• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs BaaBaas

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Shaping up as the last we'll see the Matfield Bakkies combo in rugby.

Rugby365
Matfield in glittering BaaBaas cast

Victor Matfield, Danny Cipriani and Jamie Roberts are among the first batch of star-studded names to accept invitations to play for the Barbarians against newly-crowned Tri-Nations' champions Australia at Twickenham on Saturday, November 26.

Matfield led the Barbarians to victory over New Zealand in 2009 and his second appearance in the club's colours has the added spice of the inclusion of his Blue Bulls and Springbok teammate Bakkies Botha alongside him at lock.

They have created a legendary partnership since they first played together for South Africa in 2002 and are set to pack down for a last time at representative level as Barbarians.

But the veteran Bok lock has a far more pressing assignment.

"My sights are firmly set on a successful World Cup campaign with South Africa in New Zealand, but after that there is no better way to sign off in the northern hemisphere than another game for the Barbarians against international opposition at Twickenham," Matfield said.

Roberts will be joined in a particularly strong Barbarians' back division by fellow Welshman Stephen Jones who, like Cipriani, will be making his Barbarians' debut, plus All Black Sonny Bill Williams and former Wallabies' captain Stirling Mortlock.

Already confirmed to join Matfield and Botha among the forwards are Wales' No.8 Ryan Jones and New Zealand hooker Keven Mealamu.

Barbarians' chairman John Spencer said: "Our annual year-end matches against South Africa, New Zealand and, this November, Australia are a major attraction in the calendar and that is particularly the case this year with no other pre-Christmas international at Twickenham."

He added: "Player recruitment is going very well and we are confident that the final 22 will feature many more big names that will be making headlines in New Zealand in the next few weeks."

John O'Neill, managing director and CEO of the Australian Rugby Union, said: "We look forward to re-igniting our rivalry with the Barbarians at Twickenham after the Rugby World Cup. We will of course, as we always do when visiting Europe, be travelling with our best available talent."

(Cant find a thread about this match?)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
This match will have extra spice once we are the proud holders of Bill for a record third time.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd love to see Alesana and Manu Tuilagi face up at #11 and #14. Both young, exciting players with a degree of cult status, plus a shot at redemption after the Samoa game would be great. The fact that they're brothers adds to the exhibition nature of the event IMO.

1. Tendai Mtawarira (Which player is better suited to an all-star exhibition match than The Beast himself?)
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Al Baxter (Retiring, ex-Australian, final farewell)
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Sean O'Brien (Potential RWC Player of the Tournament, massive 6N and rising star of the game)
7. Sam Warburton/Thierry Dusautior
8. Ryan Jones
9. Sarel Pretorius (Uncapped player)
10. Jamie Roberts
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Manu Tuilagi
15. Danny Cipriani

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd love to see Alesana and Manu Tuilagi face up at #11 and #14. Both young, exciting players with a degree of cult status, plus a shot at redemption after the Samoa game would be great. The fact that they're brothers adds to the exhibition nature of the event IMO.

1. Tendai Mtawarira (Which player is better suited to an all-star exhibition match than The Beast himself?)
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Al Baxter (Retiring, ex-Australian, final farewell)
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Sean O'Brien (Potential RWC Player of the Tournament, massive 6N and rising star of the game)
7. Sam Warburton/Thierry Dusautior
8. Ryan Jones
9. Sarel Pretorius (Uncapped player)
10. Jamie Roberts
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Manu Tuilagi
15. Danny Cipriani

R

runtmuncher

Swarley,

How would you feel about seeing Alesana and Manu Tuilagi face up at #11 and #14?

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
10. Jamie Roberts

Really? Thats the northern hemisphere equivalent of putting Sam Harris in at 10.

Would quite like to see Cips at fly half for the Barbarians though!

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Really? Thats the northern hemisphere equivalent of putting Sam Harris in at 10.

Would quite like to see Cips at fly half for the Barbarians though!

I know, but considering SBW/Mortlock, Roberts and Cips are all confirmed I was just trying to fit them all in. I guess Mortlock could line up on the wing, but I doubt that will happen.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
the old warhorse doesn't quite have the gas to go head to head with drew mitchell i'd say!
maybe jamie or stirling will be coming off the bench?
i'd love to see juan martin hernandez at full back....but i'm presuming he'll still be out?

Status
Not open for further replies.