• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas - Saturday 17 September, nib Stadium Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looks like Tom Robertson will debut off the bench this weekend and comments from Cheika suggest that Lopeti Timani could get a crack from the bench as well.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As I posted on the game thread, the key changes should be in the front row. Slipper for Sio and TPN for Moore. This would improve the team far more than arguing about the Pooper or whether Foley should play at 12. The front row was just disgracefully lazy last Saturday - its like going into the game one player short.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Would love to see Timani get a shot from the bench.

I'm not a supporter of the Pooper, especially in the long-term but I think it will work well against the Argies - happy for it to continue with Timani coming from the bench.

Can't see many changes to the starting line-up, would love to see Hodge at 12 and Foley relegated to the bench but I doubt that will happen.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Starting teams generally start the following week but maybe Chek will take an opportunity to surprise.

I would change Moore and Sio for TPN and Slipper. Moore should be "rested" and give Chibba a bench position. I would also "rest" Hooper altogether and shift Poey to 7 with McMahon to start at 8 (to be replaced by Timani at say 50 minutes).

Pocock to be an interim captain (whilst Moore not on field)

Genia and Cooper are no brainers but I still have difficulty with Mr Smooth at 12 (although his kicking was awesome). I like the idea of Kerevi at 12 and Folau at 13. DHP at the back.

These locks are there for the long haul - Douglas Coleman and Arnold

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^agree with most of that Scrubber

12 games in 15 weeks for the Wallabies at the moment, so we are definitely going to need to start managing a few workloads if they are going to make it through the year.

Think Cheiks will play everyone this week though as the home games are so important.

I'd give Foley the week off, Moore too, and one of Hooper and Pocock with the other getting a break for the away leg in South Africa. Izzy needs one of these game off as well

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Resting Moore??? Simply not going to happen after a test win. That seems as much a waste of time debating as the Pocock/Hooper matter.

A couple of question marks are whether another 6 will be tried. Cheika has started 3 different this year.

And will Kurindrani come back into the starting lineup? Kerevi at this stage might be better placed as an impact player. He was used quite a bit down the wing in attack so could cover multiple positions if required.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Resting Moore??? Simply not going to happen after a test win. That seems as much a waste of time debating as the Pocock/Hooper matter.

A couple of question marks are whether another 6 will be tried. Cheika has started 3 different this year.

And will Kurindrani come back into the starting lineup? Kerevi at this stage might be better placed as an impact player. He was used quite a bit down the wing in attack so could cover multiple positions if required.

He flips through 6's, and locks who are all much of the same and yet refuses to drop the one player who truly deserves it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^agree with most of that Scrubber

12 games in 15 weeks for the Wallabies at the moment, so we are definitely going to need to start managing a few workloads if they are going to make it through the year.

Think Cheiks will play everyone this week though as the home games are so important.

I'd give Foley the week off, Moore too, and one of Hooper and Pocock with the other getting a break for the away leg in South Africa. Izzy needs one of these game off as well

What's important this week is that we get a win.

Then we can go to Bokkieland with some confidence. Playing over there is a different beast.

Then off to the Soap Dodgers hallowed turf for another win against the Argies.

Back to Auckland and towel up those bloody Kiwis.

Bloody easy when you break it down.;)

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Didn't know where to put this but I just remembered our away game is at Twickers vs. the Argies.

How good! With the Aussie expat community there and our boys performance during the RWC thats more of a home game for us.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Changes for this game restricted to the bench or maybe a tweak in the starting side?
How about starting Timani at 8 and subbing him at the half, and if so who starts at 7? Hooper I would guess. Pocock looks a bit tired. Who wouldn't be with the attention he gets from the opposition in every test?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can not see Cheika changing the first winning team for ages unless required to by injury.

It doesn't make sense

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Changes for this game restricted to the bench or maybe a tweak in the starting side?
How about starting Timani at 8 and subbing him at the half, and if so who starts at 7? Hooper I would guess. Pocock looks a bit tired. Who wouldn't be with the attention he gets from the opposition in every test?

The media leaks so far this series have been spot on and by the sounds of it this is what's happening. Timani to get his debut and Pocock to be freshened up. Also some suggestions that Sio might not be 100% and interesting to note that Toby Smith was called up as well as Roberston. Agree with the posters above that we need to start rotating some players with the arduous schedule that we have ahead of us. I suspect this is what's happened to Fardy, he's not at his best so give him a break and utilise Mumm while he's in a bit of a purple patch. I'd bush Mitchell and bring Speight onto the bench, if we are in a good position at half time give Izzy a break and DHP a run at 15.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Coleman
6. Mumm
7. Hooper
8. McMahon
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Hodge
12. Foley
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. T Smith
17. TPN
18. Robertson
19. Arnold
20. Timani
21. Phipps
22. Kuridrani
23. Speight

EDIT: switched McMahon and Timani around after giving that one some thought.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd assume Toby Smith was only called into the squad because we needed a 5th prop. Tom Robertson was already in the squad (just got called back from the NRC early because it was clear he was going to be needed in the 23).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think you want two relatively inexperienced props on the bench against Argentina. Slipper should be starting in my mind but obviously Cheika and Ledesma do not agree. Smith is pretty solid on both sides as is AA. We are beginning to look pretty strong in front row stocks.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think you want two relatively inexperienced props on the bench against Argentina. Slipper should be starting in my mind but obviously Cheika and Ledesma do not agree. Smith is pretty solid on both sides as is AA. We are beginning to look pretty strong in front row stocks.

Just to be pedantic: We are looking pretty strong in scrummaging front row stocks but not so strong in workaholic front row stocks.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I've been contemplating the differences in work rates between the front row starters and finishers. There were obvious differences between the Boks starting pack and "finishing" pack.
The amount of energy expended against the starting pack attempting to jam the oppositions head out of their own arses whilst maintaining your shape may use up more available energy than doing it against a lesser pack...

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
By the end of the game, everything may have slowed down, changes structure etc to so that front rowers can make it to some of theses rucks etc

Status
Not open for further replies.