• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies: Looking to the World Cup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Have an U21 team in the 3t may assist.

There has been talk of expanding the Wallaby Gold program to Under 19 to help with a pathway for the JRWC. This would be a better solution in my eyes than a U21 comp.
Players will still have the SS and Premier Rugby to develop their skills after JRWC before making a NRC team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So, looking ahead to the world cup, i've been mulling this over with a few bot.glasses of Torebrecks Shiraz.

Generally, it's rugby lore that ou need 5 world class players in your team to win a world cup. It's also agreed that the rest of your players can't be muppets either. So, do we have the cattle? It's pretty clear to me, and has been since the Argie game in Perth, that Link is starting to wring the extra 10% out of our players, and getting them to play as a team. On the coaching side of things, i'm stoked.

Player wise, who could be one of the 5 world class players?

IMO, we have Moore, Pocock, Genia (on form), Cooper, Folau, as of the Wales game, who are world XV viable players.

A slight notch down from that, we've got Hooper, Fardy, Horwill (again, on form), To'omua, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mowen (i'm going off his Lions form before he hurt his neck and lost power/strength) who with another year or two of solidarity in a single position, will I think also be contenders for their jersey in a world XV. To'omua and Fardy especially have taken to test rugby like a pig in mud, it's really surprising to remember they've both only played about 5 tests and are already rocks in the team.

So, with another 18 months of development, who else is getting a good vibe about this world cup?

Higgers, Beale and possibly JOC (James O'Connor) would add some value to the squad too.

Palu could push for the notch down group if he can have 12 months injury free.

I would argue that Simmons is our best exponent at line out currently. If he can sort out his aggression, as in how he uses it, then he will be a valuable part of the team.

Like it or not the current squad will make up probably close to the entire squad for the RWC. 1 or 2 guys may rise to push for spots but if the squad isn't pretty settled in the next 12 months we are in trouble.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know that the 18/20s need support, but we also need a space where the pigs (and I guess backs) can mature and learn the dark arts.

That means it needs to be a place where some of the oldies can share their knowledge and attitude.

For example we had Tim Fairbrother running around in the Shute Shield, having him around some young props could have been rather helpful

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think we already have 15 - 20 players that are world classs (otherwise they wouldn't be playing for the Wallabies).

However I believe that by the World Cup several will be considered as top (or very close to top) players in the world.

I am firmly of the belief that we will perform very well in the world cup. Hopefully the good old Australian public, including the commentators and posters on rugby sites start to look at the wallabies in a positive way and stop kicking the shit out of nearly anyone in an Aussie jersey PS that goes for me as well !!!!!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
When players like Moore, Horwill, Higgenbotham, Pocock, Genia, Cooper, To'omua and Cummins are on song, they are up there with the best. It's just consistency that's missing.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Add Speight too that list his up there with best wingers in the world..

Kyle Goodwin has the skill to be there just time will tell his fantastic.. but a long shot. We have 3 7's there and colby if he gets his shit together is awesome

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree that Speight has to prove he can succeed at the international level, I just also think we should be giving him as many chances as we can until he's a lost cause.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Woah now, so a player who has never played test rugby is up there with the best in the world!

Good player yes, but let's wait until he plays test rugby before making those calls

Leading try score past 2 super 15's, rated by NZ commentaries as the best Australian winger possibly the best winger in the comp. Won the best player of the club world 7 comp (I know 7's) but just because you aren't playing tests (yet) doesn't stop you from being world class.

And I was talking by 2015 he would be..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He's one of the guys I think can push for a spot in the RWC 30. Is a genuine try scorer.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Speight is a machine. It's not just his try scoring strike rate, or the fact that a significant percentage of his tries are solo efforts, eg against the Tahs last year, but that he's got such a complete game.

He rarely misses a tackle, he's like an extra openside out wide (which is immensely valuable when you consider most tries are scored off counter attack), he's solid under the high ball and is seriously quick.

If we can get an aggressive, rock solid pack together, then god we're going to be good.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Speight looks good. But, as the man said, it's a long way to the top, etc etc.

Test rugby, particularly against the Blucks and Seffers, is a whole different bowl of kava.

I just read a quote from Drew Mitchell saying Speight was the hardest to mark in Defence and Attack in Super 15.. I know we have to wait and see but alot of people seem to think his got the goods.. Here's hoping

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think we already have 15 - 20 players that are world classs (otherwise they wouldn't be playing for the Wallabies).

What is your definition of "world class"? Anybody who plays for the Wallabies? Some pretty average footballers have played for the national team over the years.

It is a judgement call, but I would only class 8 or 10 out of our current squad as world class. Folau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Genia, maybe Cooper, Moore, Hooper, Pocock at his best, maybe To'omua, Lilo in his 2012 form. Another top season from Fardy would put him in the bracket. Beale back at his best would be there, too.

T

Train Without a Station

I just read a quote from Drew Mitchell saying Speight was the hardest to mark in Defence and Attack in Super 15.. I know we have to wait and see but alot of people seem to think his got the goods.. Here's hoping

Victor Matfield also said Digby Ioane was the hardest hitter in world rugby. It's one person's opinion and Speight still may not immediately make the step up to international rugby. Plenty of great players have taken a little time to reach the required level.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If we beat both the Bokke and the Blucks next season, preferably more than once each, I will begin to think that we might make the semis. However, our depth is not great, all it would take is for three or four of our "world class" players to fall over, and we will struggle big time. Our two SH opponents are both capable of winning even without any three of their best players, because they have so much depth. We have no depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.