• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Brisbane, Sat 17th July, 8pm

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gee Derpus - I have to disagree there. Go back and watch Bledisloe last year. White was targeted in defence and cost us points. His defence is poor.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Posted this on the Refereeing Decisions thread I believe there has to be a big question mark over Woki's try, I don't think you're allowed to dive over/ land on a pile of bodies like that.

Re: the Red card I think we're all gunna have to get used to a tackle like that having that result esp when they bring in the "tackler must bend at the waist" Law currently being trialled in NH age-grade & I think some second-tier Club comps.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Posted this on the Refereeing Decisions thread I believe there has to be a big question mark over Woki's try, I don't think you're allowed to dive over/ land on a pile of bodies like that.

Re: the Red card I think we're all gunna have to get used to a tackle like that having that result esp when they bring in the "tackler must bend at the waist" Law currently being trialled in NH age-grade & I think some second-tier Club comps.
Not sure I understand what you are getting at.
MK was so bent at the waist his upper body was almost horizontal?

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’m still buzzing after last night’s game. Can anyone remember a 14v15 win like that? Unheard of I reckon.

I love reading all the comments around the world, British, Irish, South African fans are saying it’s the best game they’ve seen in years. How good we had a record crowd watching it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Watched a replay of the game this morning. That was one of the most courageous victories I can remember from a Wallaby team, certainly in a very long time. They appear to be going in the right direction and for all the talk of how undermanned and inexperienced France were, our guys are a young outfit -- especially in the backs. Go back a couple of years and they would have folded with the red card, but on this occasion they stuck fat, believed in each other and adjusted.

The pack is coming along very nicely and there is some depth building too. I have to particularly call out Swinton's involvement from last night. I've been critical of his lack of discipline in the past, but he showed excellent controlled aggression in this game, exactly what you want from your blindside. If he keeps going like this he could develop into a very capable test player who makes blokes think twice about running down his channel. Swain also was excellent in all the areas you want a lock to be good in.

The backs are a work in progress but I'm particularly pleased with how Noah has continued to develop as the series went on. He looked a lot more assured last night and I think having Hunter next to him will be good too, he's got to be our 12 going forward. Like a few others have pointed out, Hodge again demonstrated his value as a utility and he gives 110% every time he's on the park. He's not got the natural gifts that other have, but he makes up for it in hard work and desire IMHO.

Finally, what can you say about Hooper. That was one of the best ever performances from him. He was everywhere, led the team well and his pace and skill had a huge impact on the team across the park. I've also been critical of his captaincy at times, but he did everything right last night.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All about consistency them referees.

E6fhj8uUcAsYL_d

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Noah looked a LOT more confident and I feel took charge last night.

I wonder what the change was? Maybe not having To'omua outside him freed him up to play his game? (I am completely speculating here)

Based on last night I'd love to see us stick with that 10/12/13 and build the combination.

I think Banks was good last night but definitely didn't blow the house down. I wouldn't mind seeing JOC (James O'Connor) play a test at 15 to enable us to keep Noah/Hunter/Len together but still have JOC (James O'Connor) in the team. It also give us a 2nd playmaker.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is Hooper speaking in the post match presser, sounds like a little "this is what you miss when you go play in soulless, empty stadiums in Japan like I did. Heed my warning"
We've just been in the change rooms for a little bit, and there's some seriously big smiles... it's a reminder of how good it is to play test rugby and play for your country and represent [it] and a lot of guys are feeling it in the change rooms right now

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) has the legs to be an outside back anymore.
He could also be a good option at 12 or 15.
I think for now he stays our 1st option at 10 or he moves to one of those positions and Noah starts at 10.
He often plays at the back in defence. We have him, Petaia, Vunivalu and White who hopefully all will be available for the Bled.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Noah looked a LOT more confident and I feel took charge last night.

I wonder what the change was? Maybe not having To'omua outside him freed him up to play his game? (I am completely speculating here)

Based on last night I'd love to see us stick with that 10/12/13 and build the combination.

I think Banks was good last night but definitely didn't blow the house down. I wouldn't mind seeing JOC (James O'Connor) play a test at 15 to enable us to keep Noah/Hunter/Len together but still have JOC (James O'Connor) in the team. It also give us a 2nd playmaker.

The Wallabies were down to 14 men. That had a direct impact on the role of the No 15. He had essentially to try to cover defence for two players. No way would any fullback in that situation blow the house down.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think Hodge takes Kellaway's spot hey. Just a bigger, stronger Kellaway. Even though Kellaway is faster and runs way better lines.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Some good new players and reaffirmation of super staff to watch came out of this series.
  • Noah finally came of age and improved with every test and now deserves his place if JOC (James O'Connor) injured
Not bad from a 21yo who shifted from his usual position at 13 to play at 10 for the first time in 2018 in the JiD Grand final. He was playing in Colts until mid year and then got called up. He was named in 2018 team of the year at 13.

Thanks to the NRC to help his evolution! ;)

I think give him time as he is certainly showing he can and will evolve and has the potential to be something special.

Reactions: TSR

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Not bad from a 21yo who shifted from his usual position at 13 to play at 10 for the first time in 2018 in the JiD Grand final. He was playing in Colts until mid year and then got called up. He was named in 2018 team of the year at 13.

I think give him time as he is certainly showing he can and will evolve and has the potential to be something special.

I thought he played 12 through school and for AUS under 20s?

tragic

John Solomon (38)

E6fhj8uUcAsYL_d

Confirmation bias - The press grabs the still that supports their belief.
From the front angle the contact with the elbow and forearm was on the chest and below the chin. The arm then slides up and pushes the head back

3A0DC6FD-ACD8-4388-8E47-2FABC95A0AA7.jpeg

Reactions: mst

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Doesn't that make sense? It's not like he's going to end up even lower post contact, unless he's really messed the tackle up.

They seem to want tacklers going high to low, not low to high.

E6fhj8uUcAsYL_d

It's one if my pet peeves that even though all the studies say the guy most likely to be on the bad end of head/neck contact is the tackler, ball carriers are given carte blanche to pretty much do whatever the fuck they want with zero consequences.