• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Wales - 1 Dec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting that despite all the invective posts about the Wobs performance that 10 of the 16 players named in the Players Rankings v Wales have positive ledgers. Can't understand how Drew Mitchell has a negative ledger?

Shmoo's lost his speed I reckon. He's probably carrying a tad too much weight as well but that is to be expected after such a long injury.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
So, so glad the boys got the win for Sharpie. I was tearing my hair out thinking there was no way they'd cross the chalk, or even get a penalty to draw the game.

Fantastic to see Beale score after 13(?!) Tests without some meat too.

I'm guessing we've definitely got Dingo for the Lions and beyond now, but this seemed to be even worse tactically, positionally, and bench-wise than any other Test this year.

Why were Taps and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) swapped? Why was Taps taken off? Why was Douglas taken off for Dennis? Why was Robinson taken off so early? Why wasn't Moore starting?

I know we see these week-in, week-out but I was holding onto the hope Deans would get hooked after the EOYT.

The reality is we're stuck with him and short of having brilliant individual players back on board we're basically no chance of beating the Lions.

PS I didn't mean for this to sound so downbeat - I am genuinely happy we beat Wales.
Dennis had a great impact off the bench.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
One bloke who I reckon played his best game for the Wallabies is Mike Harris. Well, not a GAME as such but for 20 minutes he looked like a test standard centre, which is the first time you could really call him a 'test standard' anything. Took the ball to the line, passed well, set up the final try. Just did the basics, but did them well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Wales only 2 long breaks were the result of this ploy: both AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Tapuai are, at least, reasonable defenders so why mess with it?
On the first one - from the Wales line - there was utter confusion and they both went for the same man.
I would love to hear the "thinking" behind this and know whether the players asked for it or Deans imposed/suggested it.
i hesitate to say this: i thought Phipps wasn't as bad today.

My guess is that he wanted AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to match up vs North and help Beale if needed. Taps does a bit too much ball watching at times though.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My guess is that he wanted AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to match up vs North and help Beale if needed. Taps does a bit too much ball watching at times though.
The first stuff up on the Wales goal line confirms your view - even if you allow for the disorganisation engendered by swapping them there was nothing at all challenging about what wales did and he had time to adjust.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree, but as mentioned I don't think he should be coming on as a reserve lock.
He didnt he came on for higgers abd when hooper came on kane went off abd dennis went to lock

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Good point Gaffa.

But Dennis was still the reserve lock (unless Deans had H'bum in mind to try to fill the role).

The lightweight pack got the shunting it deserved.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
One bloke who I reckon played his best game for the Wallabies is Mike Harris. Well, not a GAME as such but for 20 minutes he looked like a test standard centre, which is the first time you could really call him a 'test standard' anything. Took the ball to the line, passed well, set up the final try. Just did the basics, but did them well.

But he played at 15 and Barnes went to 12. Funny thing was this is when people started saying Barnes lookd good. He was at first receiver on everything but first phase ball too.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He didnt he came on for higgers abd when hooper came on kane went off abd dennis went to lock

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
I know, my point was he shouldn't have been there as the reserve lock in the first place.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
In defence of Deans and our much maligned backline I would like to point out a few issues.

Firstly, the defence patterns were excellent and have been for some time. It is not just ticker, it is also technique and physicality. This is a Deans' legacy.

Secondly, we don't have Genia, QC (Quade Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), McCabe or Horne. These are the players whom Deans used for his Plan A. Also, Mitchell and Ioane are playing well below their best and Beale is not a Number 10.

Thirdly, the backline defence of the NH teams is allowed to rush up with such complete disregard for the offside rules, that it is impossible to play expansive rugby.

So our backline is not getting Genia's bullet like pass or his ability to shred defences who charge across in cover. QC (Quade Cooper)'s ability to put people through gaps (think Ioane and Mitchell running 10/12 channel) is missing as is McCabes angled runs and the magic out of nothing from JOC (James O'Connor). At full strength and in postion, our backline could destroy the very best defences.

The cattle we do have are great players but not in the same class. This is never clearer than when they are confronted with a rushing offside defence. They don't have the guile, speed or power to get through the line.

So, as I see it, Deans Plan B is to use Palu or Timani as mid field rams and also the long and short kick. What else can he do with the cattle he has. It looks crap, and goes against the grain but is effective when you have players who can't break the line against well organised defences. Give them the ball and defend like crazy men.

Given that we won 3 out of 4 you have to say Plan B worked. Well done boys, well done Robbie.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
TH, certainly the injury list hasn't helped. I think JOC (James O'Connor) is the bloke we've missed the most this year. His ability to beat tackles and break the line is nearly unparalleled in the Wallaby squad. He will provide some spark next season. Genia's running from the ruck base and passing are also important. Phipps hasn't provided anywhere near the threat there. We probably can't rely on Cooper to come back into the fold and I wouldn't be blooding Lilo against the Lions, so it's pretty much either KB (Kurtley Beale) or Barnes at 10 next year.

dasduke

Frank Nicholson (4)
Aussie Mike
I'm sure other people think differently, but I would have preferred to see Harris start at 12. His goal kicking would have meant we never behind on the scoreboard.

I may have rose tinted glasses from when he played that first game for the Reds, but he provides options and creativity in attack.

Defensive lapses by Taps resulted in Wales getting massive metres. One example - when the Welsh ran it from the 5m, he didn't slid out to the next man, which led to an overlap - Phipps had the inside runner covered. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a real asset but Harris could provide the extra creativity.

Barnes
I'm also hoping Barnes' time at fullback gives him improved vision for the game - in the way it did for Larkham.

He seems to be second-guessing his decision making for kicking. With so much criticism recently he needed to think about it, but it needs to become instinctive.

His passing was super-sharp - flat and in front of the man. Puts the attack on the front-foot.

Will be interesting when we have JOC (James O'Connor) and possible QC (Quade Cooper).

Status
Not open for further replies.