• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Pocock is awesome at the core skills of a flanker - pilfering, slowing rucks, cover defense, tight defense.

McCabe is average to poor at most of the core skills of a 12 - running hard, footwork, passing, tackling.

T

Train Without a Station

Tight defence? Traditionally your openside flanker has been ideally your quickest forward. I'd consider hitting wider rucks, cover defence and defending the channel between the forwards and the backline to be more of a core openside skill than tight defence. You've got 5 tight forwards who aren't quick enough to get wide and are susceptible to being stepped by fleetfooted backs. I always assumed you wanted them defending closer to the ruck.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Pocock is awesome at the core skills of a flanker - pilfering, slowing rucks, cover defense, tight defense.

McCabe is average to poor at most of the core skills of a 12 - running hard, footwork, passing, tackling.

McCabe is average to poor at running hard and tackling, is he?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Tight defence? Traditionally your openside flanker has been ideally your quickest forward. I'd consider hitting wider rucks, cover defence and defending the channel between the forwards and the backline to be more of a core openside skill than tight defence. You've got 5 tight forwards who aren't quick enough to get wide and are susceptible to being stepped by fleetfooted backs. I always assumed you wanted them defending closer to the ruck.

Should have said strong or front on defense.

T

Train Without a Station

With the current Deans game plan he would be our best option. But once Deans is eventually succeeded, providing he doesn't hang on longer than Kim Jong-Ill, I believe Hooper, or possibly Gill (Though I consider Hooper the better option), will be our best option at 7 if we play a game that suits or playing stock's strengths.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Gill is a very good player but I believe hooper is exceptional.
They have both played in 14 games, these are their current stats on rugby stats site.
Tries 3:2 hooper
Try assists 3:0 hooper most in super rugby for backrower
Line breaks 10:3 hooper 2nd most of all players in super rugby
Tackle busts 27:10 hooper 3rd most for backrower in super rugby
Offloads 6:3 hooper
Running Metres 708:383 hooper 18th best all players in super rugby
Pilfers 9:5 Gill, gill 1st in Super Rugby hooper 4th best backrowers
Forced turnovers 5:5 each 3rd best backrowers in super rugby
Tackles 188:155 hooper 3rd best in super rugby

In summary gill has 4 more pilfers, whilst hooper has 1 more try, 3 more try assists, 7 more line breaks, 17 more tackle busts, 3 more offloads, 325 more running metres, and they both have the same forced turnovers. Hooper has achieved all this with only 3 more runs than Gill.
But should anything happen to hooper we are very lucky to have gill as a backup.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodgson needs to be in the squad he was massive tonight against the lions.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Gill is a very good player but I believe hooper is exceptional.
They have both played in 14 games, these are their current stats on rugby stats site.
Tries 3:2 hooper
Try assists 3:0 hooper most in super rugby for backrower
Line breaks 10:3 hooper 2nd most of all players in super rugby
Tackle busts 27:10 hooper 3rd most for backrower in super rugby
Offloads 6:3 hooper
Running Metres 708:383 hooper 18th best all players in super rugby
Pilfers 9:5 Gill, gill 1st in Super Rugby hooper 4th best backrowers
Forced turnovers 5:5 each 3rd best backrowers in super rugby
Tackles 188:155 hooper 3rd best in super rugby

In summary gill has 4 more pilfers, whilst hooper has 1 more try, 3 more try assists, 7 more line breaks, 17 more tackle busts, 3 more offloads, 325 more running metres, and they both have the same forced turnovers. Hooper has achieved all this with only 3 more runs than Gill.
But should anything happen to hooper we are very lucky to have gill as a backup.

Sounds like Hooper should play 12.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Good at tackling, average at effective hard running.

He runs hard but at international level he doesn't make much of an impact with it.

Sorry but you have to give it to McCabe, he is a very good ball runner and takes good lines/ makes it over the advantage line most times. Problem is that thats about all he does well... Completely one-dimensional and doesn't offer any skill set other than his running and defence. He doesn't suit a wallaby backline. Horne on the other hand has shown that he can now offload and actually distribute which is vital. Still, Lilo is miles ahead of both of them and still provides a good crash ball option.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
You want your openside making cover tackles here you go, a prime example. Pocock is defending the inside channel, notices Habana make a break, makes a great covering tackle (on the fastest man in rugby may i add), then gets back up and makes another and pretty much completely shuts down a very dangerous play single-handedly. This is the stuff Pocock does day in day out... We cant suddenly start calling him a slow 'Pat MacCabe-like' flanker just because you are comparing him with Hooper (who admittedly is very quick). He defends in the backline just as much as he defends in tight, often making tackles on backs and then proceeding to get back to his feet and win a turnover. He is undeniably one of if not THE best flanker on the planet, and its not just me who says that. Why are people even criticising him in the first place, certainly no professional analysts of the game have are of the opinion that Pocock is like Pat McPotato in a 7 jersey.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
That has to be a joke.
Why has it got to be a joke? He has been massive all year can cover 6 7 and 8 and showed tonight he can mix it with the big boys. If you want a back row utility here are non better in aus and he is also a handy lineout option he isnt the talest guy but get up quick.pound for pound he is the strongest player in aus if not super rugby. He has test expereince and 2 man of the match mid week games. He Was never really give the chance to show what he can do in a gold jersey.
The real joke is that he plays for the force hence he wont get a look in.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Why are people even criticising him in the first place, certainly no professional analysts of the game have are of the opinion that Pocock is like Pat McPotato in a 7 jersey.

Holey sh*t had a good laugh at that one haha. And yeh I tend to agree with what you're saying but one of the issues is that we've seen hardly any of him lately and I guess that distorts our image of what he used to play like. With such great depth in the 7 position I'm sure you can see why we would be getting excited about players like Gill and Hooper. They would undoubtedly be up there with the best.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I simply cannot believe that anyone here really thinks that both Hooper and Gill have overtaken Pocock. You must have lost your mind! How many Tests has Gill played? How many MOM performances has he put in as a Wallaby? How many match-winning games has played for the Wallabies? I'm not even an Ausssie and I'm offended that anyone would consider Gill to be a better option, a better 7 or a better player than Pocock right now. I can see the argument for Hooper ( I don't agree but I can see the argument) but Gill? Gill?! Liam Gill?!?

Geeez.....have some respect for your great Wallaby players!!

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
Holey sh*t had a good laugh at that one haha. And yeh I tend to agree with what you're saying but one of the issues is that we've seen hardly any of him lately and I guess that distorts our image of what he used to play like. With such great depth in the 7 position I'm sure you can see why we would be getting excited about players like Gill and Hooper. They would undoubtedly be up there with the best.
Yea and thats why its so frustrating, yes hes injured but he was in top form and knowing him he will come back even stronger. Not saying i dont love seeing Gill and Hooper play, they are hugely exciting players, Hooper especially, in fact he is one of my favourite players to watch in rugby BUT that doesnt mean we can suddenly forget about Pocock. There is a reason he is hailed "as one of the greatest openside flankers the game has ever seen." And lets not forget what he brings to the team in terms of leadership.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/06/11/deans-hails-pocock-best-ever/
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...ld-and-his-own-man-off-it-20111014-1lo14.html

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
I simply cannot believe that anyone here really thinks that both Hooper and Gill have overtaken Pocock. You must have lost your mind! How many Tests has Gill played? How many MOM performances has he put in as a Wallaby? How many match-winning games has played for the Wallabies? I'm not even an Ausssie and I'm offended that anyone would consider Gill to be a better option, a better 7 or a better player than Pocock right now. I can see the argument for Hooper ( I don't agree but I can see the argument) but Gill? Gill?! Liam Gill?!?

Geeez...have some respect for your great Wallaby players!!
Thank you! Finally some sense!

T

Train Without a Station

can cover 6 7 and 8

That's the joke. The bloke wears 6 or 8 and plays as a 7 at Super Rugby level. We already have 2 7's in the squad. You won't even always have 2 in the match day squad. Having a 3rd in the squad would be completely superfluous. He is a great super rugby player, has been tried at international level and just isn't good enough as a 7 to compete with our top 3 openside flankers.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
He is the openside equivalent of Pat McCabe at 12.

I watched this game once where David Pocock individually won the bloody thing. Not with a try at the death or a penalty kick, but by ruling the breakdown from the first minute to the last. It was the RWC 2011 quarter final. I can't think of a better performance by a Wallaby in the last decade.

Pat McCabe. Do be fucking serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.