• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlexH

Stability the key as Deans deliberates over Wallabies squad to slay Dragons

OF rugby's many proposed truisms, there is one piece of wisdom that never changes: good coaching always begins at the selection table.

The arrival of Wales, the best side Europe has produced in 10 years, is still two months away but it is the analytical work being done now that will have a significant influence in the outcome of that three-Test series. Names are being jotted down in Robbie Deans's notebook, some in ink and some in pencil. The scorned will even play a part by their absence.

This is not an easy Wallabies team to pick. Local outfits are, on the whole, struggling to get out of the blocks. Recent champions upon whose shoulders heavy expectations lie are out of form and, in one notable case in Melbourne, visibly out of shape. Injuries have drained a pool whose depth was ankle-high in certain areas.
But quality, and character, should never be too hard to distinguish. After six rounds, the same hands are being put up each week and allow us to reasonably speculate on a possible 22. It is a promising ensemble, enough to remind the Welsh about the size of the task.
Younger contenders are, as ever, shouting noisily for attention but where there are close calls then incumbency and age must play a part. There have been enough opportunities handed out to youths in the Deans era and it is time for some stability.

Besides, talent such as Michael Hooper, Tom Kingston and Dom Shipperley will be around for a while. Let them wait until they become irresistible; it should be a labour to get into this side.
As with any side, the captaincy must be addressed. The All Blacks, France, England and Wales opt for an openside breakaway as their leader. The Lions are likely to follow. And do not be surprised to see the Springboks also go with a back-rower, Schalk Burger, as their man.
The logic is compelling. The breakdown, and the interpretations surrounding it, has become the defining area of Test rugby. Where better to judge the mood of the referee than at the coalface, where David Pocock does his work?

This is no slur on James Horwill's leadership, simply a reflection of the modern trend. A change is at least worth a discussion.

The front row is the one area where boldness must be encouraged. In short, a series of tight-heads have failed the Wallabies at the scrum for at least four years and have become totemic of Australian forward weakness. Yet in Canberra, a stocky type with low body position - in the mould of the French props - has been making steady progress. Dan Palmer also benefits immensely from his partnership with Stephen Moore. Those who know about the mysteries of the scrum also detect a sound technique.
Ben Mowen has been another to benefit from the Brumbies' revival. He doesn't have the explosiveness of Scott Higginbotham but nor does he have the errors. Excellent aerially, at 27 he is coming into his prime and there is nothing wrong with a player who feels he has something to prove.

In the contested midfield spots Berrick Barnes is clinging onto the No.12 jersey. Although still an enigma at Super level, his innate conservatism is probably better suited to the Test arena. Nipping at his heels is Christian Lealiifano, the form inside back in Australia, and the more robust options of Ben Tapuai and Pat McCabe.

Criticised at the World Cup, the Wallabies would be a much more formidable opposition if they had 14 more scapegoats like McCabe. He runs as the crow flies in a team full of peacocks. A lack of express pace is a worry, but with Drew Mitchell injured the wing options are skinny when James O'Connor is retained at five-eighth.

A lack of depth at No.9 calls for some lateral thinking on the bench, and that is not a bad thing. Ben Lucas is versatile, distributes well and is a better defender than Nick Phipps.
The desire to have some physicality off the bench should bring Sitaleki Timani into the calculations. His game has flaws, but aggression is not one of them, and it is hard to improve the squad if you do not confront its previous failings.

Our Wallabies 22:
1. Benn Robinson (Waratahs)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
3. Dan Palmer (Brumbies)
4. Nathan Sharpe (Force)
5. James Horwill (Reds)
6. Ben Mowen (Brumbies)
7. David Pocock (c) (Force)
8. Wycliff Palu (Waratahs)
9. Will Genia (Reds)
10. James O’Connor (Rebels)
11. Digby Ioane (Reds)
12. Berrick Barnes (Waratahs)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Waratahs)
14. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
15. Kurtley Beale (Rebels)

Replacements: Ben Alexander, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sitaleki Timani, Matt Hodgson, Ben Lucas, Christian Lealifaano, Ben Tapuai

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/stability-the-key-as-deans-deliberates-over-wallabies-squad-to-slay-dragons-20120406-1wgrg.html#ixzz1rInkbFhN
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...lay-dragons-20120406-1wgrg.html#ixzz1rInkbFhN

I am aware there is another thread dedicated to Wallabies selections. However, it fails to set any selection parameters and what we end up with is people naming everything from their Fox Sports Fantasy Rugby wishlists right through to their Fairy Tale XV in which players, who are well past their prime, magically overcome ailments such age, injury and poor conditioning and return to career form.

The purpose of this thread is to come up with what you believe to be the best possible twenty-two man squad to take on Wales in the first test match of the mid-year series. Your proposed selections should take into consideration current form, past performances and everything in between. You may name currently injured or out of form players if it is reasonably foreseeable that they will return to form before the first test match.

Let the selection process, begin!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
OK, I'll have a go, though I may get props and locks on the wrong side of the scrum:

1. Robinson 2. Moore 3. Slipper 4. Horwill 5. Pyle 6. Higginbottom 7. Pocock 8. Palu 9. Genia 10. Barnes 11. Ioane 12. O'Çonnor 13. McCabe/Horne 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15. Beale.

Bench - Polota-Nau, Kepu, Simmons, Hodgson, White, Tapuai, Cummins.

Toughest position to pick is 13. 'Pyle, White and Cummins are my 'bolters.

A

AlexH

Well, I forgot to post my twenty-two and it will be controversial to say the least:

Starting XV: 1. Benn Robinson 2. Stephen Moore 3. Dan Palmer 4. James Horwill 5. Nathan Sharpe 6. Matt Hodgson 7. David Pocock 8. Scott Higginbotham 9. Will Genia 10. James O'Connor 11. Digby Ioane 12. Christian Lealifano 13. Andrew Smith 14. Joe Tomane 15. Kurtley Beale

Reserves: 16. Tatafu Polota- Nau 17. Ben Alexander 18. Sitaleki Timani 19. Michael Hooper 20. Brendan McKibbin 21. Berrick Barnes 22. Ben Tapuai

Goal Kicker: Matt Dunning (100% drop goal record)... obviously

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
OK, I'll have a go, though I may get props and locks on the wrong side of the scrum:

1. Robinson 2. Moore 3. Slipper 4. Horwill 5. Pyle 6. Higginbottom 7. Pocock 8. Palu 9. Genia 10. Barnes 11. Ioane 12. O'Çonnor 13. McCabe/Horne 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15. Beale.

Bench - Polota-Nau, Kepu, Simmons, Hodgson, White, Tapuai, Cummins.

Toughest position to pick is 13. 'Pyle, White and Cummins are my 'bolters.

Yep same forward pack except I'd have this backline.

9.Genia 10.JOC (James O'Connor) 11.Ioane 12.Barnes 13.McCabe 14.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15.Beale. So pretty similar but I prefer JOC (James O'Connor) @ 10 & Barnes @ 12.

Bench: Charles, Kepu, Simmons, Dennis, Gill, Lucas or Stanard, Tapuai.

Would like to see TPN have a rest & use the test window to freshen up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Dennis
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. O'Çonnor
13. McCabe
14. Ioane
15. Beale.

16 Charles
17 Kepu
18 Timani
19 Higginbottom
20 White
21 Tapuai
22 Cummins

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The arrival of Wales, the best side Europe has produced in 10 years,

Interesting, the England teams of 2002-3 would surely be above Wales in terms of what they achieved.
Anyway, a minor gripe.
Otherwise, I'm with Disco.

A

AlexH

Interesting, the England teams of 2002-3 would surely be above Wales in terms of what they achieved.
Anyway, a minor gripe.
Otherwise, I'm with Disco.

Well, the incumbent Welsh squad do not have a Rugby World Cup to name but I am almost certain they would have but for the red card to Sam Warburton in the Semi-Finals.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, the incumbent Welsh squad do not have a Rugby World Cup to name but I am almost certain they would have but for the red card to Sam Warburton in the Semi-Finals.
Alas ifs, buts and maybes don't make history.

A

AlexH

I do not understand why everyone still rates Palu so highly. He is well past career form and with the amount of injuries he picks up, the chances of him returning to his twilight years are pretty slim. I think Higginbotham is the first choice number eight to take on the Welsh this year, the Lions next year and the world in 2015. He has the speed, size and skill set of a good number eight and his workload in tight is picking up.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cat - TPN - Keps
Sharpie - Kev
Mowen - Bam (c) - Cliffy
Genia - Barnes
JOC (James O'Connor) - Horne (if he finds his feet)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Ioane - KB (Kurtley Beale)

If not horne, then put McCabe/Cummins in (take your pick)

something

Jim Clark (26)
I dont rate Horne. I dont particularly like the style McCabe plays, but he is definitely my first pick for centres

9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)/Barnes
11. Ioane
12. JOC (James O'Connor)/Barnes (either or with these 2 - both have their perks in both positions, good to have an interchangeable 10 & 12)
13. McCabe
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale

I'd like to see a winger on the bench, maybe Tomane? and then Taps as well on the bench

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I do not understand why everyone still rates Palu so highly. He is well past career form and with the amount of injuries he picks up, the chances of him returning to his twilight years are pretty slim. I think Higginbotham is the first choice number eight to take on the Welsh this year, the Lions next year and the world in 2015. He has the speed, size and skill set of a good number eight and his workload in tight is picking up.
I don't understand the fascination with picking players out of position either. Higginbotham has probably been the best 6 thus far in Oz. Pick him at 6!! Pick a number 8 at 8. If Higginbotham is to play wide in attack, which he does effectively, have an 8 that is a big bopper who can smash it up closer.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Have you even watched Palu play this year? He's been the Tahs best forward every time he is on the park.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
There are some strange selections here, I agree with Cyclo and qwerty aswell.

1- Robinson
2- Moore
3- Slipper
4- Sharpe
5- Horwill
6- Higginbotham
7- Pocock
8- Palu
9- Genia
10- O'Connor
11- Ioane
12- Barnes
13- Tapuai/McCabe
14- Ashley-Cooper
15- Beale

Bench: Hanson, Kepu, Pyle, Dennis/Hodgson, Lucas/Kingi, McCabe/Tapuai, Cummins

Something like that. Not sure why Palmer has been mentioned in that article, has done nothing of note this year, not to mention you have Slipper, Kepu, Alexander and Holmes a mile ahead as tightheads.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
1- Robinson
2- Moore
3- Slipper
4- Pyle
5- Horwill
6- Higginbotham
7- Pocock
8- Palu
9- Genia
10- Barnes
11- Ioane
12- O'Connor
13- McCabe/Taps/Horne
14- Ashley-Cooper
15- Beale

Bench: Hanson, Kepu, Sharpe, Mowen, Lucas/Kingi/White, McCabe/Tapuai/Horne, Shipperly.

I would like to see Cummins play some games at 13 for the force. Might also pick Kepu over Slipper.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tiger, that team will do me. Probably Tapuai for mine. And TPN - too good as impact. And not sure about Lucas (injured) or Kingi.
Palmer probably gets mentioned as he is really good at scrum time, probably better than any of the others. But Slipper and Kepu are ahead. Not Alexander, for mine.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
1. Fatcat
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Sharpe
5. Horwil
6. Mowen
7. BamBam
8. Palu
9. White
10. Rabbit
11. Diggers
12. Lealifano
13. Taps/McCabe
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale
16. Alexander
17. TPN
18. Pyle
19. Hooper/Gill
20. Genia
21. Barnes
22. Taps/McCabe

A

AlexH

Have you even watched Palu play this year? He's been the Tahs best forward every time he is on the park.

Yeah, I have and I think he is no nearly as menacing as he used to be and his work rate leaves much to be desired as well. I would rather have Higginbotham perform the number eight duties, who has performed well there every time he has been given a chance, and have a Hodgson or Dennis at six. Fardy and Cottrell need to be left in the oven a little longer before they earn a bolter start. We have plenty of depth at six but as far, as far as I am concerned, only have two viable options at eight: Higginbotham and Mowen in distant second.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
Yeah, I have and I think he is no nearly as menacing as he used to be and his work rate leaves much to be desired as well. I would rather have Higginbotham perform the number eight duties, who has performed well there every time he has been given a chance, and have a Hodgson or Dennis at six. Fardy and Cottrell need to be left in the oven a little longer before they earn a bolter start. We have plenty of depth at six but as far,
as far as I am concerned, only have two viable options at eight: Higginbotham and Mowen in distant second.

As much as I enjoy watching higgers, I don't see him as a test player while he does some brilliant stuff he also does some stupid stuff and I don't think the wallabies need that,they need work horses in the forward pack against a strong welsh team.

Status
Not open for further replies.