• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Samoa, Sat 7th September, 7.30pm, Bankwest (Parra) Stadium

B

Bobby Sands

I expect Pocock will play 40 minutes or not much more.

It was mentioned in one of the articles that part of the reason for starting him is they can control his minutes by subbing him off when desired.

Hope we take the same approach into the tests with him at 7.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It does seem a little unfair that Powell won't be playing this weekend, but it really has nothing to do with Cheika bias, or how Phipps performed in some amateur park footy final.........

It seems quite obvious (to me at least) that Phipps, along with TPN, are being given a farewell test at home.

Powell is still the standby halfback in the extended RWC squad, so this will be the last opportunity Phipps has to play in gold.

Having said that, I don't think we needed to play Genia, and it would've been nice to have Powell start or come off the bench to give him some actual match time.........

But it's still not half as crazy as starting LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 in every single test, including this one.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It does seem a little unfair that Powell won't be playing this weekend, but it really has nothing to do with Cheika bias, or how Phipps performed in some amateur park footy final...

It seems quite obvious (to me at least) that Phipps, along with TPN, are being given a farewell test at home.

Powell is still the standby halfback in the extended RWC squad, so this will be the last opportunity Phipps has to play in gold.

Having said that, I don't think we needed to play Genia, and it would've been nice to have Powell start or come off the bench to give him some actual match time...

But it's still not half as crazy as starting LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 in every single test, including this one.

Correct, with'home' having double meaning in this instance - In TPN's case, Parramatta is his home club, and in Phipps' case all the Kings boarders who aren't on leave are being ferried down to the game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The selection committee has played their cards, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will start when it matter to be replaced by Pocock. So they are investing in him. If LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) goes down, I expect Dempsey to start to be replaced by Pocock

I think if Dempsey was fit earlier there would have been a bit less game time for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), but not much

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's pretty simple in my view

Jones > LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) @ 6
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) > Jones @ Lock

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) probably has more impact off the bench

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We clearly want starters who hit and run harder than Jones (the same reason that Hanigan is captaining NSW Country). He is a solid but not spectacular player
Yeah I think you are right but the balance is wrong. Isi hits and runs hard consistently and is the 8 we've needed for ages.

With him available, we need someone who jumps well and gets through more work. We don't need our 6 to play like an 8.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah I think you are right but the balance is wrong. Isi hits and runs hard consistently and is the 8 we've needed for ages.

With him available, we need someone who jumps well and gets through more work. We don't need our 6 to play like an 8.

I don't think Jones gets through anymore work than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), so it comes down to those individuals efforts.

Honestly Jones efforts, when he has got his test opportunities this season, haven't demanded selection as a starter.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Jones gets through anymore work than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), so it comes down to those individuals efforts.

Honestly Jones efforts, when he has got his test opportunities this season, haven't demanded selection as a starter.

I agree with the latter, not so much the former.........

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
As folks have already said, I reckon this will be a bit of a mini shootout between Dempsey and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). If Jack puts in a good shift I reckon he’ll get first dibs come World Cup time.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As folks have already said, I reckon this will be a bit of a mini shootout between Dempsey and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). If Jack puts in a good shift I reckon he’ll get first dibs come World Cup time.

I doubt we would go into a game against Wales with Dempsey at 6. Fiji, yes, I can see that. So you are right, I reckon.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We clearly want starters who hit and run harder than Jones (the same reason that Hanigan is captaining NSW Country). He is a solid but not spectacular player
I tend to agree, Jones just has never showed the coaching staff enough to get the gig, before going to France and it seems after..