• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If I were picking a side right now from fit players, it would look like the following:-

1 Bell, 2 Porecki, 3 Tupou, 4 Philip, 5 Skelton, 6 Hooper, 7 Uru, 8 Valetini, 9 Fines-Leleiwasa, 10 Debreczini, 11 Pietsch, 12 Foketi, 13 Ikatau, 14 Nawaqanitawase, 15 Wright. For 2024, I'd be hoping Ala'alatoa, Frost, Jorgensen and Gordon are all fit for the midyear tests.
Jorgensen should be fine by the start of pre season if not just after. If it's just a broken Fibula it's the standard 6-8 week recovery. I'm obviously hoping nothing else was injured at the same time.

Jack Deb has been impressive but he's not going near it. Wright is a Winger at Test level at best. His decision making skills or lack there of are too costly in a team that can't afford it.

Uru is a Super Rugby player and that's his level IMO. I could see Eddie capping him just to prevent him from representing Fiji in the near future though. Just don't know where he fits that he is the best in the position. Liam Wright is more likely to end up the 7.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good on him, he done very well. They already have it harder than most Australians do. Taking advantage of them , and using ' they're lucky to be here' as justification for treating them like crap is pathetic though.

And a lot do work hard, look at the migrant Accountant who took her life after workplace bullying last year.

So yes , we aren't squeaky clean, and we're hypocrites if we won't work with Qatar because of 'morals' .
Mate you need to read your history of migrant success in Australia as neither my example nor yours is representative.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Uru is a Super Rugby player and that's his level IMO. I could see Eddie capping him just to prevent him from representing Fiji in the near future though. Just don't know where he fits that he is the best in the position. Liam Wright is more likely to end up the 7.
Ghost this seems likely to me too, had he played more he might have been in the squad. Wouldn't have helped much though that squad was doomed from the start (in hindsight).

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd expect Brad Wilkin to get capped next year if he can remain injury free, he suits the way Eddie had England play back in 20/21.

Anyone got ideas who the ARU should be trying to get in as assistant coaches? If I was Eddie I'd be trying to get Joe Schmidt as he has confirmed he won't be with the All Blacks next season.
He'd be a great asst BUT will Eddie take any notice of him?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Beauty of this being the 2024 thread is I leave my critical chat of the current lot in the other threads.

Saw the impact Wright had when fit for the Reds this year especially in the Chiefs game. He is also a guy that brings leadership to a group that is clearly looking for a young guy with that.

I know some others have sent T Hooper down with the WC campaign but I think he's shown some really good signs when left in the 6 jersey. He's 22 years old. We seem to be giving guys like Frost the excuse of age and saying he'll grow into it but he's older than Hooper.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Beauty of this being the 2024 thread is I leave my critical chat of the current lot in the other threads.

Saw the impact Wright had when fit for the Reds this year especially in the Chiefs game. He is also a guy that brings leadership to a group that is clearly looking for a young guy with that.

I know some others have sent T Hooper down with the WC campaign but I think he's shown some really good signs when left in the 6 jersey. He's 22 years old. We seem to be giving guys like Frost the excuse of age and saying he'll grow into it but he's older than Hooper.
My view is that good players are good at 22-23 and get better as they reduce errors and work out how to deal with the pressure of the opposition targeting them.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'd expect Brad Wilkin to get capped next year if he can remain injury free, he suits the way Eddie had England play back in 20/21.

Anyone got ideas who the ARU should be trying to get in as assistant coaches? If I was Eddie I'd be trying to get Joe Schmidt as he has confirmed he won't be with the All Blacks next season.
Schmidt's not that stupid.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely we don't hire another Kiwi just so we can sack him for being a Kiwi? God damn fucking Kiwis. Showing up our old boys with their calm competence.

Its just un-Australian!

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Which is why I posted my hope that Jorgenson and Gordon would be fit next year. Although, I don't agree that Tom Wright is a write-off. He is the most effective attacking weapon in the backline currently available to the Wallabies but he would need to cut out his some times reckless passing to achieve his potential and remain in consideration.
Wright is a fascinating one. Nobody can deny his attacking potential. When he looks good he looks like a world-beater. I'm also usually happy to persevere with mistakes, it takes rare composure not to make them in your first 25 Test starts. But for me the problem is that the mistakes he makes at Test level he also makes for the Brumbies. If we were simply talking about the pressure of international rugby getting to an inexperienced player that's one thing, but its a 26 year old who has not been able to address the fundamental flaw in his game. That does sound harsher than I mean it to however.

Equally, we have a lot of young players in the team who are also going to make mistakes. So I can see an argument for persevering with him to see if you can get to the upside - which I'll accept is there.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
7B81207F-6066-4608-B21D-7F81796C9A65.jpeg

Source: Michael Atkinson

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wright is a fascinating one. Nobody can deny his attacking potential. When he looks good he looks like a world-beater. I'm also usually happy to persevere with mistakes, it takes rare composure not to make them in your first 25 Test starts. But for me the problem is that the mistakes he makes at Test level he also makes for the Brumbies. If we were simply talking about the pressure of international rugby getting to an inexperienced player that's one thing, but its a 26 year old who has not been able to address the fundamental flaw in his game. That does sound harsher than I mean it to however.

Equally, we have a lot of young players in the team who are also going to make mistakes. So I can see an argument for persevering with him to see if you can get to the upside - which I'll accept is there.
Definitely, should be in the squad over Vunivalu or Donaldson every day of the week

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Tom Wright would have been able to add to his blooper reel if he made the World Cup team

How many times does he need to show he can’t handle pressure?

Top Bottom