• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Cron is the best of the coaches based in Australia.

It would take a huge leap from Rugby Australia to go that route. From Cron also.

I think the first targets would be McKellar & Larkham being established brands in Rugby and coaching in Aus.

Imagine if they gave Rennie a call since he's still on the books. I shouldn't laugh.
Yeah, I'd be happy to see Cron involved as an assistant but I don't think he's anywhere near experienced enough for the top job. As a left field option I wouldn't mind them going after O'Gara though I think Ireland will be keen to snap him up as soon as possible.

I think the more important appointments are going to need to be around the other key appointments like director of rugby, high performance manager and coaching coordinator though, we need a hell of a lot more than a new head coach to fix anything and I think these systems will need to be working in concert from the start if we're going to get anywhere. The more experience we can get in those roles the more flexibility there will be in the Wallabies setup.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Mate ironically this was floated to me last night by someone who knows someone who knows someone's uncle who lives next door to someone in the know.

Imagine if it happened.
We don't have to imagine, we have 34 tests worth of evidence

Cant wait for all the close losses to pile up.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
We don't have to imagine, we have 34 tests worth of evidence

Cant wait for all the close losses to pile up.
IMG_9109.gif

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah, I'd be happy to see Cron involved as an assistant but I don't think he's anywhere near experienced enough for the top job. As a left field option I wouldn't mind them going after O'Gara though I think Ireland will be keen to snap him up as soon as possible.
O'Gara has done great things with an absolute beast of a team. I think Eddie Jones, Rennie, Cheika, Deans, would all post similar results with the same squad.

I was optimistic about Eddie because had performed miracles with a bad squad (Japan).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If the rumour mill is true - does this make McLennan's position untenable?
What does untenable mean? I don't know much about corporate governance but he's basically surrounded by his pals. Don't see a mutiny happening.

That means he has to leave on his own volition so his position seems perfectly tenable.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
O'Gara has done great things with an absolute beast of a team. I think Eddie Jones, Rennie, Cheika, Deans, would all post similar results with the same squad.

I was optimistic about Eddie because had performed miracles with a bad squad (Japan).
Look he has, and plenty of other coaches would've done well there but others regularly fail to deliver in those environments too. More importantly the setups he's been involved in have been exactly the ones you want to see a coach developed in. He's also got a very good career trajectory and I think he'd come in at the top of his game, hungry and with real ideas to implement. I'm still not sure how much the head coach matters though, at least compared to the rest of the problems we need to get right. My preference at this stage would be that we get a coach with one job - to coach the wallabies and then invest in the other roles we need to repair and rebuild the game, rather than trying for a messiah of a head coach to swoop in and save us.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
To be fair ( and I used to be in your camp Pfitzy), RA has done absolutely everything in its power to give multiple reasons for the Oz to target them. Talk about leading with the glass jaw....

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

O'Gara would be mad to come to Australia. He's surely next cab for Ireland? and would be in with a shout for any major European job that became available.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Why would anyone want the job? It is a poison chalice
It really is.

Besides the shit show that is Rugby in Australia, surely anyone who takes it now would be only seen as an interim.

There would surely not be anyone with international coaching experience who would be available and want it.

Knowing RA though we'll go for Cheika mkii