• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Right now, I'd have 11 Kellaway, 14 Petaia, 15 Wright. Toole is the other strong contender right now if Nawaqanitawase is ignored as he's leaving. I wonder, though, if there's a lot of difference between Nawaqanitawase and Petaia who is (apparently strongly) rumoured to be off o/s at the end of the year. At least we know Wright and Kellaway will be around in 2025.
I reckon there's a big difference between leaving overseas and leaving the code altogether - the overseas player remains wallaby eligible. That said some of the rumours around Petaia are to league or a crack at NFL, though that won't be a factor until he has signed something.

The other potential outside backs pushing there way into the squad are Daugunu and Flook. Both offer mor versatility covering 13 and are in good form right now. Either could be favoured as the bench outside back in a side that includes at least 2 of Kellaway, Petaia and Wright.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just a stab

1 - Bell
2 - Faessler
3 - AAA (c)
4 - Holloway
5 - Frost
6 - Leota
7 - McReight
8 - Valentini
9 - Lonergan
10 - Lolesio
11 - Petaia
12 - Paisami
13 - Ikitau
14 - kellaway
15 - Wright

Uelese, Slipper, Tupou, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilson/Hooper, McDermott, Gordon/Donaldson, Toole/Jorgensen

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Tom Horton any chance of being a bolter for wallaby squad this year? None of the other hookers have really nailed a spot and he has been pretty good. Does the core skills well

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tom Horton any chance of being a bolter for wallaby squad this year? None of the other hookers have really nailed a spot and he has been pretty good. Does the core skills well
I don't think he's been that good tbh I'd have Faessler, Uelese, Porecki, Pollard etc. above him

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
I reckon there's a big difference between leaving overseas and leaving the code altogether - the overseas player remains wallaby eligible. That said some of the rumours around Petaia are to league or a crack at NFL, though that won't be a factor until he has signed something.

The other potential outside backs pushing there way into the squad are Daugunu and Flook. Both offer mor versatility covering 13 and are in good form right now. Either could be favoured as the bench outside back in a side that includes at least 2 of Kellaway, Petaia and Wright.
Petaia is a great athlete but it's risky to switch codes when he hasn't even come close to realizing his potential in his original sport. His natural position still feels like it's rugby winger and not fullback or 13.

I wonder if time in France would do him well if he does decide to chase the money.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Definitely agree with Ikitau, to me we're a bit stuffed at 12 Paisami would be my pick though
He's the obvious pick but he is too direct and doesn't seem to be a great replacement for Kerevi nor a second 5/8 to distribute or kick.
Agree about stuffed at 12, Foketi being my only option. Stewart has looked pretty solid this year but we need someone to open things up assuming our pack can get to 50/50 against their opposition.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Right now, I'd have 11 Kellaway, 14 Petaia, 15 Wright. Toole is the other strong contender right now if Nawaqanitawase is ignored as he's leaving. I wonder, though, if there's a lot of difference between Nawaqanitawase and Petaia who is (apparently strongly) rumoured to be off o/s at the end of the year. At least we know Wright and Kellaway will be around in 2025.
Kellaway is our most complete 15, daylight second, he just makes better decisions

I would stick Wright and Toole on the wings, but I have concerns about Toole's size - being isolated at test level, I would also consider Lachie Anderson and Harry Potter

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kellaway is our most complete 15, daylight second, he just makes better decisions

I would stick Wright and Toole on the wings, but I have concerns about Toole's size - being isolated at test level, I would also consider Lachie Anderson and Harry Potter
Lots of outside backs around at the moment who are small and highly effective e.g. Capuozzo, Arendse and Kolbe. Probably others I can't remember.

Out and out pace is still a wingers primary attribute.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Now the bar isn’t high and he has a lot more consistency because his past doesn’t hold much credence but I actually think Uelese is putting together his best season so far and might of been the best of an ordinary bunch this season.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Now the bar isn’t high and he has a lot more consistency because his past doesn’t hold much credence but I actually think Uelese is putting together his best season so far and might of been the best of an ordinary bunch this season.
Don't care, we have been here before, he's a player who struggles to step up and he has had plenty of chances and blown them all.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Forward pack for 24
Front row, Bell, BPA, Tupoa
Locks Skelton and Swain
Backrow Valetine, Cale, McRight or Wright (if Schmidt wants a big 7)

Finishers AAA, Faessla, Arnold, Gamble, Swinton. assuming a 5/3 split