• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Deans and Co have no integrity and no ethics. They talk constantly about form and fitness and experience and they then go and blow that out of the water by doing exactly like they intended all along. Apart from a few notable injuries this squad was picked last year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When did Deans say he'd pick on form? Picking on form will get you no where. The ABs best players were Smith and Nonu yesterday. Granted Dagg was still shit but the others were very good. They wouldn't make an ABs D team on form.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
and be better at the tackle, the Reds were stripped far too often in one on ones

I would usually agree but the stats speak a different story. Reds missed tackles = 22, Lions = 32. I Agree this is due to the game plan each team had but it still shows that tackles are missed in the best of teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apart from a few notable injuries this squad was picked last year.

This is the reality of professional rugby. When the Wallabies are playing 15 tests in a year they are a side in their own right and each series will build on what has come before.

Barring a few bolters and changes forced by injury, the coach is always going to be looking to work with the players they have before and continue building on where they left off.

Whilst a change of coach might result in some new different choices, the basic premise of working with a squad that re-assembles for each series will remain.

I think it is a throwback to amateur days to expect selections to be largely form based with no mind to the team that played together last time.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
When did Deans say he'd pick on form? Picking on form will get you no where. The ABs best players were Smith and Nonu yesterday. Granted Dagg was still shit but the others were very good. They wouldn't make an ABs D team on form.

That's the telling difference between the two camp set ups. Hansen (and Graeme previously) would take out of form players and weave magic. It happens time and time again.

In Australia, we have in form players going into camp and coming back worse off.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Plus there's only 3 weeks to prepare, new faces would take longer to come up to speed with the systems and structures.

That's the telling difference between the two camp set ups. Hansen (and Graeme previously) would take out of form players and weave magic. It happens time and time again.

In Australia, we have in form players going into camp and coming back worse off.

And that's solely Deans' fault is it?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
?? MMM looks fine to me. He's playing pretty well though. looks to have a bit of rust, Playing wide of the ruck but is carrying well and is getting into position in defence well. As long as he pulls through uninjured he is surely a shoe-in

If he pulls up ok, I would have no argument with either MMM or Kimlin.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

If you believe in magic, good luck to you.

New Zealand has far more depth, far more rugby nous, than we have.

They are not just better than us, they are better than everybody else, too. Why is that Deans' fault?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

He might not have said that he will pick on form, but his standard response in the past two weeks when asked about players who missed out on the initial squad of 25 was that they each now had a perfect opportunity to press their claims in the intervening matches. In certain cases, QC (Quade Cooper), Beale and Burgess, and probably Pat McCabe, that simply turned out to be untrue or misleading. QC (Quade Cooper) was never a chance, and the two Bs didn't need to do anything to cement their places. If the list above is right, I can accept that Sio and Kimlin have earned their spots through current form.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Obviously it's the wealth of assistant coaches that have been churned through.

And funnily enough Deans chooses the assistant coaches....

So yes, I would say the Head coach plays a major role in the ability to translate provincial form into international form.

If you believe in magic, good luck to you.
New Zealand has far more depth, far more rugby nous, than we have.
They are not just better than us, they are better than everybody else, too. Why is that Deans' fault?

You're starting to sound like Deans. They're just too good hey? Well why do we even bother playing the bastards then? We have an amazing set of players that have shown time and time again they can compete with their New Zealand Counterparts.

Now try telling Ewen McKenzie that we don't have the depth to beat the Kiwis. Undefeated against them this year with the 5th tier flyhalf in Australia. Gee they're just too good hey :(.

Sorry but I really don't like that negative attitude. Yes they are a brilliant rugby nation and are the best in the world. But they are bloody well beatable.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon that I could coach the All Blacks. There is such depth and breadth in New Zealand Rugby, that even I could not ruin it in a season.

Deans has been trying to build that depth and breadth here, a very difficult, perhaps impossible, task.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6660888208

Former Wallabies halfback Luke Burgess also joined the Wallabies in camp after a shoulder injury cruelly ruled Nic White out of contention.

Brumbies Pat McCabe, Scott Sio and Peter Kimlin also entered camp, and Digby Ioane also returned, although it is not known if all will be officially named in the six. It is expected several players will be used as training squad members only during the week.

So, it's not known if all six will be officially named, despite there conveniently being six of them... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.