• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France - June 14 Etihad Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not sure of your vintage FP, but in the sixties, seventies and early eighties the Wallaby pack never had front foot ball. But we still were able to run complicated backline plays behind the gain line instead of kicking it away. Those plays were our forte as a rugby nation. Granted we didn't often win, we weren't good enough, but we were still able to play good running rugby. You can run slow ruck ball and be successful, but it requires a different mindset and different coaching skills.

Just because most coaches have read in the manual that if you don't have front foot ball you must kick, it doesn't mean that its THE truth. Its just the truth of the coaches that believe it. Randwick teams in the 60's and 70's used to say that if they could get 40% possession (of any type, good or bad) they were bound to win.

I hope Cyril Towers didn't watch McKenzie's offering from up in heaven. He would have had something to say about last Saturday.

Mate that was before tackling in rugby became a compulsory skill for backs

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have been thinking about crowd numbers and the affect this game will have going forward for Melbourne.

It may well affect the Rebels, but I can't see it making much difference the next time the Wallabies play in Melbourne.

How much does the game that was played last year figure in the thinking of the perspective attendee? If it matters a great deal, then why wasn't the crowd way bigger given the last game in Melbourne the Wallabies played was a bloody cracker against the Lions.

I reckon this game showed that there are a whole range of factors that matter more than how the Wallabies played in their last game in Melbourne. Stuff like opposition, timing, location, prices etc.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not to distract from this thread, but if we are going to lose the title this year I think that not having a scrum/lineout coach is probably going to be the reason.

We have to win a title first. Its not ours to lose. Those fucking Crusaders look ominously good...

Not sure of your vintage FP, but in the sixties, seventies and early eighties the Wallaby pack never had front foot ball. But we still were able to run complicated backline plays behind the gain line instead of kicking it away. Those plays were our forte as a rugby nation. Granted we didn't often win, we weren't good enough, but we were still able to play good running rugby. You can run slow ruck ball and be successful, but it requires a different mindset and different coaching skills.

And, dare I say it, a far less well-drilled and competent backline defence.

If there is one thing the loiguies have right, its that rugby players back then weren't often the best at tackling, even if they were in the right position to make a tackle (i.e. defending).

I'm not of that vintage, but looking at the archival footage there was a shitload more room to move for attacking plays because defenders weren't nearly as aggressive in their line speed.

Also, you could play rugby with a joie de vivre because it wasn't a professional game - money means the percentage play is more important now.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Re crowd numbers, I went to Titans v Storm match at Robina Stadium last night. Crowd 6,497. Lowest ever for a Titans home match! First ever footy match with my son and my grandson, sadly, I can't get them to show the same passion for the Reds, or the Wallabies!

Hope I can get them to this stadium for Wallabies v Pumas in September. Post script: Mr Jarse, LRJs don't guarantee success cross-codes!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We have to win a title first. Its not ours to lose. Those fucking Crusaders look ominously good.

And, dare I say it, a far less well-drilled and competent backline defence.

If there is one thing the loiguies have right, its that rugby players back then weren't often the best at tackling, even if they were in the right position to make a tackle (i.e. defending).

I'm not of that vintage, but looking at the archival footage there was a shitload more room to move for attacking plays because defenders weren't nearly as aggressive in their line speed.

Also, you could play rugby with a joie de vivre because it wasn't a professional game - money means the percentage play is more important now.

This is right. Up until the advent of professional rugby in the Super guises, it didn't seem to matter if a ball was turned over or dropped, knocked on etc. Because as sure as eggs, the opposition would also knock on, turnover or drop the pill within one or two phases. Protecting possession was not a priority.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm really looking forward to James Slipper and Sekope Kepu keeping up their good form.

I've always liked Ben Alexander as a prop. I think he is a great ball runner, but seems to lack confidence in big games, which then leads to ordinary performances. Kepu is the better choice.

James Slipper lifts when needed.

I also think it is a really good chance to pressure the All Blacks scrum this year. I love Tony Woodcock as a player- been around forever and is as tough as a nails, but if think he's getting old which should give Kepu confidence come scrum time - young bull v old bull. He should also have learnt a lot from English and Bath prop David Wilson.

I am getting too ahead of myself, but I'm really looking forward to a competitive Bledisloe and Four Nations, hopefully with Michael Hooper lifting up both pieces of silverware.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ben Alexander is still a very important man in Wallaby rugby and probably would have been starting in this series if fit.
Up north the first player chosen for any side is the TH prop and the second the reserve TH.
Hopefully both Kepu and Alexander are fit next year and we have another young bloke or two coming through.
The French Scrum was not the best running around in the last 6 nations so there are sterner tests ahead, although SA and NZ have not looked great in this department either this month.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Assuming you only take 5 props to the RWC, rather than 6, Kepu and Alexander, with Slipper switching sides for maybe 1 or 2 games is enough.

But if one of those 2 goes down, there's not a terrible lot of experienced depth.

With maybe about 20 tests till RWC, getting some caps into newer props needs to be done, well, soon.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I love Tony Woodcock as a player- been around forever and is as tough as a nails, but if think he's getting old which should give Kepu confidence come scrum time - young bull v old bull.

33 v 28... He's not THAT old.

However, Woodcock has always been an overrated scrummager. He bores in just like Bill Young but doesn't get sanctioned for it because All Blacks.

One night in NZ the Wallabies, with Al Baxter at THP, absolutely fucking destroyed Woodcock under his own posts, but got penalised for doing so.

The ref - Craig Joubert - after his video review, actually apologised to Baxter.

The reason the AB scrum has been so-so the last wee while is a lack of Brad Thorn powering the second row.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Pfitzy, here's what you're talking about. One of the most baffling interpretation around the rules there by Joubert. However, it takes plenty of conviction to apologize after the game, that's good to hear!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

Pfitzy, here's what you're talking about. One of the most baffling interpretation around the rules there by Joubert. However, it takes plenty of conviction to apologize after the game, that's good to hear!
when you see a refereeing display like that it really does make you wonder ?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Ben Alexander is still a very important man in Wallaby rugby and probably would have been starting in this series if fit.

perhaps. I have always said this year that Kepu distinguished himself last year as our best THP. I agree Alexander is important to our chances to win back the bledisloe. right now we are pretty much relying on Kepu 100%. we need at least 2 decent THPs

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Fuck now you've got my piss boiling!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.