• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
20% for 2023
0% v tier 1
3 heavy defeats from 7 tier 1
First loss to Fiji
First time not out of RWC pool
2023 is not very pretty though
No game plan
Yes, you're correct with most of that

I'd push back on the "no game plan" though. They had a plan, it was either executed horribly (see Fiji game) or completely ill advised (Wales game). With more time in the saddle I certainly believe they can win with it

You seem intent on believing Eddie is the worst coach in the history of Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is an interesting comparison that requires some unpacking...

Rennie's winning % in his first year is lower than Eddie's, but it certainly reads much better:

1 win, 1 draw, and 2 losses v New Zealand
2 draws v Argentina (who also notched up a win against NZ)

Eddie this year:

1 win against Georgia and Portugal lol

2 losses against New Zealand

1 loss each against South Africa, Argentina, France, Fiji, and Wales

There's so many "what ifs" in there due to Covid limiting how much test rugby was played in 2020, and this year being a RWC year...

For instance, and this is a doozy...

Would Eddie have won a single game this year if it wasn't a RWC year?

Instead of facing more top tier teams on an EOYT, he had token minnow victories in a RWC pool... fairly unconvincing victories.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There's so many "what ifs" in there due to Covid limiting how much test rugby was played in 2020, and this year being a RWC year...
You can play what ifs with any result till kingdom come. The results are the results, and you can usually twist them to support whatever narrative you want.

It's why results based analysis is very incomplete. I think it was wrong to sack Rennie in the World Cup year. I also look at the team he wanted to play and think the Wallabies would have been in a worse place post 2023, with no better than a wholly underserved SF appearance to show for it, then when he took them on. Is that all his fault - absolutely not. But for the love of god, surely there is no more juice left to wring from the Eddie v Rennie comparisons.

Last edited:

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
This is an interesting comparison that requires some unpacking...

Rennie's winning % in his first year is lower than Eddie's, but it certainly reads much better:

1 win, 1 draw, and 2 losses v New Zealand
2 draws v Argentina (who also notched up a win against NZ)

Eddie this year:

1 win against Georgia and Portugal lol

2 losses against New Zealand

1 loss each against South Africa, Argentina, France, Fiji, and Wales

For instance, and this is a doozy...

Would Eddie have won a single game this year if it wasn't a RWC year?

Instead of facing more top tier teams on an EOYT, he had token minnow victories in a RWC pool... fairly unconvincing victories.
That’s right if not for RWC Eddie would not have recorded a win

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thank you, I will…
Ok, I'll play a what if. What if Karl Dickson didn't play a moronically long advantage in Bledisloe 2 this year? What if Quade hadn't made a dumb late shot v Argentina and gave them the penalty that walked them up the field to win the Test in Sydney? The comparisons would start to look very different.

But I don't do that, because it's silly and pointless. You can criticise Eddie, but you don't need to spin Rennie as this great coach who had the Wallabies absolutely humming in order to do so.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
bang on - and we have Tupou and Bell really only. Frost with an off-season in the gym and on BokPills. Valetini perhaps.

Looking further afield I think there is potential with:

- Josh Nasser
- Harry Wilson (but needs a harder edge to his game)
- Langi Gleeson
- Lachie Lonergan
- Hooper (see Frost)
- Pone (but with minutes under his belt which he likely won't get)
- Eloff maybe
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
- Vaiolini Ekuasi (when / if eligible)
- Leafi Talataina
- Siosifa Amone
- Felix Kalapu
- Jeremy Williams maybe
They mostly look under muscled and carrying too much body fat, they all need more work in the gym and less time in the kitchen, and I include the backs in this

We need units who can dominate contact, get up, rinse and repeat

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Very few of our squad will come out of the RWC 'smelling like roses', but I think a few players will. What does everyone else think and who are the players on the rise?

I'll answer my own question by saying Bell and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase).

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Very few of our squad will come out of the RWC 'smelling like roses', but I think a few players will. What does everyone else think and who are the players on the rise?

I'll answer my own question by saying Bell and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase).
McReight is one I'd say. It's just about balance in the pack. With that he could be a world beater.

I'll say Porecki didn't disgrace himself by any means either. Possibly under the radar developing really nicely even if he'll never be in a world xv.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)

I'll answer my own question by saying Bell and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase).
Vunivalu, funnily enough. I remain unconvinced he's worth ploughing resources into. But he's certainly improved a lot.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

For mine, stocks have risen (in varying degrees) for:
- Bell
- Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
- McReight
- Vunivalu
- IFL
- Donaldson
- Perese
- T Hooper
- Valetini
- Skelton

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
McReight is one I'd say. It's just about balance in the pack. With that he could be a world beater.

I'll say Porecki didn't disgrace himself by any means either. Possibly under the radar developing really nicely even if he'll never be in a world xv.
Porecki was solid sure, but not test quality, none of our hookers are other than BPA

McReight definitely good always tries hard, but needs more turnovers and a bit small. Would be good to see Gleeson get a look it at 7