• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
We need whoever is picked in the 23 to show up this weekend. Boks will be out for blood after last year and their last game. It will get messy if we go out anything like that last game v Argies.
Messy = 50+ point loss

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Springboks actually don't have the attacking ability of the Argies or the game style. May have more power in the pack but I'd be very surprised if they scored more than 3 tries.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The Springboks actually don't have the attacking ability of the Argies or the game style. May have more power in the pack but I'd be very surprised if they scored more than 3 tries.
On the flip side there hasnt been a team in Rugby that has struggled to score points vs Australia recently

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
List out the senior players from that game who had a role to be leader and did not execute:

Tupou - was much worse but still in the squad
White - should have been the leader who stepped it up. Under Rennie's system he is the primary playmaker, who O'Connor was relying on for quick, clean ball. Pisses off every ref every week. Still in the squad, likely to be the starter.
Arnold has 20+ test caps, Swain is in double figures and runs the lineout. Senior players both still in the squad, neither of whom covered themselves in glory.
Petaia and Wright both 10+ test caps so not debs any more. Neither played with the maturity required Still in the squad.

So, which of those players played better than O'Connor? Which of them had leadership roles that they did not execute? In Rennie's mind O'Connor was the main reason we got thrashed by not executing and not showing leadership. So he publicly rubbished him. How did the others escape the same treatment?

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/08/...nd-why-wallabies-defence-coach-had-to-go-too/

Tupou - hardly a leader in the group.
White - he played poorly, but previous game was great. He has at least shown patches of play where his game management is superb. I feel this is something missed often by casual viewers. It is why he is continually selected ahead of Gordon and Tate.
Arnold - I agree with you here.
Petaia - again, hardly a leader in the group.

Read that analysis of JOC (James O'Connor), it highlights his inability or reluctance to get his hands on the ball. All the other plays you listed made errors, missed tackles etc. but JOC (James O'Connor) failed to even try and execute the game plan. It seems the others at least tried but failed with poor execution.

And he wasn't rubbished publicly. He answered honestly and respectfully.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good analysis there... it's certainly something you don't quite focus on watching the main play with a few beers...

JOC (James O'Connor) really does appear to go AWOL throughout the match, leaving the likes of Foketi and Wright to manage things.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah it was a great piece of analysis. At first viewing I also thought JOC (James O'Connor) was harshly done by, but after reviewing I think it makes perfect sense why he was dropped.

I am also liking the look of Foketi at 12. Seems to be shaping up nicely.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Not sure when the team will be named, but what does everyone think the team will look like? Maybe something like this:
1. Slipper (c)
2. Fainga'a
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Swain
6. Holloway
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Korobeite
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway
16. Porecki
16. Bell/Sio
18. Tupou
19. Philip
20. Samu
21. Gordon
22. Hodge
23. Wright

Reactions: dru
D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Not sure when the team will be named, but what does everyone think the team will look like? Maybe something like this:
1. Slipper (c)
2. Fainga'a
3. AAA
4. Arnold
5. Swain
6. Holloway
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Korobeite
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway
16. Porecki
16. Bell/Sio
18. Tupou
19. Philip
20. Samu
21. Gordon
22. Hodge
23. Wright
Need Tate at 9 / 22 - toss up between White or Gordon.
Would have Philip in 4 and Frost on the bench (Arnold back to France)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I have a feeling White's and Gordons kicking games will be preferred for the Boks over Tate. Personally, I would like to see Tate on the bench too.
I'm expecting Arnold to be given another shot. Lots invested in him coming over and he is supposedly the best lock in Europe and in the line-out.
So my guess is Arnold will be in the 23. I wouldnt mind seeing him on the bench to replace Swain or vice versa.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thanks for that Scrans.

Tate to 21. Phillip to start, someone has to do the calling. I'm not writing off Arnold yet but he could start from the bench. Agree on 12 Paisami though doesn't seem to have as much support as he did previously.

I'd also be tempted to a 6/2, the tight 5 are going to be going 12 rounds in the heavy weight division. Can't imagine our locks stacking up here.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also no need having both Wright and Hodge on the bench. If Foley is up to it I’d have him on the pine to have a look at him

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My guess as to why it's an afternoon game and not an evening game is because the Australia vs New Zealand women's game is on beforehand. If it was a regular curtain raiser it would conflict with All Blacks vs Pumas.

Obviously All Blacks vs Pumas could play at 5pm NZ time and then straight into two games in Australia.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh I have no issues with arvo games in general... but this is poor planning.

It's the final round of QPR, final home crowd for a number of clubs and a few of the games still have implications for the final ladder. It'll be detrimental to the women's viewership numbers as well, plenty of club goers will already be down at the fields by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.