1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies squad for Ireland series

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by Brumby Jack, May 30, 2018.

1. Derpus Steve Williams (59)

Fortunately for you, this is the internet and you can throw around wild speculation as much as you want.
  2. KOB1987 Andrew Slack (58)

I think he already knows who his 23 is for the Ireland tests so there is some crossover with positions 24-33 as to whether they are the next best options or part of the RWC plans. Tui I suspect fits into the latter group. Higgers may fall into the former group, #33 is yet to be announced.
    TSR likes this.
  3. TSR Peter Johnson (47)

I am certainly happy if anyone who has genuine insight into the situation wants to shoot me down, and I was clear in my post that no one should take it as gospel.

I know nothing of Cheika's personal approach to these things - and I am not even saying it is Cheika at fault. Maybe Higgers got a review that was well founded but he didn't like. Or maybe none of it happened.

I do know enough to know that these sort of personality clashes do happen - particularly where high performance is involved and professional pride/egos.
  4. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

I don’t think so. Hanigan is doubtful and Samu has been denied. Tuis match fitness’s under question.
    Hooker is also up in the air with Ueleses injury.
  5. KOB1987 Andrew Slack (58)

I think Latu will walk into Uelese's spot.

Re the #6, Timu will likely start so let's go through the process of elimination for the #20:
    Wells - unlikely, too short
    McCaffery - small chance
    Higginbotham - possibly
    Cottrell - unlikely, too short
    RHP - small chance.

My money is on Higgers, if he refuses to pick him though and wants to take a punt on someone else it would probably be McCaffery
    TSR likes this.
  6. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

I would say he would be more likely to start a Tui at 6 if fit and then bring on Timu early in the second half.
    dru likes this.
  7. KOB1987 Andrew Slack (58)

OK, regardless of that though we're still looking for #33 squad inclusion. The fact that nothing's been announced could indicate that he wants to have a look at McCaffrey today. Or that they're still playing hard ball over Samu.
  8. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

I suspect they will wait until after today and look at the possible squad replacements / additions needed - Uelese, Samu, maybe Hanigan, then announce any changes. And hopefully not any more after today's match. ;)
    I think Latu's stocks will be higher simply by virtue of experience, rather than being better than other options like Rangi or Fitzpatrick.
    Higginbotham would be the logical back row replacement, by form and record, but it seems less likely to happen for whatever reason. Not sure McCaffrey is the answer.
  9. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

We will know tomorrow if he is going to bring another backrower in and who it will be.
  10. Up the Guts Mark Loane (55)

I'm a bit conflicted on Rangi, certainly he plays like a raging bull but sometimes he comes off second best when he rushes into conflict due to his size.
  11. HJ Nelson Cyril Towers (30)

12. KOB1987 Andrew Slack (58)

Ok well no further need for discussion!
    mst, Derpus and Tomikin like this.
  13. KOB1987 Andrew Slack (58)

It seems academic now pending Hanigan's fitness, but I'm sure he isn't the answer either for a broader problem. But as a squad inclusion for the Irish series, possibly.
  14. Strewthcobber Mark Ella (57)

Posted in the Reds Tahs thread, but worth here as well

Opta sports has Kerevi and Beale equal first in the comp for missed tackles with 35 for the season.

Not sure you can play those two in the same backline

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Brumby Runner and mst like this.
  15. Sully John Eales (66)

Pretty much what I said last year when he was picked. You can't play him, Foley, Beale and Folau in the same back line. There are too many dodgy defenders to hide.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Brumby Runner, mst and The Pirate like this.
  16. Zero_Cool Vay Wilson (31)

I generally agree but my concern is that if we look at the guy they were planning on having - Samu, there is no logic to the selections, because Samu he's too short. Once we consider that I can't work out the reasoning and it throws open any of the selections.
    Joe Blow likes this.
  17. KOB1987 Andrew Slack (58)

Yes, fair enough critique of my assessment. I think I was looking for a backup #6/8 in the event the starting one went down, so I overthought it. But Samu it is anyway. If McMahon was here he'd be in the squad too and he's 2 inches shorter than Samu. You can't start all 3 of them in the same 15 but you can have all 3 in the 23, especially if you have a 6:2 bench which I suspect will be the plan against this lot.
  18. RedsHappy Tony Shaw (54)

If the question relates to Super Rugby _as presently being played and designed as a comp_ then the answer is: quite possibly in a better place.

The value - commercial today and strategic tomorrow - of the Wallabies will, in the medium term, be most optimised by a process designed for Tier 2 of the pro code here that:

- provides fans with a predictable displays of good rugby skills

- provides games/teams that build tribal affinities

- yields more Aust team victories than losses, overall

- makes it at least possible that Australian teams can attain multiple finals position and win the whole comp with some regularity over say 3 year cycles

- provides games with a reasonably high level of Australian content vs teams that are least known about and geographically not very distant

(NB: the above also requires a far, far better approach to rugby coaching skills growth, coach recruitment and development as should be led by RA than exists today)

As it is today, Super Rugby provides none of the above and Wallaby crowds (and notably too, Wallaby skills levels) are markedly declining, although not at the rate of Super crowds.
  19. Up the Guts Mark Loane (55)

DHP probably did enough yesterday to nail down the 14 jersey. I'd still prefer to see Banks though with Maddocks on the bench.
    mst and RugbyReg like this.
  20. Derpus Steve Williams (59)

So Samu to get his first cap off the bench?

Timu locked in his spot last night.