• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies: Latest Injuries and selection for Test 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Hi All

It's hard to know which side to field next week given the unknown with injuries. Pls let me know if I've missed anything.

Definite injuries are:

* Pocock
* Timani
* TPN
* Palmer
* Higginbotham

Suspected Injuries:
* Ioane
* McCabe
* AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Let's assume none of the above are available. I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) should play 10 again as he didn't appear to be ready for that position. What is clear is that we have major issues at 10, 12, 13 and regardless of who we pick, combos will be lacking.

My thoughts are to select either the Brumbies 10, 12, 13 or the Reds 10, 12, 13 simply to ensure combinations are there. I think Beale should play 15, he looked good again last night.

Forwards played quite well last night although we didn't jackle much or any ball. I thought Hooper was good but was lacking a bit of physicality. I'd start Smith if he's available.

1. Robbo
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Douglas
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. To'omua/Cooper
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Lilo/Taps
13. Kurindrani/Fainga'a
14. Folau
15. Beale

If Horwill is cited, bring in 3M or Kimlin. Simmons will probably start. Back reserves:

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Kepu
19. Kimlin/3M
20. Hooper
21. Phipps
22. Barnes/Horne
23. Tomane/Cummins

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hi All

It's hard to know which side to field next week given the unknown with injuries. Pls let me know if I've missed anything.

Definite injuries are:

* Pocock
* Timani
* TPN
* Palmer
* Higginbotham

Suspected Injuries:
* Ioane
* McCabe

Let's assume none of the above are available. I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) should play 10 again as he didn't appear to be ready for that position. What is clear is that we have major issues at 10, 12, 13 and regardless of who we pick, combos will be lacking.

My thoughts are to select either the Brumbies 10, 12, 13 or the Reds 10, 12, 13 simply to ensure combinations are there. I think Beale should play 15, he looked good again last night.

Forwards played quite well last night although we didn't jackle much or any ball. I thought Hooper was good but was lacking a bit of physicality. I'd start Smith if he's available.

1. Robbo
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Douglas
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. To'omua/Cooper
11. Tomane
12. Lilo/Taps
13. Kurindrani/Fainga'a
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

If Horwill is cited, bring in 3M or Kimlin. Simmons will probably start. Back reserves:

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Kepu
19. Kimlin/3M
20. Hooper
21. Phipps
22. Barnes/Horne
23. Tomane/Cummins

Not sure how you can justify dropping Hooper after last night, he was exceptional when playing OSF and then did pretty well and played courageously out of position. Wasn't his fault they scored, they just exploited the opportunity well.

Probably hard to speculate what the backline will be until we know the injury toll but regardless of that I'd say Beale is a cert to start at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) will either go to the back 3 somewhere or the bench. QC (Quade Cooper) will get the call up as will Drew Mitchell, assuming at least 2 backs are ruled out.

youngone

Allen Oxlade (6)
JOC (James O'Connor) looked like a boy playing among men last night. A 10 who can find penetrating runners would be particularly useful.

Also thought that it wouldn't be the worst if Digby was unable to play - he looked very one dimensional. Morahan/Tomane would be a safer option.

T

TOCC

I said it elsewhere, but JOC (James O'Connor)'s selection was heavily dependant on Lealifano playing at 12 and providing that extra ball distribution.

He played exactly as expected last night, the backline harmony was just disjointed following Lilo's head knock...

As for Tomane or Morahan over Digby?.... No, if anyone is to start ahead if him it would have to be Mitchell.. In saying that, Digby wasn't horrible, he actually had a very high work rate he was just unable to penetrate.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hi All

Definite injuries are:

* Pocock
* Timani
* TPN
* Palmer
* Higginbotham

Suspected Injuries:
* Ioane
* McCabe

Paradox - you didn't list Folau in the start, or bench?
How's Barnes?
With his concussion history I'd expect concerns.

Would like to see
9. Genia.
10. Cooper.
11. ??
12. Lilo - hope he pulls through.
13. JOC (James O'Connor) - IMO I think he would excel.
14. Folau - I was proven wrong.
15. Beale

George Smith / Michael Hooper I'd toss a coin both great players.

P

Paradox

Dave Beat
Oops crap should have been Folau instead of Tomane. Will revise.

TOCC
I'm assuming Diggers is injured. In any event, his physicality was poor last night. At one point he was held up by Sexton and turned over. Looks way underdone.

P

Paradox

KOB1987

Probably harsh on Hooper but I want to damage them more at the breakdown and I think Smith could do that. In reality, if Smith is available, he'd probably start from the bench or not be selected.

In terms of Hoopy playing at 12 and missing that tackle, in no way would I hold that against him. As an aside, I actually think BOD ran obstruction on JOC (James O'Connor) but oh well. JOC (James O'Connor) didn't look to tackle BOD, BOD just crashed into him.

I think Smith can just win game changing turnovers better than Hoopy and that's what we need to attack from.

P

Paradox

This is what I think Deans will go with and it looks ok, I just worry about combinations.

9. Genia
10. Beale
11. Tomane
12. Lilo
13. Horne
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
KOB1987

Probably harsh on Hooper but I want to damage them more at the breakdown and I think Smith could do that. In reality, if Smith is available, he'd probably start from the bench or not be selected.

I think Smith can just win game changing turnovers better than Hoopy and that's what we need to attack from.
I agree, he will cause more damage at the breakdown.
He adds another dimension with ball in hand by creating extra width.
But Hoops had a good game.
The fact that Smith can play 6, 7, and 8 I think could be a benefit worth taking note of.

T

TOCC

This is what I think Deans will go with and it looks ok, I just worry about combinations.

9. Genia
10. Beale
11. Tomane
12. Lilo
13. Horne
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

Tomane?

I really don't see why, Ioane didn't play badly and Tomane hasn't been exactly in great form jn 2013.

P

Paradox

Why would you pick Tomane over Mitchell? Tomanes form in 2013 hasn't been that great, and Mitchell put in a fantastic performance in the Tahs v Lions match

Tomane's form has been quite good and much better than Mitchell's this year. Tomane always wins collisions and is a better defender - he's got 8-9 kgs of weight on Mitchell and unlike Mitchell is currently in the squad . We need his extra phyisicalty. Tomane hasn't put in any bad games. Had less opportunities. See from 1:21

P

Paradox

Tomane?

I really don't see why, Ioane didn't play badly and Tomane hasn't been exactly in great form jn 2013.

Ioane had a poor game and as I said, I've assumed he's injured - when was the last time you saw Ioane held up by anyone let alone a flyhalf? Disagree about you've stated in any event. When has Tomane been poor? What has he done wrong? We need his physicality against the Lions.

Sparky

Frank Nicholson (4)
Lets say all 4 casualties are out for this week I would like to see
9. Genia
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Ioane
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Taps
14. Folau
15. Beale

21. Phibbs
22. Horne
23. Mitchell

What I think deans will go with
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Ioane
12. Horne
13. ??? Taps maybe faiiniga
14. Folau
15. Beale

21. Phibbs
22. QC (Quade Cooper)
23. Morahan

I think hooper played exceptionally well last night too, he was very disciplined and didn't give away 6 points like I have seen him do before for the tahs, and then to play in the back line and play well was a great effort. I was at the game aswell and was one of the best sporting events I have ever attended. The lions fans were great and the game as unreal. If only we didn't get injuries and QC (Quade Cooper) out there...!!

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why not just pick lilo at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12? JOC (James O'Connor) can make a play and run a ball but cant steer a ship!

9. Genia
10. Lilo
11. Diggers/Tomane
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Horne
14. Folau
15. Beale

Or even Beale to 10, JOC (James O'Connor) to fullback and keep Lilo in 12

P

Paradox

rigs23
I worry about JOCs defense at 12. I reckon he'd go ok at 13 but he's a great winger so let's play him there.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
rigs23
I worry about JOCs defense at 12. I reckon he'd go ok at 13 but he's a great winger so let's play him there.

I think 13 is a lot harder to defend than 12. For the most part I believe defending at 12 is similar to defending at 10.

In that case JOC (James O'Connor) to 14, Beale to 10, and Folau to 15. Or even (if fit) Barnes to 10, Beale 15, JOC (James O'Connor) 11, Izzy 14, Lilo 12. We are lucky we have such versatile players in such an injury prone team

Status
Not open for further replies.