on to the Lions tour whether he lasts that long is another thing.

Who would LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) take the place of? he was just a handy 5/6 I dont think he is pushing out Hooper or Leota
He's pretty much a straight sub in for Phillip at this stage, replacing him at both the Rebels and if he does well the Wallabies.

I could still see him push Leota out in the backrow for a time if they go down that path though, Rob has really struggled to impose himself coming back from injury this year and if he can't get consistent gametime next year he'll likely drop out of the squad.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)

Who would LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) take the place of? he was just a handy 5/6 I dont think he is pushing out Hooper or Leota
Just because Slipper is signed to 25 dosent mean we should keep picking him for the Wallabies he certainly won’t be round for the next WC so go with Bell, Gibbon and Schoupp going forward

As for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) I said hopefully he comes into contention given he’s back playing SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) in Aus, I’d prefer him over Hooper but think Leota is our best option at 6

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
He's pretty much a straight sub in for Phillip at this stage, replacing him at both the Rebels and if he does well the Wallabies.

I could still see him push Leota out in the backrow for a time if they go down that path though, Rob has really struggled to impose himself coming back from injury this year and if he can't get consistent gametime next year he'll likely drop out of the squad.

He's not an international lock though & the last thing we need is another passive 6 that doesn't win in contact. Dont get me wrong he is a very good super player just like Jed but no going to help us win the RC

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)

Bit dramatic, before July Leota hadn’t played any rugby since last September he’s been decent on return considering that

who do you suggest overtakes Leota?

Eddie also likes him

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bit dramatic, before July Leota hadn’t played any rugby since last September he’s been decent on return considering that

who do you suggest overtakes Leota?

Eddie also likes him
I was specifically speaking about it being possible Salakaia-Loto overtakes Leota there. I understand he's been out most of the year and that was part of my point - he has potential but hasn't really shown much of it over the past year or more. If he does pick up another injury (which he has a history of) he'll likely drop right back in calculations. Nothing he's shown so far suggests any sort incumbency in the role.

FWIW I do think it's more likely than not that Leota will be in the first squad named and I wasn't suggesting he was one of the players we won't see in gold again. Only that if a backrower currently in the squad was to lose their spot to Salakaia-Loto he is one of the most likely given the similarities between them and Rob's recent struggles. Again though I started that post saying that Salakaia-Loto is more likely to be there as a lock than a backrow, though if he is he'll clearly be covering both.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Also you'd think the John Eales Model would go to Bell this year, with Valentini and Skelton (only played 6 games and was a bit average in the first RC games) rounding out the top 3 votes
I agree but I guess we don't know as it's the players who vote on it, they often see things differently. He's a shoe in for the GAGR POTY though.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I was specifically speaking about it being possible Salakaia-Loto overtakes Leota there. I understand he's been out most of the year and that was part of my point - he has potential but hasn't really shown much of it over the past year or more. If he does pick up another injury (which he has a history of) he'll likely drop right back in calculations. Nothing he's shown so far suggests any sort incumbency in the role.

FWIW I do think it's more likely than not that Leota will be in the first squad named and I wasn't suggesting he was one of the players we won't see in gold again. Only that if a backrower currently in the squad was to lose their spot to Salakaia-Loto he is one of the most likely given the similarities between them and Rob's recent struggles. Again though I started that post saying that Salakaia-Loto is more likely to be there as a lock than a backrow, though if he is he'll clearly be covering both.

I actually think he's been okay compared to a few others this tournament. His 1st half v wales was close to our best forward other than Bell

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
After seeing Donaldson and Gordon, I feel Noah should be in the mix there. Gordon seems to be the one, but there needs to be a backup too (will Donaldson even be starting at the Force?)

I do hope we dont see whatever the fuck Eddie's supposed "gameplan" was ever again in gold.
I wouldn't be surprised if Lynagh is in the mix next year. Eddie has always always had players he sticks by, even if the fans don't like it - suspect Donaldson will be that player.

Re gameplan, I broadly didn't have issues with the attacking side of things. Not saying it was amazing of course, but I like the desire to play eyes up, work off 9 and 10 with power runners over the park. I think with more time together it could come good. Decision making on run-pass-kick leaves a lot to be desired though. Defensively, however, felt it was far more of a shit show. Feel like there were some proper structural issues that need to be changed. Would like a new defense coach if Eddie stays.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually think he's been okay compared to a few others this tournament. His 1st half v wales was close to our best forward other than Bell
I was speaking more about his ability to stay fit and string games together there but I'm not sure that performance against Wales gives him much to hang his hat on. Given the way we played our best forward after Bell in that Wales game doesn't mean much in terms of performance and that botched lineout won't be soon forgotten. I'm sure Rob's not the only one to blame there but he was right at the centre of the screw up.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I was speaking more about his ability to stay fit and string games together there but I'm not sure that performance against Wales gives him much to hang his hat on. Given the way we played our best forward after Bell in that Wales game doesn't mean much in terms of performance and that botched lineout won't be soon forgotten. I'm sure Rob's not the only one to blame there but he was right at the centre of the screw up.

Yeah because he had his heels kicked out from behind causing a domino effect, he constantly gets over the gain line makes his tackles & is an option at lineout isn't that what you want in a 6/20?

The last thing I want in the in a wallabies side is for us to go back down the path of passive players

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
We can’t have it both ways, be up and arms about a job interview that Eddie might or might not of even had, and then get all critical when he is mentioned to be committed in staying.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
How long is the Rory Arnold contract in Japan? He could be an asset for Lions tour and in this current stage you can't afford not to have him. Definitely he's the good twin. Before any NRL big name, Rory is more important