• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think wright and Kellaway have both been good and you could find a place for both of them in a 23. If you have a 5/3 split on the bench you could have Donaldson at 22 and Wright at 23 which gives you good coverage and impact.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think wright and Kellaway have both been good and you could find a place for both of them in a 23. If you have a 5/3 split on the bench you could have Donaldson at 22 and Wright at 23 which gives you good coverage and impact.
Agree I'd be seriously looking at Lonergan and Lolesio starting and Ben at 22 - based off form this year and goal kicking!

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hooker wise I think Faesslar has to start come July, Lonergan out for the season potentially and still no Porecki is worrying, you'd think Uelese would have to feature, BPA would be nice at some stage

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Wright at Super level has never been Wright at international level, he was very good on Saturday, i would still never pick him because he is too inclined to the monumental brain fart.
They are actually the same brain fart, just a better opposition. His quick 22 to himself against the reds worked out ok because only 3 people on the field knew what he was going to do. Against any of the top 10 test teams in the world, he would have been tackled, turned over and the opposition winger score in the corner. The only people on the field that wouldn't have been prepared for it would be his own Australian teammates.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree - it would be silly not to include Kerevi if he's at or near his best; my point was more around shoehorning a below-par Kerevi into a Wallabies backline that might benefit from a 12 with a different skillset.
The question is who? Ikitau is our best 13 and Foketi is pretty good 12 and will be in the squad but not starting compared to a fit Kerevi.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
Stewart @ 12, Ikitau @ 13 would be my pick
I like it. Stewart is in career best form. It would give the Wallabies a 12 who possesses a competent kicking game, a good support player who can sniff out a try, tackles at close to 100% and gives the team a second ball player to complement the 10. And despite his small frame, he is surprisingly physical and robust. Certainly imo Stewart offers more than Kerevi. But it will all depend on how Schmidt wants to play the game. If it’s going to be similar to Ireland’s game plan which relies on players with excellent catch/pass skills and played at a relentless pace, then Stewart might be your man at 12.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, but you didn't write that list the way that BR sees the list. I've fixed that for you.
I made my comment after Round 6, taking into account that on his performance against the Reds (widely acknowledged as MOTM or as near as) he will have three appearances there now. Not to suggest that the number of appearances in the GAGR TOTW is any guide to overall performance levels as the absolute quality of performance is not judged, only relative to others playing that weekend.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They are actually the same brain fart, just a better opposition. His quick 22 to himself against the reds worked out ok because only 3 people on the field knew what he was going to do. Against any of the top 10 test teams in the world, he would have been tackled, turned over and the opposition winger score in the corner. The only people on the field that wouldn't have been prepared for it would be his own Australian teammates.
LOL.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Wright at Super level has never been Wright at international level, he was very good on Saturday, i would still never pick him because he is too inclined to the monumental brain fart.
I agree but only when he plays Full-Back at international level. He's generally played consistently well at wing for the Wallabies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Cross from Reds thread (off topic there)

BR, you and I have had differing thoughts on Wright for, well ages. That said I really liked what Wright did in Round 6 against the Reds. He is definitely finding his stride and building toward this claimed higher ceiling that is claimed. I completely rate Jock Campbell and in this game at least, Wright was a clear winner. WRT a "clear" lock for the starting 15 in the Wallabies, yes we disagree.

Nor am I on my own - from the GAGR team of the week:
R1: Kellaway
R2: Kellaway
R3: Burey
R4: Wright
R5: Wright

Kellaway as I understand it has been out a couple of games? What has been claimed (back in the history of the thread I am cross posting) is that Wright is clearly the form 15. Nonsense. He is certainly a key contender, but he is not a clear selection based on the GAGR feedback at any rate. Now that shouldn't be considered a simple slam dunk, but we are here at GAGR after all and it aught be considered some kind of relevance.

The Reds v Brumbies game was a single point won numerically by the superior boot of Lolesio, who also have a leading game and gets my MOTM. Wright was a contender and played a really fantastic game.

I am no longer "coming around" to Wright, I'm there. But I don't agree his form obviously displaces Kellaway right now. It's a great place to be with two good international quality full backs making a claim. With a bit of luck Wright can continue to remove the head-farts from his game. He'll be a welcome member of the Wallaby squad if Schmidt is seeing things like I am. In the back of my mind though, have to say I have a lot of comfort with the settling hand of Kellaway at 15.
Why not both, one wing one fullback

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Why not both, one wing one fullback
Right now, I'd have 11 Kellaway, 14 Petaia, 15 Wright. Toole is the other strong contender right now if Nawaqanitawase is ignored as he's leaving. I wonder, though, if there's a lot of difference between Nawaqanitawase and Petaia who is (apparently strongly) rumoured to be off o/s at the end of the year. At least we know Wright and Kellaway will be around in 2025.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Right now, I'd have 11 Kellaway, 14 Petaia, 15 Wright. Toole is the other strong contender right now if Nawaqanitawase is ignored as he's leaving. I wonder, though, if there's a lot of difference between Nawaqanitawase and Petaia who is (apparently strongly) rumoured to be off o/s at the end of the year. At least we know Wright and Kellaway will be around in 2025.
We are more or less at the point where anyone half decent is one year away from going overseas.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We are more or less at the point where anyone half decent is one year away from going overseas.

What is utterly astonishing is that we are not at that point right now following the RA/Wallaby coaching RWC shit-show.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Definitely agree with Ikitau, to me we're a bit stuffed at 12 Paisami would be my pick though
Could Kuenzle actually be better suited to 12 at test rugby than Stewart? Lot to like about him as a big body with skills. Much higher ceiling. Foketi the clear standout domestically aside from him, Isaac Henrys injury was disappointing though.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
9 Tate
10 Gordon
11 Marika
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Petaia
15 Kellaway
21 Lonergan
22 Lolesio
23 Wright
I'd have Wright over Kellaway. Would much rather Wright get all his fuck ups out of the way in the first 50-60 minutes than in the last 20-30 minutes.