• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
We can probably say that Edmed and Lynagh are both out of contention now. I would imagine that it is a lot easier to rule a player out than it is to rule a player in.

Donaldson and Lolesio. Grits teeth. I still have high hopes for HMP. If Gordon learns to kick from the spot he would be in my 22.

Beattie

Bob McCowan (2)
You’re an excited bunch on this forum. Schmidt won’t even have his pencil and rubber out yet. I will tell you he knows the players looking overseas and will think twice about their inclusion.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
You’re an excited bunch on this forum. Schmidt won’t even have his pencil and rubber out yet. I will tell you he knows the players looking overseas and will think twice about their inclusion.
Don't know about that. Wallaby training squad almost always held in early/mid April during the Super Rugby bye rounds.

I think we will hear some early thoughts pretty soon

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He may not be on the phone to players yet but I would be confident in guaranteeing he has a list going. It may be a list of not to picks or ones to watch but he’s across it.

A coach with his record did not take this job to be embarrassed and phone it in.

Early squads are a good keep it for a bolter and kick in the ass for others.
We can probably say that Edmed and Lynagh are both out of contention now. I would imagine that it is a lot easier to rule a player out than it is to rule a player in.

Donaldson and Lolesio. Grits teeth. I still have high hopes for HMP. If Gordon learns to kick from the spot he would be in my 22.
I want to see HMP go and be dominant in the U20s. Every chance by the WC we see his name in the 10 if he keeps developing like he is.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I like Noah and trust what he brings. I think Schmidt will place value in consistency and reliability especially with where the Wallabies currently sit. Foundations need building before you throw some darts and experiment.

It’s a fine line between ‘reliability’ and ‘stagnant’ in my opinion.

The Wallabies will need to do more than just run a steady ship if they’re going to become relevant again. We need to win games.

I personally don’t think QC (Quade Cooper) should be recalled into the side, but I also have a feeling he could end up back in there at some point. He’s the only ten who is genuinely creative at this stage. HMP seems to be good at finding interesting angles and has a decent running game but hopefully isn’t given a gold jersey for a few years.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Fair. I wonder if a new coach and new direction can spark him.

We now know he’s never going to be explosive and he’s not even that quick but can he become crafty as he gets into the middle of his career. If given the weapons around him can he pull the strings….

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It’s a fine line between ‘reliability’ and ‘stagnant’ in my opinion.

The Wallabies will need to do more than just run a steady ship if they’re going to become relevant again. We need to win games.

I personally don’t think QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) should be recalled into the side, but I also have a feeling he could end up back in there at some point. He’s the only ten who is genuinely creative at this stage. HMP seems to be good at finding interesting angles and has a decent running game but hopefully isn’t given a gold jersey for a few years.
This is precisely why I think he should stick with Carter Gordon. Put Carter in a backline comprising (say) Toole, Paisami, Ikitau, Kellaway, Wright and see how creative he can be.

Never thought I'd say it, but Donaldson is also looking a lot better over at the Force.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You're a very bored lot on a Sunday, eh?

Let's just look at the macro picture before we start picking teams after *checks notes* Round 5, eh?

Overall I think we're in decent shape. To be fair, we could have had a good showing at RWC2023 if - yet again - the old farts brigade hadn't been so eager to mix up the past and the future vis-à-vis their willingness to kneel, open-mouthed, at the altar of Eddie. But maybe we needed that to test the paper tiger that is Australian Rugby.

(Could be worse - the mad bastard could still be in the chair. If he succeeds in Japan it'll either be confirmation that Eddie was brought in to give us a reset, or that fate has a sense of humour. Maybe both.)

Back to the present: there are good signs coming out of our competitiveness in general, but poor signs for consistency. This is hardly new, and last night showed that nobody is invincible despite the form guide.

Such is life. The fate of individuals or teams won't necessarily have a bearing on the Wallabies squad; Schmidt has been around long enough to see through the temporal nature of form and combinations.

Most importantly, the back office is going to align a lot better than it has in previous years, even if there is still some bloodletting due in and around the "streamlining" to get us back on track.

Schmidt needs time in 2024 to get the ship turned around, and then drive it toward success against the Lions in 2025.

If that has a small asterisk against it due to a slump from NZ, I don't really care. Let's win some fucking Test matches then plan for what happens next.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
This is precisely why I think he should stick with Carter Gordon. Put Carter in a backline comprising (say) Toole, Paisami, Ikitau, Kellaway, Wright and see how creative he can be.

Never thought I'd say it, but Donaldson is also looking a lot better over at the Force.
Gordon is good and would definitely look better with that backline. I also agree that Donaldson has been in great form with a coach’s backing to attack .. seems to have benefited from the move away from Coleman. Noah has the benefit of his higher percentage goal kicking but to me offers less in unleashing his outside backs.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well if you go by Australian team of the week it'd be Noah 1 Donaldson 2 .
Notwithstanding Ghosts' valid comment that a weekly team isn't the gospel for the Wallabies pecking order, if you are referring to the Team of The week on here, Donaldson seems to be leading anyway? Or are you citing your favourite journalist?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gordon is good and would definitely look better with that backline. I also agree that Donaldson has been in great form with a coach’s backing to attack .. seems to have benefited from the move away from Coleman. Noah has the benefit of his higher percentage goal kicking but to me offers less in unleashing his outside backs.
Always was my criticism of Noah too, but I have to say he was very impressive in the game on the weekend. On form overall, though I'd still stick with Gordon at least for the first test.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Notwithstanding Ghosts' valid comment that a weekly team isn't the gospel for the Wallabies pecking order, if you are referring to the Team of The week on here, Donaldson seems to be leading anyway? Or are you citing your favourite journalist?
Nope on here Noah's been selected more often, but not like you'd even check anything before disagreeing, just like journalists.. Although Donaldson may even it up this week.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nope on here Noah's been selected more often, but not like you'd even check anything before disagreeing, just like journalists.. Although Donaldson may even it up this week.
I thought you were saying Noah was the top pick this week. Hence my caveat that the weekly best isn't necessarily the overall best.