• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So I am bitterly disappointed by our performance at the RWC. We are a better team than what we have showed. We aren't world champions by any means but we couldn't have had an easier pool or path to the qtr finals.

Eddie has a strong coaching record, but that includes times where he has crashed and burnt spectacularly, including with the Wallabies in 2005 and the Reds in 2007. So while Eddie can produce diamonds he can also produce rocks, and we (especially McLennan) should have known that. A friend of a friend played under Eddie in the mid 2000s and, while respecting Eddie's rugby brain, is highly critical of Eddie for his poor man management and lack of interpersonal skills. Its one of the reasons why Eddie always struggles keeping assistant coaches.

Eddie's decision to go for generational change a few weeks before the RWC was diabolical; as is his chopping and changing of captains and selections. The turnover in assistant coaches was also a warning sign, as was the selected replacements (too few with rugby credentials). You could see our team had low confidence and composure in our two losses. Instead of rallying when things went against us, we turned to a team of individuals, trying hard but going nowhere and getting frustrated. It was embarrassing to watch, but an obvious outcome from the preparation and selections.

It's all well and good for Eddie to put his hand up to take responsibility, but what does that mean if he doesn't resign? What will it take for him to resign if not our worst ever RWC performance and just a single win in 2023 (against Georgia FFS).

I don't really care if Eddie did or didn't talk to Japan in the last few weeks. Professional coaching is a cut throat game. No concerns from me as long as he was still 100% committed to the Wallabies for this RWC, which I think he was. My issue is what Eddie did with the Wallabies leading up to and into the RWC.

Judging by McLennan's post game remarks, he still sees Jones as a coaching messiah and has no regrets. That tells me he has learnt nothing and we should expect more of the same chaos going forward. That is an intolerable situation for me. And don't even get me started on the Suallii signing.

I actually think McLennan and Eddie are right in saying that things need to fundamentally change in Aus rugby. I just don't think either of them are the right people to lead us through those changes, in fact I think they have proven it over the last 3 months. I think Hamish should be first to go and (assuming Eddie doesn't go on his own accord) then let the new Chair decide what do to with the coaching panel. If nothing else, they have to scale back Eddie's autonomy.

One relatively quick change I think we should make is to open up wallaby selection to all Aus eligible players regardless of where they are playing. We worry too much about player drain, but there is quite a few examples now where our players have improved with the overseas experience. I just want our strongest team picked and I am prepared to watch a weaker Waratahs team (if thats possible) if that's the price to be paid.
Mark, you are pretty much on the mark with those comments. My only disagreement is opening up Wallaby selection to all and sundry. If this world cup has shown us anything in the matter of selections, it is that of the overseas based players in contention, including Foley and Cooper in addition to the four used in the RWC tests, only Skelton came up to the required standard. Maybe opening it up willy nilly isn't really the problem but over-valuing most of their skills and abilities was. I would like to see preference given to locally based players.

Reactions: TSR

No.9

Frank Nicholson (4)
He was fit to play vs Georgia. It wasn't a matter of Eddie not wanting to risk him, he genuinely thought he wasn't deserving of a place in the squad. Anyone defending Jones, as Doran has laughably done on the roar today, needs to have a think about this.
I’m sick of takes like this. Eddie is NOT the problem.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Who thinks Eddie will still be coach come next July when Wales come down under?
Whether it’s justified or not I feel that Eddies position is now untenable with the rugby public. I got some feedback from well connected Aussies in France today, the vitriol is extreme and very directed. With regards to his contract, there would have to be KPIs associated with the end of year review, surely of which none have been met.

Heres what I see happening:
- Eddie will resign, whether or not that is to go to the JRU I have no idea
- every assistant will also be sent packing
- Morgan Turinui will be appointed by RA to assemble the new coaching panel, and could end up with a role on the final panel himself

I won’t make any predictions about the board, but the aforementioned vitriol is also directed at them, so I expect we can see a shake up there as well.

Last edited:

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Head Coach: Eddie Jones
Assistant Coach: Stephen Hoiles
Assistant Coach: Laurie Fisher
Assistant Coach: Peter Hewitt
Wallabies Wellness Co-Ordinator: Travis To'omua
High Performance Director: Michael Cheika
Pathways and Coaching Co-ordinate: Ewen McKenzie
Skills Coach: David Knox
National Skills Coach: Berrick Barnes
Consultant: Scott Wisemantel
General Manager: David Nucifora
CEO: Phil Waugh
National/State Liason Officer: Chris Whittaker

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

You know Eddie Jones is the current coach, right? And that Phil Waugh is the current CEO?

Stephen Hoiles has had, what, one year in club rugby?

Laurie Fisher is retiring...

McKenzie doesn't want anything to do with Australian rugby, or probably any rugby in general these days...

Nucifora also doesn't want anything to do with Australian rugby...

Who is Travis To'omua?

And I don't think the Queenslanders will be on board with this group.

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
You know Eddie Jones is the current coach, right? And that Phil Waugh is the current CEO?

McKenzie doesn't want anything to do with Australian rugby, or probably any rugby in general these days...

Who is Travis To'omua?

McKenzie would need to be talked into it I accept, as would Fisher.
Who from Qld would be a good fit?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Spider_Man_meme.jpg

ironic

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Who is Travis To'omua?

Who is Peter Hewitt? Lleyton's cousin?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

look I’ll admit I shit on hoiles because he for me is the kerns

I don’t think he’s remotely ready to be an international assistant. He was an assistant in America in to Randwick. There’s plenty of young talent in aus that could step up under Mckeller or an international head coach & he might be right to step upto super level.