• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Backup Scrum-half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
With burgess gone and white injured we have non existent depth at scrum half.

Phipps is the current backup but he was pretty poor during the super rugby this season and there are questions marks about whether he is even the best halfback at the rebels, let alone a wallaby regular.

At the reds, Lucas is serviceable but not a test standard scrummy. If he ever gets capped for the wallabies I hope it is at flyhalf or fullback as he is far better player in those positions. Frisby has a bright future but probably not ready to be anywhere near the test team just yet.

Mckibben is meh, Sheehan is on his last legs, Kingi is mostly a fullback nowadays, Stirzaker is too green.

I think that Ian Prior from the brumbies is our man. Didn't play a huge amount of rugby this season, but never looked out of place when he did play. If it were not for white having a decent season I suspect his name would be bought up much more often.

I'd be interested to know everyones opinion on who is our best back-up option?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
At the moment I would go for Ben Lucas for the reasons you have stated. He is a good 10/15 who can play 9. Deans won't replace Genia unless absolutely necessary (IMHO) and the ability to cover the other positions gives the Wallabies greater bench flexibility. The other one who rarely seems to get mentioned is James Stannard from the Force, I know he started at 10 for them and not having the opportunity to watch them play how did he go?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
At the moment I would go for Ben Lucas for the reasons you have stated. He is a good 10/15 who can play 9. Deans won't replace Genia unless absolutely necessary (IMHO) and the ability to cover the other positions gives the Wallabies greater bench flexibility. The other one who rarely seems to get mentioned is James Stannard from the Force, I know he started at 10 for them and not having the opportunity to watch them play how did he go?

Agree totally, with white out, and a preferred 5-2 bench split, Lucas is the best choice by far.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i'd go kinghi. 9,10,11,14 and 15. plus if he has to go in for the final 10-15 mins he has another dimension - being his excellent attack either form the ruck or counter attack.
he is much better than phipps. his injury at the start of this year was a shame as on form he would have remained ahead of phipps at the rebels all year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm with Lucas on this one aswell. Even if he doesn't get used, at least he can cover more positions then Phipps would.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Lucas then Kingi

Lucas is just solid and you will rarely lose you a game, Kingi is too erratic but has a lot of potential. Be good to see him get regular time there next year. Could be similar to a Kerr-Barlow type player if he continues to improve.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is a classic situation where the five franchises should be directed a bit more closely in terms of selections. Much of the experimentation at the international level could be avoided, or at least made less painful, if the Super Rugby team selections were coordinated from the national coaching level.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is a classic situation where the five franchises should be directed a bit more closely in terms of selections. Much of the experimentation at the international level could be avoided, or at least made less painful, if the Super Rugby team selections were coordinated from the national coaching level.

How would it apply to this situation though?

We have an excellent backup to Genia in White, but he's injured..........

Then the next best options are hardly desirable.........

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Within the next two years if he remains injury free , this will be Stirzaker. Has a real x factor and will likely go past Phipps at the Rebs next year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How would it apply to this situation though?

We have an excellent backup to Genia in White, but he's injured....

Then the next best options are hardly desirable...

I am pontificating, as usual. However, I do not share your adoration of White, even though he plays for Eastwood. Sometimes. He is okay, nothing more. For all we know Kingi might be a world-beater.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)

Yeah - Lets have Deans pick all the teams... he's shit enough at ONE.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Having watched Phipps all year, I have warmed to him a lot in the latter half of the year. Dangerous around the ruck, fairly good pass, and showing some good drive. I'd have him ahead of most in Australia. Irony then that I suspect that 3 are better, 2 of which are at the Rebels and the other isn't selected at the worst team in our conference - Kingi, Stirzaker and Godwin.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Having watched Phipps all year, I have warmed to him a lot in the latter half of the year. Dangerous around the ruck, fairly good pass, and showing some good drive. I'd have him ahead of most in Australia. Irony then that I suspect that 3 are better, 2 of which are at the Rebels and the other isn't selected at the worst team in our conference - Kingi, Stirzaker and Godwin.
To bad Godwins not a half back

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Meh brain fade, too much red wine, Holmes is not Godwin - do like Godwin, maybe he should play scrumhalf, we need those :p

Status
Not open for further replies.