• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies squad for Ireland series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Cheika has run with two only true jumpers before. It didn't end well. Why would this?

Sure Timu isn't Fardy/Simmons/Hanigan, but he's not inept, he's good enough to be a third option, he was jumping a lot more in the NRC.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Tahs have run with a 2 and a bit lineout this season and have done pretty well on their own, and sometimes the opposition lineout. Obviously 3 great options would be great, but I think 2 and a bit can work. I mean they had Simmo and Holloway on Saturday and Holloway is not the tallest lock @ 195cm. Did ok. Of course, Ireland are another proposition, but if you’re organised and clever with it...........
I’m not, by the way suggesting that we go with Simmo and Holloway, in case anyone wants to froth about that. Although Simmo is in the squad. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sure Timu isn't Fardy/Simmons/Hanigan, but he's not inept, he's good enough to be a third option, he was jumping a lot more in the NRC.

Actually, you have no idea how inept or otherwise he is at international level. It would be a foolish risk, that much is known.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Tahs have run with a 2 and a bit lineout this season and have done pretty well on their own, and sometimes the opposition lineout. Obviously 3 great options would be great, but I think 2 and a bit can work. I mean they had Simmo and Holloway on Saturday and Holloway is not the tallest lock @ 195cm. Did ok. Of course, Ireland are another proposition, but if you’re organised and clever with it.....
I’m not, by the way suggesting that we go with Simmo and Holloway, in case anyone wants to froth about that. Although Simmo is in the squad. ;)

Honest, how do you think they'd go against Ireland? We disrespect the line out here.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Honest, how do you think they'd go against Ireland? We disrespect the line out here.

What's the alternative given the squad and the fact Hooper and Pocock will both start? Play Simmons at 6 with Rodda and Coleman?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I said 3 is better, but 2 and a bit can work. We lost by a few points last time we played them in Ireland with probably a similar lineout makeup to that we’re discussing. It’s not unworkable. Why are you absolutely certain it cannot be workable?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I said 3 is better, but 2 and a bit can work. We lost by a few points last time we played them in Ireland with probably a similar lineout makeup to that we’re discussing. It’s not unworkable. Why are you absolutely certain it cannot be workable?

I haven't said it's unworkable. I've said it is an unwarranted risk. We disrespect the set piece, any set piece, at risk. Starting the Pooper is one thing, running on with two true jumpers is another.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I haven't said it's unworkable. I've said it is an unwarranted risk. We disrespect the set piece, any set piece, at risk. Starting the Pooper is one thing, running on with two true jumpers is another.
So who would you play as the third backrower?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So who would you play as the third backrower?

Personally it would be Fardy, then Higganbotham. After that Hobsons choice. Not Timu(needs more rugby, not yet a jumper), not Tui (too soon). When is Dempsey available? Otherwise I'd be thinking Hanigan, with discomfort.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Australian rugby is too set-piece oriented as it is.

Look at the tahs against the Chiefs. All our set piece was fine. Our only decent play came off set moves. But around the park? second best in every facet.

People have time and again criticized our dependence on structure.

besides all the alternatives you offered are unavailable, except Higginbotham but he may as well be.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Personally it would be Fardy, then Higganbotham. After that Hobsons choice. Not Timu(needs more rugby, not yet a jumper), not Tui (too soon). When is Dempsey available? Otherwise I'd be thinking Hanigan, with discomfort.
Dempsey is no lineout savant.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Dempsey is no lineout savant.

I say he's marginally better than Timu at best. Could look at ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or Wright both are 195ish and proficient line-out jumpers but they aren't ready for Test Rugby yet, maybe next year. Wells could be an option, I was hoping for Holloway to have stepped up this season, sadly. Maybe one of the Brumbies back row guys could be viable.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Closest guy we have in playing style to Taf, hopefully his similar penchant for low tackling doesn’t result in the same kind of injuries, would be my starting hooker.

Yes he's very Taaf-esque. Glad he's in camp, if not him then Rangi, just a pity about Uelese.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Tahs have run with a 2 and a bit lineout this season and have done pretty well on their own, and sometimes the opposition lineout. Obviously 3 great options would be great, but I think 2 and a bit can work. I mean they had Simmo and Holloway on Saturday and Holloway is not the tallest lock @ 195cm. Did ok. Of course, Ireland are another proposition, but if you’re organised and clever with it.....

And Holloway would at least provide one adequate lock to the team. Anyone thinking Rob Simmons is going ok should check out the statistics, both attacking and defensive, of all the locks under consideration for the Wallabies. They indicate he is the least effective of all locks taken over all aspects of the game in comparison with Coleman, Arnold, Rodda, Philip and even Sam Carter.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Australian rugby is too set-piece oriented as it is.

Look at the tahs against the Chiefs. All our set piece was fine. Our only decent play came off set moves. But around the park? second best in every facet.

People have time and again criticized our dependence on structure.

besides all the alternatives you offered are unavailable, except Higginbotham but he may as well be.

Too true Derpus. It is a rare thing these days to see any of the NZ sides take a set line out when the ball goes into touch. They invariably take a quick throw in and rely on their attacking skills when defenses aren't set. Makes sense? I think it does. By way of contrast, how many times do we see the Aus sides field a kick for touch on the full in touch and threaten to throw in, only to bail out and go for the set piece.

The game has changed, and while our teams still rely on the set piece, lineouts especially, to start an attack, the NZers and probably others have moved on to attack in unstructured play. I know which method has been the most successful in recent times, like the past two or three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.