• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

This ridiculous. The man until yesterday hadn't had played a few minutes in 3 months and now after one losing Shute Shield match he's invites to wallaby training. Australian Rugby is becoming a farce.

Could not agree more. Now getting through a game against mostly amateurs (Well not quite, it's Sydney Uni after all) without completing fucking up is now enough to be eligible to play in a once in a career event?

That's ignoring the fact that he was pretty average in the EOYT last year and absolutely woeful in the Bledisloe Cup encounter. Then there's the off field issues which still have not been really resolved, he's just been rolled out the red carpet to rush back after essentially ticking a couple of boxes. I'd be willing to wager Kurtley will fuck up again off field.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
why not Schatz instead of journeyman McCalman?
I don't really agree with the selection, but how is he a journeyman? He's, what, 24, and has played at one team for his entire career. He's had an equally good season to Schatz - solid but not spectacular - and has Test experience on his side.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
I
Fair point but Phipps and Douglas are just. Some will argue Phipps over White but at least we have a second 9 actually playing in Australia.

With Phipps in now at least for the moment - imagine if Burgess is still picked and our second best 9 is considered number 4 on the pecking order - wtf

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't really agree with the selection, but how is he a journeyman? He's, what, 24, and has played at one team for his entire career. He's had an equally good season to Schatz - solid but not spectacular - and has Test experience on his side.
A journeyman is not someone who moves from club to club.
an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Well historically it goes back to craftsmen who would travel around to gain experience, but I'm happy to be wrong in context. Even if we go with that definition, that's Schatz to a T. Schatz isn't playing obviously better than McCalman, and McCalman has Test experience. It's not a controversial pick in that regard. I wonder if Deans is looking at McCalman for lock cover - he thinks MMM might not make it and wants someone else who can play that role?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Then maybe he should've picked a lock who was playing well?

I can at least think of one lock/backrower with test experience who has played quite well this year (exceptional in recent weeks) but I don't want to be accused of being "one eyed" for going against the great master coach.........

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Well historically it goes back to craftsmen who would travel around to gain experience, but I'm happy to be wrong in context. Even if we go with that definition, that's Schatz to a T. Schatz isn't playing obviously better than McCalman, and McCalman has Test experience. It's not a controversial pick in that regard. I wonder if Deans is looking at McCalman for lock cover - he thinks MMM might not make it and wants someone else who can play that role?

Yup Schatz travelled to SA and Kiwiland with Reds - I guess thats travelling around..... I dont get the difference with experience for someone who has played once or twice with the wallabies as opposed to someone who has not played yet - just a thought though :)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Then maybe he should've picked a lock who was playing well?

I can think if at least think of one lock/backrowers with test experience who has played quite well this year (exceptional in recent weeks) but I don't want to be accused of being "one eyed" for going against the great master coach...
He has picked Douglas at least? I don't agree with the selection, I'm just trying to work out what the logic is behind it. These players aren't being picked out of a hat, they are being picked for a reason. Struggling to work out exactly what those reasons are though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What he did/does off field doesn't even come into this. He just hasn't put the work in to get in this squad. What sort of a message does it send to those that have!

Thank god some around here are have sense and reason.

It is a mockery. If he can't put in the work himself to get back into contention then he should not be considered for the wallabies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Yup Schatz travelled to SA and Kiwiland with Reds - I guess thats travelling around... I dont get the difference with experience for someone who has played once or twice with the wallabies as opposed to someone who has not played yet - just a thought though :)
McCalman has played 21 Tests according to Wiki. If it was lineball between him and Schatz I imagine that will have got him over the line. That and his ability to play lock at a pinch. I don't see why we need three 8s in a squad though.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
McCalman has played 21 Tests according to Wiki. If it was lineball between him and Schatz I imagine that will have got him over the line. That and his ability to play lock at a pinch. I don't see why we need three 8s in a squad though.

My bad then if he has played 21 tests - but i really cant remember any memorable moments in his 21 tests mate - you are correct that he can switch to lock so that is probably dingo's reasoning

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Cooper out played Dean's 10,
Then Phipps selection tops it off, White - enough said above.
Surely the ARU has to start questioning some selections, and the reasons behind them.
McCalmann I can't even tell you what Soup side he plays for, that's how much he's stood out.

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
So true Dave Beat..

Surely the politics have casued enough pain to the core of Aussie rugby supporters. Pathetic that White not in team...

ON another note - Hooper could play inside centre - got the pace and imagine his midfield defence and work @ breakdown... theres an idea... Link would give it a go...

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He's played at 12 for club and from what I remember hearing it didn't go spectacularly well and he said he didn't like it too much either.

If he'd get shifted out to any position it would be wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.