• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Hang on, what happened to all the sledging?

Why isn't Carters wife allowed to attend All Black games?

She would eat all the grass..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Backline defence concerns me. Out of our seven starting backs we have four that may be fantastic attackers and also able to pull off a decent tackle but are not consistently good defenders. Those four being

Cooper
Beale
Mitchell
O'Connor

Leaving only

Gateau
Genia
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

As the only consistently reliable defenders in the backline. Should we want to hide the odd liability in defence, we can't as we have no real means of doing it with over half our backline considered unreliable in defence. Taking one of these players and replacing them with a more reliable defender would restore more balance and make it much more practical to implement a more solid defensive strategy. The easy yards our backs leak is a concern as it is going to lead to the potential for our forwards to burn out prematurely.

Hynes to come onto the wing and O'Connor to go onto the bench for Fainga'a. Hynes will provide safe hands to assist Beale in handling any threat of a high ball and also open the option of defending in the line for Cooper freeing him up to link up with Beale in counter attack.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
I see we're using the prostate cancer "blue balls" again (I couldn't think of a way to put that without sounding suss). Last time we played with the blue balls (again, nothing suss) we beat the Boks. This is a clear sign that we're gonna bash the sheepshaggers.

Wobs by 15.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I see we're using the prostate cancer "blue balls" again (I couldn't think of a way to put that without sounding suss). Last time we played with the blue balls (again, nothing suss) we beat the Boks. This is a clear sign that we're gonna bash the sheepshaggers.

Wobs by 15.

I thought we used them in Tokyo as well?

Edit: Nope, a hybrid Auz/NZ ball was used.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wallabies
Show this video content
There is a video associated with this story.
Wallabies winger Drew Mitchell ruled out of Saturday's Bledisloe Cup Test

By Ed Jackson
September 08, 2010

Wallabies winger Drew Mitchell has been ruled out of Saturday night's Bledisloe Cup Test against New Zealand after succumbing to a hamstring injury.
Mitchell suffered the injury in the build-up to his try in the second half of last weekend's 41-39 win over South Africa in Bloemfontein.

While the injury isn't believed to be serious, he was ruled out on Wednesday for the final Tri Nations match of the year.

The Wallabies are not going to call any more players into their squad, with Peter Hynes fit and available for selection after missing the two-week tour of South Africa.

Hynes will battle for Mitchell's No.11 jersey with New South Wales Waratahs’ flier Lachie Turner, Western Force star Nick Cummins and Brumbies rookie Pat McCabe.

Cameron Shepherd could also come into consideration as he recovers from a groin injury.

Mitchell's fellow winger, James O'Connor, says the dramatic win over the Springboks had the Wallabies primed to end their nine-Test losing streak to the All Blacks.

"We definitely took a lot of confidence out of the game," O'Connor said.

"We stuck to the game-plan like we wanted to and finishing off that game, getting the win, was big for our confidence."

The Wallabies team to play New Zealand will be named on Thursday.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
"he was ruled out on Wednesday for the final Tri Nations match of the year."

So there will be no Hong Kong Bled?

M

Muttonbird

"he was ruled out on Wednesday for the final Tri Nations match of the year."

So there will be no Hong Kong Bled?

The Hong Kong match is not and never was a Tri-Nations match. It could hardly even be called a Bledisloe Cup test as that trophy was secure some weeks ago in Christchuch. :yay

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
The Hong Kong match is not and never was a Tri-Nations match. It could hardly even be called a Bledisloe Cup test as that trophy was secure some weeks ago in Christchuch. :yay

Yeah my bad, don't know what i was thinking...

T

TOCC

muttonbird is correct, Hong Kong test match isnt a Tri-Nations game, how would that be fair to South Africa having Aus and NZ playing a extra game?????

ARU are expecting 66-67'000 for the Bledisloe in Sydney, not a bad turn out really, if they had lost last weekend im sure the figure would have been closer to 50'000

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Has anyone else seen Burgo with his new glasses? He looks like he's just popped out of the office for a quick break.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Team for the weekend:

1. Ma'afu (off after 30-35 mins)
2. Moore
3. Robinson
4. Sharpie
5. Chis
6. Rocky
7. Pocock
8. Mcalman

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Hynes/Turner
12. Gits
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. Fitz/Edmonds
17. Slipper (on at half time)
18. Mumm
19. Hodgeson
20. Brugess
21. Barnes
22. Hynes/Turner

I think we can win for sure. We just need that sting in defense, and confidence in attack and composure to bring it home at the end. 3 qualities we have more of after last weeks game.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I'm not sure about hynes. Can someone update his injury status?

He's a good safe player and I think he would definatly add something in both attack and defence against a team like the All Blacks. Turners also good, so I'll leave this one up to deans.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
ARU are expecting 66-67'000 for the Bledisloe in Sydney, not a bad turn out really, if they had lost last weekend im sure the figure would have been closer to 50'000

Thanks TOCC, hope that's the case and better. Moreover, delighted to see a post that recognises the massive financial importance (to the ARU/Oz rugby) of the Wallabies winning, winning well, and often, and NOW, and not every hoped-for moment of readily evaporating glory every 4 years.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
muttonbird is correct, Hong Kong test match isnt a Tri-Nations game, how would that be fair to South Africa having Aus and NZ playing a extra game?????

What is capacity out there now? Is it Still 80,000? 70-odd thousand is pretty good, given the current state of Wallaby play.
Shame we can't pack the joint like used to be the case. 110,000 there (well, 109,000 and change) in 1999 was unbelievable!

R

Red Rooster

Backline defence concerns me. Out of our seven starting backs we have four that may be fantastic attackers and also able to pull off a decent tackle but are not consistently good defenders. Those four being

Cooper
Beale
Mitchell
O'Connor

Leaving only

Gateau
Genia
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

As the only consistently reliable defenders in the backline. Should we want to hide the odd liability in defence, we can't as we have no real means of doing it with over half our backline considered unreliable in defence. Taking one of these players and replacing them with a more reliable defender would restore more balance and make it much more practical to implement a more solid defensive strategy. The easy yards our backs leak is a concern as it is going to lead to the potential for our forwards to burn out prematurely.

Hynes to come onto the wing and O'Connor to go onto the bench for Fainga'a. Hynes will provide safe hands to assist Beale in handling any threat of a high ball and also open the option of defending in the line for Cooper freeing him up to link up with Beale in counter attack.

I think you could add Giteau to the list - The reality is this is not going to change quickly so we are going to need to score a lot of points to stay in front

Status
Not open for further replies.