• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Gauging opinion - does anyone care that Eddie is rude to journos?

There are plenty of reasons to take issue with him. Personally, I like the guy a lot. However, it's subjective, I won't tell anybody they're wrong for not liking him and I can't be arsed to get into an argument about it. But I can't emphasise how low him being rude to journalists ranks on my list of reasons you might not like him. So many of them talk absolute rubbish, and clearly don't know what they're talking about - that's not all, to be clear - but the vast majority serve up dribble that is lower quality than much you read on this forum.
The journalists in Aus can get fucked.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
England had a real good squad. And from memory he spent a few years preparing to beat the All Blacks in the world cup Semi Final, but forgot about the final.
England’s “real good squad” got knocked out in the pool stage of their home World Cup

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Gauging opinion - does anyone care that Eddie is rude to journos?

There are plenty of reasons to take issue with him. Personally, I like the guy a lot. However, it's subjective, I won't tell anybody they're wrong for not liking him and I can't be arsed to get into an argument about it. But I can't emphasise how low him being rude to journalists ranks on my list of reasons you might not like him. So many of them talk absolute rubbish, and clearly don't know what they're talking about - that's not all, to be clear - but the vast majority serve up dribble that is lower quality than much you read on this forum.
Yeah - we finally had relief from the petulance and childishness when Cheika's reign of terror ended only to be served up EJs steaming turd nuggets.

His annoying schtick might work when he's managing a half decent team but when he's taking a tier 1 side down to tier 2 in the space of 8 short games it's thoroughly unpalatable.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Yeah - we finally had relief from the petulance and childishness when Cheika's reign of terror ended only to be served up EJs steaming turd nuggets.

His annoying schtick might work when he's managing a half decent team but when he's taking a tier 1 side down to tier 2 in the space of 8 short games it's thoroughly unpalatable.
I think you are being kind saying the Wallabies were a tier 1 side when he took over. We were well ensconced with the Tier 2s at the end of Rennie's reign. Eddie has just accelerated the decline.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think you are being kind saying the Wallabies were a tier 1 side when he took over. We were well ensconced with the Tier 2s at the end of Rennie's reign. Eddie has just accelerated the decline.
No, we wern't. We actually beat a tier 1 side last year and didn't lose to a tier 2 side.

Eddie is a donkey and his lack of respect makes it worse. He makes us all look like morons.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
No, we wern't. We actually beat a tier 1 side last year and didn't lose to a tier 2 side.

Eddie is a donkey and his lack of respect makes it worse. He makes us all look like morons.
I'm aware in the culture of rugby the tiers are sort of a real thing but is Italy actually a tier 1 country?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm aware in the culture of rugby the tiers are sort of a real thing but is Italy actually a tier 1 country?
Yes - the actual tier 1 countries are the four in the RC and the six in the 6N plus Japan (presumably due to financial clout). We would have to spend a while down here and get dumped by WR (World Rugby) as a voting nation to officially become a tier 2 nation. It actually has little to do with anyone's test results on a year to year basis. Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, France and of course Italy and Japan have all spent time in our realms relatively recently.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
In general I hate the "Tiers" concept. It's very dumb. I'm not sure what it achieves outside of ringfencing development of the game. Doesn't seem to be a thing in any other sport (except for maybe Test match status in cricket, which is also dumb).
This is the reason I hate a poorly performing tier one side being described as tier 2 or vice versa - it implies that all a tier 2 side has to do to get a seat at the big table is perform (even with the deck stacked against them) when in reality it is a structural divide and it generally requires the agreement of the existing tier 1 sides to elevate someone.

It's also one of the major blockers to Fiji joining the rugby championship as it stands - if it follows that rugby championship sides are defacto tier 1 than were they to join alongside Japan and be made tier 1 it would shift the balance of power away from Europe. That's not exactly something the home nations are keen to see.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
the balance of power away from Europe. That's not exactly something the home nations are keen to see.
Bang on. Another reason I'll argue that our interests are (generally) aligned with NZ. Putting aside the last four years, Rugby has been dominated by the Southern Hemisphere throughout its history. Our players and ideas continue to power the success of the North. Yet the game is run in the interests of the North. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Having said that, the global North holding unfair power over the global South is an idea that is hardly unique to Rugby.

Alex Ross (28)
We haven't had a smooth transition in coach since Maqueen > Jones after the 2001 lions series

I don't think sacking him will yield good results in the future
Results have declined over the last decade of coach sacking at every change

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
He inherited a team that got knocked out in the pool stage of a World Cup and led them to 22 consecutive wins. Must have been a fucking good team to do that with a bad coach

If only he had 22 consecutive close losses, then he’d really be a good coach
He inherited a team that got knocked out in the pool stage of a World Cup and led them to 22 consecutive wins. Must have been a fucking good team to do that with a bad coach

If only he had 22 consecutive close losses, then he’d really be a good coach
And it all has gone downhill since 2000. It's laughable to suggest he's still a good coach.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)

Can you please stop making sensible posts?

Thanks in advance.