• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England in Melbourne, 18 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Beating the Wallabies is as simple as watching a replay of the Highlanders. Really is that simple. Utterly pathetic. Out and out Waratahs fan and i'd sack Foley and Phipps on that performance.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
That's the second match where Phipps has looked out on his feet with plenty to go on the clock. I'm not sure why that should be, but when your halfback is stuffed it's hard to play an up-tempo game.

I'd have to watch the match again to get a better idea (and I won't), but I think Fardy deserves a lot of credit for his clean-out work. He seemed to be doing more to get our ball back than any other 2 players.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
That's the second match where Phipps has looked out on his feet with plenty to go on the clock. I'm not sure why that should be, but when your halfback is stuffed it's hard to play an up-tempo game.

I'd have to watch the match again to get a better idea (and I won't), but I think Fardy deserves a lot of credit for his clean-out work. He seemed to be doing more to get our ball back than any other 2 players.

Totally agree - Fardy had some late handling errors that were poor but I'd have him as our best forward in the first 60 mins. He was imposing around the breakdown and reminded me of the impact Owen Finnegan used to provide. Phipps is poor. I don't have a replacement in mind but give Frisby, Powell or any other bugger a go and you won't lose any!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Suppose we will see his metres this week as opposed to Pocock's metres last week (with the same game time)

Then we can continue to discuss - one of us will remind remind the other to eat some humble pie

Are you up for it ????:)

Scrubber.. you have left me with a bittersweet feeling. Poor McMahon could not beat Poey's run metres. The weak weak little back-rower he is.

McMahon 13 Metres.
Pocock 19 Metres.

Care for some humble pie?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Totally agree - Fardy had some late handling errors that were poor but I'd have him as our best forward in the first 60 mins. He was imposing around the breakdown and reminded me of the impact Owen Finnegan used to provide. Phipps is poor. I don't have a replacement in mind but give Frisby, Powell or any other bugger a go and you won't lose any!

Amazed Cheika didn't bring Frisby on earlier.

T

TOCC

Fardy also did a lot of good things in that match.. was exceptional in the lineout.....

I'm pretty sure the whole team sucked and if we start getting rid of players that everyone has a beef with in this thread we'll be left with nobody.

I may have missed it, but what did Fardy do which was so exceptional in the line outs? Wallabies had one good rolling maul, the rest were ineffective, they had poor maul defence, I don't remember them stealing any but I do remember the Wallabies losing one.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Impressed with the ball carrying efforts of Slipper and Hooper but as strong as they both were they haven't been picked to be carting it up and bending the line. Our 6 and 8 need to shoulder that workload to allow Hooper to pilfer and Slipper to scrum.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Went a bit early on the forwards subs TBH. England just held, then when the tide broke, they brought on the forwards for the energy boost at just the right time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Impressed with the ball carrying efforts of Slipper and Hooper but as strong as they both were they haven't been picked to be carting it up and bending the line. Our 6 and 8 need to shoulder that workload to allow Hooper to pilfer and Slipper to scrum.

Yep I thought Hooper did a lot of the hard yards tonight, He was hitting it up when no-one else would, hitting rucks with urgency. In terms of general play, he was the leader on the field.

Probably should have been Captain - but then he makes stupid calls to kick to corner instead of taking the points in a wet game with 15mins to go and only 6 points down.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Kepu was invisible for much of the game other than the bone head penalty he gave away for a shove in the line out early on. The entire front row needs to lift substantially before we take on the ABs!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Went a bit early on the forwards subs TBH. England just held, then when the tide broke, they brought on the forwards for the energy boost at just the right time.

Our Forwards were so buggered though, Seems like we don't have the fitness advantage anymore either. Or maybe it's just a result of playing so many phases without any rewards.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Yep I thought Hooper did a lot of the hard yards tonight, He was hitting it up when no-one else would, hitting rucks with urgency. In terms of general play, he was the leader on the field.

Probably should have been Captain - but then he makes stupid calls to kick to corner instead of taking the points in a wet game with 15mins to go and only 6 points down.

Which is kind of ironic given his stupid call to take the points instead of the line out the week before. He'd be better served to make a quick decision on what he thinks he should do and then do the opposite!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Our Forwards were so buggered though, Seems like we don't have the fitness advantage anymore either. Or maybe it's just a result of playing so many phases without any rewards.
Probably right. Where you would have thought say, a Horwill & Carter/Simmons lock partnership would have been better, rather than having to take off Arnold you could have held off on bringing Mumm on for another 8-10 mins, Holmes could have been held back too. McMahon, Arnold and Slipper definitely needed to be subbed though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Probably right. Where you would have thought say, a Horwill & Carter/Simmons lock partnership would have been better, rather than having to take off Arnold you could have held off on bringing Mumm on for another 8-10 mins, Holmes could have been held back too. McMahon, Arnold and Slipper definitely needed to be subbed though.

Fardy needed to be subbed too. He was stuffed with 20mins to go.

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
And for everyone saying what a performance England made, just think how little they attacked, or really did. All they did was kick high balls and kick to the corners, defend well. VERY SIMPLE.

We can be beaten so easily or the opposition team needs to do is kick well.

This is it for me. Spot on. One of the things I have always hated about Union and I've been playing for 34 years. There is nothing in it for the catcher. He has up to 15 guys running at him ....some with no intention of catching the ball (eg. Bryan Habana). He either knocks it on under the pressure (and there is massive pressure) or takes it and gets smashed....or if you're like Folau, who is probably the best in the world at it, you may occasionally break through. The kicker gets all the glory...but why? OK, England do it well and Australia don't, so there is some skill involved no doubt, but to constantly kick and wait for the other team to make a mistake just seems so negative to me. Unfortunately it does win you games.

Note: Before anyone slings back in anger, I agree that kicking is an important part of the game ..... just don't agree with it being your number 1 tactic. All that hard work to break through a line of 15 big men as opposed to going over them and then charging at some poor defenseless guy - it just doesn't do it for me. Yes, Australia does it. All teams do it. But when it's your number one plan and you can win a game from that plan then I feel something is wrong with the world of rugby.

Yes, call it sour grapes if you want.

England won on their defense. Fair enough. Their defense was absolutely outstanding. But in the other half of the game - attack - they had nothing. Australia was definitely better....they just couldn't score. Even with all Australia's handling errors they were still the better attacking side and tried to play positive running rugby. So the better defensive side beat the better attacking side. So, I agree wholeheartedly Seb. England were far from brilliant (apart from their defense and that superior kicking game). Unfortunately Australia were worse. But I would be bored shitless if I were an England fan.

Unfortunately for Australia the rules of rugby don't seem to favor the team attacking with the ball in hand sometimes. Having said that, NZ would still manage to win and Australia simply couldn't. They just kept doing the same thing over and over. No creativity or imagination. The English reserve hooker (with his little kick-ahead) had more creativity than the entire Australian side.

One thing I learnt from the game - always get the first punch in ...because if you throw the second one you will get penalized. I just hate that rule. I know very few people who would stay suitably calm in the situation not to want a modicom of revenge or to stick up for his mates. But Moore was still a knob to do that as captain. Astounding though that two previous penalties in the same play get overturned for Moore's indiscretion. I was actually surprised Robshaw wasn't put on report for his neck-roll in the first game. I have seen worse get penalized in Super rugby.

I'll probably read this tomorrow and wonder what the heck I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.