• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A bit of a sobering weekend with regards to the fly half candidates. I thought McLaughlin-Phillips was good behind a strong forward pack but still clearly has some way to go with his game (not surprisingly).

Carter Gordon still looks out of sorts, after a cracking game against the Rebels Lolesio has struggled, Donaldson came back to earth with a thump and I don’t think Edmed is a realistic option for higher honours on current form.

Better to happen now then later I guess but just a reminder that all these guys still have a bit to go in their development.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Based on form and international experience the three flyhalves in the Wallabies camp should probably be

1. Gordon
2. Donaldson
3. Lynagh

Lynagh has overall been the most in form 10, but recent experience shows young fly halves struggle stepping up to internationals for at least a year or two.

Better to go start Gordon and Donaldson who know what to expect, whilst giving Lynagh some exposure against Georgia.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Lynagh has overall been the most in form 10, but recent experience shows young fly halves struggle stepping up to internationals for at least a year or two.

Better to go start Gordon and Donaldson who know what to expect, whilst giving Lynagh some exposure against Georgia.
On Lynagh, I do agree it’s best to give him time - however, he really does seem to be made of different stuff and plays with a level of maturity well above his years.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On Lynagh, I do agree it’s best to give him time - however, he really does seem to be made of different stuff and plays with a level of maturity well above his years.
Agree - but then I really warmed to Gordon over last year after originally pushing back on the basis we shouldn’t rush him. I know the whole Wallabies program was a bit of a shit show but it certainly doesn’t seem to have done him any favours bringing him in so quickly.

Plenty if this season still to play out so I guess we’ll see how things go.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Who do you have ahead of Wilson and Gleeson but behind Valetini at 8? I haven't been blown away by Valetini this year.

Early days though.
Rob Leota. Plenty of opposition players have been blown away by RV this year Derpus. Perhaps you should suit up for a team (Tahs could certainly use someone with your passion) and try to stop him in full flight. See, the main difference between Valetini and Wilson is that Rob V will always make ground in the tackle or break the tackle. Harry W just immediately goes to ground under even the most docile of tackles. Wilson's workrate is through the roof, but not effective compared with the likes of Valetini, Leota and Gleeson.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A bit of a sobering weekend with regards to the fly half candidates. I thought McLaughlin-Phillips was good behind a strong forward pack but still clearly has some way to go with his game (not surprisingly).

Carter Gordon still looks out of sorts, after a cracking game against the Rebels Lolesio has struggled, Donaldson came back to earth with a thump and I don’t think Edmed is a realistic option for higher honours on current form.

Better to happen now then later I guess but just a reminder that all these guys still have a bit to go in their development.
TSR, I'm not even sure that Noah is the best option for the Brumbies. He has his moments but overall is not very effective in managing or setting up the Brumbies attack. He rarely takes on the line himself and even more rarely actually gets through or puts a support player away. In short, I think he's a bit of a handbrake on the Brumbies attack at the moment. Most of the Brumbies backline incursions seem to come from a Tom Wright involvement. As a left field pick, I have been more impressed by Declan Meredith in his few minutes on the field in the 10 spot (see his setting up of Charlie Cale's second try against the Rebels). To be clear, as this is the Wallabies thread, I am not advocating for Meredith yet to be in consideration for the Gold 10 jersey but I'd like to see him get more time at the Brumbies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Rob Leota. Plenty of opposition players have been blown away by RV this year Derpus. Perhaps you should suit up for a team (Tahs could certainly use someone with your passion) and try to stop him in full flight. See, the main difference between Valetini and Wilson is that Rob V will always make ground in the tackle or break the tackle. Harry W just immediately goes to ground under even the most docile of tackles. Wilson's workrate is through the roof, but not effective compared with the likes of Valetini, Leota and Gleeson.
Rennie & Jones both by passed Wilson, so he obviously has some work ons but your overdoing it. He isn’t the power runner Valetini or Gleeson but he generates quick ball and his support play and his hands provide a different dimension to his attack. Whether he can crack the Wallabies squad again - we’ll see but he has been the form 8 over the first 4 weeks.

Valetini has been very good too and was good again last night. Brumbies wouldn’t be 3-1 without him.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)

Two out of Gordon, Donaldson and Lolesio for Wallabies this year imo. Donaldson had some nice touches in the 1st half against Moana with another brilliant linebreak but always hard behind a beaten pack. And his two penalty misses were costly. Shame because he was kicking at 100% prior to the Brumbies game. On the other hand Lolesio kicked 5 from 5 yesterday but was pedestrian in attack. He really needs to stand flatter and take it to the line more. And Gordon’s goal kicking was much improved and he played soundly in a well beaten side.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
That’s absolutely his strength, and where he is ahead of Edmed & HMP. Gordon shows glimpses of good kicking but not consistent enough.

not suggesting Lynagh should be wallabies 5/8, but his attributes seem better suited for test rugby then some of the others.
Lynagh may end up in a gold jersey one day but let’s wait till he has played a couple of seasons .. or actually half seasons …of Super Rugby first…I say half seasons because they aren’t long enough. He plays very deep and have not seen him take on the line too much. Will get better. I think any players not making Wallaby squad should head overseas to play more rugby to get better at their craft. Australian rugby players just don’t play enough games to get better imho. If you are in a Super rugby squad and on the bench but only get 5 or 10 minutes, how in God’s name can you get better?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lynagh may end up in a gold jersey one day but let’s wait till he has played a couple of seasons .. or actually half seasons …of Super Rugby first…I say half seasons because they aren’t long enough. He plays very deep and have not seen him take on the line too much.

I think it's a fallacy that your flyhalf needs to be attacking the line and making plays at the line to be effective. Particularly at test level where you likely need some more time to setup the phases.

Having the ability to read the defence and play at the line is obviously important, but not every flyhalf is going to be the next Dan Carter. Players like Jonny Wilkinson (again not many flyhalves will get to his status) played primarily a pocket passing and kicking game and was highly successful.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
I think it's a fallacy that your flyhalf needs to be attacking the line and making plays at the line to be effective. Particularly at test level where you likely need some more time to setup the phases.

Having the ability to read the defence and play at the line is obviously important, but not every flyhalf is going to be the next Dan Carter. Players like Jonny Wilkinson (again not many flyhalves will get to his status) played primarily a pocket passing and kicking game and was highly successful.
When I think of Johnny Wilkinson I think of a certain field goal! He did play a different role at flyhalf your right, but I personally wouldn’t rate him as one of the greats. Goal kicking at Test level unfortunately is very important and he was good at that. I guess for some he rates highly for that alone. It also depends on the rest of your backline too I suppose.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Lynagh may end up in a gold jersey one day but let’s wait till he has played a couple of seasons .. or actually half seasons …of Super Rugby first…
Read again, I said ‘not suggesting Lynagh for wallabies 5/8’…

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For goodness sake. Eddie was not a result of a timing problem. Wanting Eddie was the reason for the timing problem. RA chose Eddie with all the issues such as assistants thereby creating the timing issue. AND publicised it as a major coup.

Absolutely RA created the timing problem.

My point was that changing coaches a year out from a RWC at short notice created a big issue in terms of assembling the coaching staff and effectively made the task of Eddie Jones succeeding as difficult as possible.

RA and the Wallabies already had such a challenge ahead of them to succeed that increasing the degree of difficulty through their own actions was the last thing that should ever be done.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bullying is not the word I would use. He showed poor judgement, for sure. With the benefit of hindsight, we have ended up with a good coach.

"Always look on the bright side of life".
Best thing that could have happened to us. Eddie ripped off the coloured glasses and exposed the guys and obviously criticised them as it's in him MO (ie not my problem). Then the wheels of good guys in rugby took off and we are looking better in Super Rugby than we have since 2014, let's see what happens with the Wallabies but I am with you re confidence in the future.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
TSR, I'm not even sure that Noah is the best option for the Brumbies. He has his moments but overall is not very effective in managing or setting up the Brumbies attack. He rarely takes on the line himself and even more rarely actually gets through or puts a support player away. In short, I think he's a bit of a handbrake on the Brumbies attack at the moment. Most of the Brumbies backline incursions seem to come from a Tom Wright involvement. As a left field pick, I have been more impressed by Declan Meredith in his few minutes on the field in the 10 spot (see his setting up of Charlie Cale's second try against the Rebels). To be clear, as this is the Wallabies thread, I am not advocating for Meredith yet to be in consideration for the Gold 10 jersey but I'd like to see him get more time at the Brumbies.
BR I thought Jack Debreczeni went better last year. Any reason why he's out of contention at the Brumbies?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rennie & Jones both by passed Wilson, so he obviously has some work ons but your overdoing it. He isn’t the power runner Valetini or Gleeson but he generates quick ball and his support play and his hands provide a different dimension to his attack. Whether he can crack the Wallabies squad again - we’ll see but he has been the form 8 over the first 4 weeks.

Valetini has been very good too and was good again last night. Brumbies wouldn’t be 3-1 without him.
These are different horses TSR and need to be picked on merit. I have always thought BV was the best #6 we rarely play in the Wallabies. Not sure why as his weaknesses are what Wilson has and vice versa. I would play them depending on the opposition. BTW I don't remember Keiran Reid making too many tackle meters. Not suggesting Wilson is another Reid but we need a thinking 8 and not just a battering ram.