• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Braveheart.

You have to remember that until this year Sekope Kepu played most of his footy at LHP.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think a number of things can be deduced from the team:

1) Giteau is seen as Cooper's replacement.
2) JOC (James O'Connor) is not seen as a centre option.
3) Kepu is the understudy for Fat-Cat at LHP. If Fat-Cat goes down, then Slipper to THP, Kepy to THP.
4) McCabe is likely seen as the versatile Mr Fix-It in the backline. Covering 12-15.
5) Timani and Vickerman will fight it out for the reserve spot in the RWC.

Any other observations?

I think Kepu covers both sides. If he's on the bench, he slots in for whoever is injured. But personally, as our strongest scrummager, I think he'll start.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd reckon JOC (James O'Connor) might if Deans liked what he saw of Cooper at 15 on defence for the reds. If so, he could well use the tactic for the wallabies. This will leave JOC (James O'Connor) to join the back line in attack and defend at 10 which he is well capable of. This leaves a great ball player at 10 for when there is a quick turnover.

Who is going to be fullback cover for Beale during the World Cup? JOC (James O'Connor)? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Shepherd?

Thank god for Beale because otherwise there would be no dominate and in form replacement.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I think the team selected is quite good. Deans has offset the risks or new blood or experiments he is making in his selections with selecting key players who will be there or thereabouts come World Cup time. Therefore you can see what positions Deans wants to build some more depth at.

eg. The back 3 - He has selected Gerrard at fullback but has teamed him up with regular Wallaby wingers O'Connor + Ioane.

The centres - McCabe is a new face here at inside centre but is teamed up with regular Wallaby outside centre and Brumbies team mate AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

The halves - Phipps should have no problem dishing the ball out to Giteau who will be a standout leader in Sunday's backline.

Backrow - Incumbants Rocky and McCalman are back with Hodgson there to form a very solid backrow. I expect Samo to seriously challange McCalman for the no.8 jersey in the opening Tri-Nations game, however.

Lock - Who better for Timani to debut alongside with than Nathan Sharpe; the lineout may well have been a shambles if Vickerman and Timani were operating together from the start.

Having blooded these players, Deans should be able to make straight swaps for the leading contenders in these positions without disrupting combinations too much.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
I think a number of things can be deduced from the team:

1) Giteau is seen as Cooper's replacement.
2) JOC (James O'Connor) is not seen as a centre option.
3) Kepu is the understudy for Fat-Cat at LHP. If Fat-Cat goes down, then Slipper to THP, Kepy to THP.
4) McCabe is likely seen as the versatile Mr Fix-It in the backline. Covering 12-15.
5) Timani and Vickerman will fight it out for the reserve spot in the RWC.

Any other observations?

Think this is mostly true, but not entirely.
2) I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is categorically ruled out of 12, but he will probably not *start* a game this season at 12. I think he may well move in late in a game depending on subs/injuries. It certainly would have been idiotic starting him at 12 against a huge Samoan side. He would be tackling all day which would be exhausting and put him in the line of fire for injury. I think this is half the reason McCabe got the nod.
5) I think Timani is being 'warehoused'. We're seeing how he steps up in a test match and making sure he's worn the wallaby jumper and can't play for another side because it is believed he will become the real deal in a few years. Both JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper went through this in 2008 and it paid dividends. I doubt he will be a genuine option at this WC.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You have to remember that until this year Sekope Kepu played most of his footy at LHP.

I realise that and think that maybe Deans thinks of him as a LH who can play at TH.
If he was thinking Kepu was his TH he would start him there now and Alexander at LH.

I reckon he has Alexander or Slipper pegged as his starting TH.
If he was going to play Kepu at TH for the second half he wouldn't need Baxter and co for backup.
I guess we will find out next week.

H

hoges5

Obviously a "first team of the year" side, although I like some of the selections:
- Gerrardo back in the side is great - would have thought he'd see some time at 13
- Pity Gits is at 10...will be a pretty blunted attack I'd suggest
- Last chance saloon for Rocky - Dave Dennis VERY unlucky to not get a run, he was on fire late in the season
- Pat McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be interesting in the centres. Like McCabe as the "fix-it" guy on the bench when the season gets going.
- Can't really place Timani yet......not convinced he was the next best lock. Sam Wykes and Hugh Pyle (if he isn't injured) were pretty impressive and I would have selected them first.

This team will change dramatically through the 3N and when the REDS are back in the side. This is a good side for Samoa and gives great chance for players to play themselves in OR OUT of test side.
Let's face it, Genia, Cooper, Horwill, Simmons, Davies all have real shots at the Test team.......

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I agree that Vicks & Timani are duking it out for the 4th lock position. While Vicks brings experience, Timani brings raw talent. It will be very interesting to see which one prevails.

Deans loves doing this, getting two players to push each other for improvements, in competition for one spot.

It might be too short a time for Timani to shine but I have a feeling that he may become a revelation in the next few months...

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think the Gerrard decision is based on Deans wanting him for the RWC. I've felt since early in the Super Rugby season that he would get a call up. Yes, a 30 man squad is small but our best 22 does not have a booming boot in it and that may be critical if there is a poor weather game in NZ. This game is about getting Gerrard a test-match run early.

I agree. I think Gerrard performed very strongly all year in a backline that struggled. He controlled the games when at full back and the difference between a rebels backline with him and without him varied from very noticeable to a night and day difference.
His big boot, excellent tactical kickingand calming influence are world cup rugby qualities. I agree that Deans probably wants him there as a 'world cup rugby' selection.
he's not going to set the world on fire with pace and counter attack, but his tactical playing is excellent and he's very reliable at full back. he's a more conservative full back to kurtley and his defense is much better as well.
great option to keep him around.
I hope Timani isn't just getting blooded to keep him out of Tonga. But if that was the case you'd think they do the same thing with Vuna. He's got great prospects (terrible defense at the moment though).
I wonder if Vuna will opt to play for Tonga now? with the wallaby depth at wing i wouldnt think he has a chance in the near - medium term.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Think this is mostly true, but not entirely.
2) I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) is categorically ruled out of 12, but he will probably not *start* a game this season at 12. I

During he press conference Deans seemed to be very emphatic about wanting JOC (James O'Connor) to "settle back into the wing" soon.

I don't think he sees him at 12 even in the slightest.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
10 Giteau/12 McCabe/13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - did we see that during the season at the Brumbies? I can't recall McCabe at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was pretty much randomised when it came to Jerseys 13-22.

Giteau was penetrative enough this year but I didn't expect to see a Brumbies based backline rolling out for the wallabies anytime soon.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
- Pity Gits is at 10...will be a pretty blunted attack I'd suggest
- Last chance saloon for Rocky - Dave Dennis VERY unlucky to not get a run, he was on fire late in the season

Gits will be fine at 10. He was the 2nd best 10 in the Super 15 and deserves his spot in Cooper's absence.

And think it is far from last chance saloon for Rocky. In my eyes (and Deans' as well) he is still our top 6 and Captain. He would have to be woefully out of form to be dropped.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, if Giteau is going to be the back up to Cooper if he is injured, god help us, hopefully Cooper doesn't get injured. With Giteau at 10, the Wallabies will not win the Bledisloe, Tri Nations or the RWC. Actually with Giteau at 12, the Wallabies will not win the Bledisloe, Tri Nations or the RWC. The Brumbies back line this year and last year, was one of the worst in the competition, and Giteau has been calling the shots for both years. No good will come of having Giteau in the starting 15, bench spot at best.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well, if Giteau is going to be the back up to Cooper if he is injured, god help us, hopefully Cooper doesn't get injured. With Giteau at 10, the Wallabies will not win the Bledisloe, Tri Nations or the RWC. Actually with Giteau at 12, the Wallabies will not win the Bledisloe, Tri Nations or the RWC. The Brumbies back line this year and last year, was one of the worst in the competition, and Giteau has been calling the shots for both years. No good will come of having Giteau in the starting 15, bench spot at best.

Rubbish. Brumbies almost lead the comps in line-breaks this season, and Gits was in great form.

If Gits isn't our back up 10 then who would you want?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
10 Giteau/12 McCabe/13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - did we see that during the season at the Brumbies? I can't recall McCabe at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was pretty much randomised when it came to Jerseys 13-22.

Giteau was penetrative enough this year but I didn't expect to see a Brumbies based backline rolling out for the wallabies anytime soon.

McCabe did have a game or two at 12, but not with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) directly outside him.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Spot on vidiot, I'm not up for supporting a team that carries their out of form captain. Australia seems to pride itself on loyalty and it has cost us in the past, I for one hope they don't carry him through to the world cup if he's not fit. Would rather win without the captain than lose with him.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

McCabe played 12 against the Reds when they won and went quite well from memory.

B

Braveheart.

Spot on vidiot, I'm not up for supporting a team that carries their out of form captain. Australia seems to pride itself on loyalty and it has cost us in the past, I for one hope they don't carry him through to the world cup if he's not fit. Would rather win without the captain than lose with him.

How do you know he is out of form?

Give the guy a break. Give the guy a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.