• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The only surprise I see is Dennis, but he is an 5/6 option and with MMM not playing I can see the logic

No 2nd 9 is a funny one. not sure of the logic apart from White's lack of a running game making him not as certain as I thought he would be. But neither it appears is Phipps, so I have no idea who they will pick.

Great to see Horne get in, he has been getting better and better as a direct 12 this season, his defence has been great all season, he has built a strong partnership with the test 13 and his attack continues to improve.

Deans was pretty clear in his statements on Cooper today and that was emphasised by his description of the skill-set of JOC (James O'Connor). Deans clearly wants physicality from his 10, someone who will yake on the line, straighten the line (be direct) and go forward in defence

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Horne is the best to 12 to play outside O'Connor. I suspect deans will go with this option as O'Connor is there to play a conservative game plan.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Deans was pretty clear in his statements on Cooper today and that was emphasised by his description of the skill-set of JOC (James O'Connor). Deans clearly wants physicality from his 10, someone who will yake on the line, straighten the line (be direct) and go forward in defence

I honestly don't know what more Quade could do. He has satisfied all the aspects Deans mentioned today and still has not been selected. It can only be personal.

T

Train Without a Station

Also, perhaps if Deans focused on physicality in the numbers 1-8, a physical 10 would not be as important.

When exactly did that become one of the more important traits of a 10 anyway? Obviously you can't have liabilities out there but when did we start to look for "physicality" from out playmakers?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Also, perhaps if Deans focused on physicality in the numbers 1-8, a physical 10 would not be as important.

When exactly did that become one of the more important traits of a 10 anyway? Obviously you can't have liabilities out there but when did we start to look for "physicality" from out playmakers?

^This. A playmaker is a.... playmaker. You don't see NFL Quarterbacks constantly Bashing it up because they know their main role is to command the team around the park and make the key decisions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I honestly don't know what more Quade could do. He has satisfied all the aspects Deans mentioned today and still has not been selected. It can only be personal.

You think? He didn't last night. He wasn't direct in attack or defense

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
You think? He didn't last night. He wasn't direct in attack or defense

He attacked the line on numerous occasions, committed the defence, made an excessive number of tackles for a 10 (he missed one, as did Ioane and Genia) and has been brutally physical in the contact zone and at the breakdown.

I'm sorry but you can't just make claims like that when there is no substantial evidence to back it up. O'Connor missed 3 tackles (two on Rene Ranger, one on Frank Halai resulting in a try) before he went off. He was not physical or direct in that game. Everyone makes mistakes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He attacked the line on numerous occasions, committed the defence, made an excessive number of tackles for a 10 (he missed one, as did Ioane and Genia) and has been brutally physical in the contact zone and at the breakdown.

I'm sorry but you can't just make claims like that when there is no substantial evidence to back it up. O'Connor missed 3 tackles (two on Rene Ranger, one on Frank Halai resulting in a try) before he went off. He was not physical or direct in that game. Everyone makes mistakes.

I had him missing his first two tackles, and your concept of attacking the line and mine must be somewhat different, he did chuck some great passes ghosting sideways

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I had him missing his first two tackles, and your concept of attacking the line and mine must be somewhat different, he did chuck some great passes ghosting sideways

Two tackles :s jeez thats just horrible! Like I said, O'Connor missed (at least) 3 against the blues. I'm not saying that's bad, all players miss tackles but to say Quade's are somehow worse than O'Connors is simply implying a double standard.

That 'forward pass' to Morohan which resulted in one of the most brilliant non-tries I have seen was a result of him attacking the line. He did it numerous times and took on the defence when required.

D

daz

The only surprise for me is the lack of whinging about Saiaa Fainga'a's selection...

No need to whine. We all know that if Saia touches the ball at the breakdown, or gets asked to pack a scrum inside the Wallaby half, there is a 60% chance he will give away a kickable penalty.

It's what he does.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Do you mean the Barnes who delivered a perfect pass for Hooper to score and got over the line himself last night? The one who also knocked down 40-50m kicks? Seriously, perception.

Barnes was seriously good last night, but I think you are forgetting that under Deans he can be expected to revert to the atrocious kicking game that most of us deplore.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
No need to whine. We all know that if Saia touches the ball at the breakdown, or gets asked to pack a scrum inside the Wallaby half, there is a 60% chance he will give away a kickable penalty.

It's what he does.

Thank you for not disappointing me. No surprises here now.

Reactions: daz

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

I'm not sure O'Connor's ribs want to hear "physiciality" so soon after his encounter with the rampaging Ranger.

But just to stir the pot some more, perhaps Deans hasn't watched this just yet:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm not sure O'Connor's ribs want to hear "physiciality" so soon after his encounter with the rampaging Ranger.

But just to stir the pot some more, perhaps Deans hasn't watched this just yet:

that wasn't defending in the line, which is Dean's point, nice slow down though though, he still fell off, came again and was pushed off

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think quade will be in the 6 players named in June. His only problem is that he is only a 10. We have 3 potential 10's already with JOC (James O'Connor), lilo and Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.