• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina @ CommBank Stadium 7.45pm Sat 15/07

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
But it turns out Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) is a better winger than Vunivalu… who would’ve thunk it?
Look Suli was a long shot. There is still obvious upside. I don’t mind the selection, give him a go and it’s sink or swim. He sunk Mark’s back in and we move on. We knew we could bank on Mark.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Look Suli was a long shot. There is still obvious upside. I don’t mind the selection, give him a go and it’s sink or swim. He sunk Mark’s back in and we move on. We knew we could bank on Mark.
Call me old fashioned but I.believe in picking the best 23 available for a test match particularly againts teams like SA. We re 0-2 under Eddie snd we havent played the ABs.ourbranking is in nosedive m in NZ at the moment and watched blecks/borks at the pub with some locals and we are considered as also rans in test rugby. . There's not s lot of games before the RWC. We need a stable and consistent team. I wonder if Rennie got punted because he refused to pick such a high paid/profile Wallaby and Eddie was willing. Just speculation but Jones said at the start of his return that he'd pick players on form and I don't think he's followed through

Last edited:

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Kellaway is a better wing than fullback in my opinion but given Wright's constant brain fades throughout his career it's probably worth giving Kellaway a go - Eddie is going to have to pick and stick with a fullback soon though given the RWC is so close.

Most people thought Bledisloe 1 last year in Melbourne was gonna be a blowout too and look how that turned out - with 2 weeks to prepare without travel and no expectation, ABs likely to experiment and potentially overconfident it could be a fascinating game.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Kellaway is a better wing than fullback in my opinion but given Wright's constant brain fades throughout his career it's probably worth giving Kellaway a go - Eddie is going to have to pick and stick with a fullback soon though given the RWC is so close.

Most people thought Bledisloe 1 last year in Melbourne was gonna be a blowout too and look how that turned out - with 2 weeks to prepare without travel and no expectation, ABs likely to experiment and potentially overconfident it could be a fascinating game.
NZ could play with 13 people and they would most likely put 20 points on us. I am trying really hard to be optimistic but i don't see any scenario where we come within 10 points of the all-blacks.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
NZ could play with 13 people and they would most likely put 20 points on us. I am trying really hard to be optimistic but i don't see any scenario where we come within 10 points of the all-blacks.
I see one scenario that could happen - Fozzie gets complacent and runs out the 2nds in Melbourne. They’d probably still flog us, but I also think we’d turn it up if they disrespected us like that.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I see one scenario that could happen - Fozzie gets complacent and runs out the 2nds in Melbourne. They’d probably still flog us, but I also think we’d turn it up if they disrespected us like that.
Even if this does somehow happen, they are going to flog us in the next match in NZ. I still think the New Zealand XV would have given the wallabies a run for their money.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Call me old fashioned but I.believe in picking the best 23 available for a test match particularly againts teams like SA. We re 0-2 under Eddie snd we havent played the ABs.ourbranking is in nosedive m in NZ at the moment and watched blecks/borks at the pub with some locals and we are considered as also rans in test rugby. . There's not s lot of games before the RWC. We need a stable and consistent team. I wonder if Rennie got punted because he refused to pick such a high paid/profile Wallaby and Eddie was willing. Just speculation but Jones said at the start of his return that he'd pick players on form and I don't think he's followed through
We need to develop depth in the squad as you need more than a squad of 23 to win a World Cup. We knew Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) was world class, but who else can play that role? Answer is not Suli

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
We need to develop depth in the squad as you need more than a squad of 23 to win a World Cup. We knew Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) was world class, but who else can play that role? Answer is not Suli
As seen by our Australia A side, we don't have a lot of depth

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Ireland is a perfect case study for how a country with a lower starting base of resources can create alignment bottom to top. They punch well above their weight with regards to player pool and relative resourcing when compared to England, SA, France etc.
Just the last 3 years. It is interesting how they improved their forwards cause half of their starting backs are Kiwis/Aussies.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Just the last 3 years. It is interesting how they improved their forwards cause half of their starting backs are Kiwis/Aussies.
Fair cop.

You could highlight similar with AU/NZ and the infusion of Tongan, Samoan and Fijian players over the years. (Though I do acknowledge that maybe not entirely the same with many growing up or spending significant time in AU or NZ).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But it turns out Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) is a better winger than Vunivalu… who would’ve thunk it?
It was interesting to see how vocal he had become at the Tahs, talking to his teammates, calling for the ball, looking for the ball trying to make things happen and he said in the interview after the game that Jones had tasked him with working on his involvements

But the flip of that is the trying too hard to make things happen so hopefully he will continue to find the right balance

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Where do people sit on this loss compared to last week? An improvement or worse? IMO clear improvement.
Last week the game plan was abysmal. Kick at every opportunity, usually on phases 1-3. Consequently, Wallaby possession in the game was a miserly 37%.

This week there was less kicking and it seems more inclination to run the ball, but the error rate was so high, the possession was again around 35% I believe. Better approach this week but just as woeful in execution.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just watched the game....I can't stand the whole

'Blue 23 started it but 8 golds retaliation is worse' bullshit.

There is a direct correlation between one's 'fucking around' and 'finding out' that rugby used to understand.

I thought Alan Ala'alatoa had a great game. A shit load of tackles and strong scrummaging. The try at around 70min was beautiful. The Wallabies playing what was in front of them, a heap of support for the ball carrier and taking the opportunity for the try.

Ref wasn't great but it went both ways. Wallabies were MILES better than they were the week before and having Kelleway come back as well as Tupou at some stage will be a boost. As good as I thought Ala'alatoa was, it's a HUGE effort for a prop to play 70+ mins in today's game.

This team isn't as bad as I thought.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just watched the game....I can't stand the whole

'Blue 23 started it but 8 golds retaliation is worse' bullshit.

There is a direct correlation between one's 'fucking around' and 'finding out' that rugby used to understand.
I be honest Bullrush, never really thought there was penalty for anyone in it, the Puma 23 pushed someone, he gave a little psuh bac and then gold 8 steps in and pushed Blues 23, harldly penalty offences for anyone I thought. But that's just me I admit.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It was interesting to see how vocal he had become at the Tahs, talking to his teammates, calling for the ball, looking for the ball trying to make things happen and he said in the interview after the game that Jones had tasked him with working on his involvements

But the flip of that is the trying too hard to make things happen so hopefully he will continue to find the right balance
I'll take the guy trying too hard over the guy who is either too scared or too cool. Every single time.