• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I think you're thinking of the Reds scrum which pretty much went to ground on every single feed.

The scrum seemed to only stay up on the Brumbies' feed.

absolute nonsense

Am I the only one who saw Slipper binding on Alexander's arm all night - hence the scrum folding in?

Not defending him as a great scrummager, it's just what I saw on Sat

I rewatched ever single scrum for this specific point, and there was nothing wrong with Slipper's binding, he wasnt binding on Alexanders arm at all... he was binding on Alexanders armpit/lat region, which by definition is the props side and legal by IRB laws.

However, what i did see in the second half, was Dan Palmer binding on Daleys arm quite blatantly, i dare anyone to rewatch the video and prove me differently on this point.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In the second half did you find a Reds' scrum that didn't go down on its own feed?

Aside from the one that got wheeled...

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
9. Horwill (starting) – is always a bit slow finding his groove after coming back from injury but will be back to his best by then.
10. Vickerman (Bench) – a big call at this stage of the year, but he is pure class and id be shocked if he is not at the WC. Is perfectly suited to come off the bench.
16. Mumm (backup/bench) – His versatility should win him a spot.

28. Horne (backup outside)
30. Davies (backup wing)
It is early, but looking at your squad I see the quoted positions as most contentious/tenuous.

It's unknown whether or not Horwill will be fit at all, let alone in form. If he is, he's a sure thing for the squad. The query for Vickerman runs along almost identical lines. The two who could benefit from this are Mumm and Douglas, with Wykes a massive dark horse. They'd probably be in that order.

At the moment, I don't think Mummy quite justifies his spot as back row/lock on form. For a versatile back rower, I'd be looking to Mowen as a 6/8.

Horney, same as the second row lads, massive question marks although noone doubts his ability. If he's not hot to trot, they might consider a crash 12. If Cooper is injured, Barnes is 10 and it can be good with his game to have a hard-running 12 outside him. At the moment, the form Aussie 12 is, go figure, Tom Carter.

I disagree with Davies being allowed anywhere near the squad. He's been seriously ordinary this year. I'd say he's behind Rooney, and Rooney's not exactly top of my totem pole at the moment. In essence, I reckon I'd use this spot to take a third hooker. Toss a coin between Charles and Fainga'a but Deans has exhibited a liking for the finger, so give it to him.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes, there is a big issue re Alexander and playing tighthead/loosehead. I really feel the Brumbies need to do the 'best thing' for Australia and move Alexander across. If this was NZ I'm pretty sure an outfit over there would accomodate the requests of Graham Henry and co for the benefit of NZ.

I think that it actually reflects that he's not even the best THP at the Ponies, sitting in a tie for second with Ma'afu. He was the post penalised prop in Australia last year, and basically unless he pulls it together risks missing out on the cup altogether - surely we have enough try scorers out wide?

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
In the second half did you find a Reds' scrum that didn't go down on its own feed?

Aside from the one that got wheeled...

Umm generally there's no incentive for a team to go down on their own feed. Hence, it's (normally) the opposition bringing it down... I think you just shot your argument in the foot Slim...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not completely true... some front rowers will try to milk a penalty on their own feed... and at that point in the game (approx last 30 minutes) the Reds' scrum was going backwards when it wasn't going down... and Lawrence seemed to feel that they were at fault...

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Not completely true... some front rowers will try to milk a penalty on their own feed... and at that point in the game (approx last 30 minutes) the Reds' scrum was going backwards when it wasn't going down... and Lawrence seemed to feel that they were at fault...

It's true, some will, sometimes but like all rules of thumb, it's pretty accurate. The fact that a referee who's never packed a scrum in his life and has a tendency to make rash, imprecise decisions thought one team were 'at fault' really doesn't say much either.

Now, I should admit that I watched the game on an eeepc streaming whilst doing other things and I can't review play by play so I am not guaranteeing that the Reds were on the side of angels. All I can say is what I have, that in general terms (unless a referee has already demonstrated a bias) it does not benefit a team to go down on their own feed.

What I will say without a doubt is that there were an awful lot of hands on the ground, it was almost a communal pushup a few times, and Benny A was one of the most frequent. He cannot and must not play either side of the scrum for the Wobs until he can at least look like he knows what he's doing in there.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I disagree with Davies being allowed anywhere near the squad. He's been seriously ordinary this year. I'd say he's behind Rooney, and Rooney's not exactly top of my totem pole at the moment .

You obviously didn't watch Davies in round 1, where he was pretty much best on ground 2nd to O'Connor in my opinion, even being sin binned. I haven't watched the other 2 Reds games this season so I can't comment.

L

Lachlan

He's played very well. Not wallaby material in my opinion - he can't influence a game in attack unless he has miles of space to work in. Nonetheless he defends with plenty of intent and has performed solidly this season.

L

leftside

a serious bolter for the 3rd hooking position could be James Hanson...in the 20 odd minutes he got on the weekend he looked very impressive, dominant tackles, speedy to the breakdown, and his set piece was solid. give it a couple of weeks and he really should be starting for the reds (i never have been impressed with Saia, does a lot of stupid things in my opinion)

and Ben Mowen should get in on current form, i've been very impressed

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You obviously didn't watch Davies in round 1, where he was pretty much best on ground 2nd to O'Connor in my opinion, even being sin binned. I haven't watched the other 2 Reds games this season so I can't comment.
your sample size might be a bit on the small side then. watched 1 game of 3?? Doesn't that mean automatic revocation of Queeeeeenslander status?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I rewatched ever single scrum for this specific point, and there was nothing wrong with Slipper's binding, he wasnt binding on Alexanders arm at all... he was binding on Alexanders armpit/lat region, which by definition is the props side and legal by IRB laws.

Well, despite being neither a Reds nor Brumbies supporter, my mind must have totally fabricated a close up of Slipper tugging down on Alexanders shoulder/sleeve

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Lets have as look at the history of Alexander - last year he was penalised very heavily for collapsing, hand down type offences at LHP. In the international season when he played he was again penalised for the same thing. In three games this year he has again been penalised heavily (with respect to the number of scrum penalties conceded by Oz teams/props Ben will be close to the top again).

I said last year and have a few times this he has a flaw in his set technique that must be fixed to stop the rot.

It is quite likely now that Alexander will be the LH equivalent of Baxter, so that even if he fixes the issue any problem on his side will be an automatic penalty against him.

T

TOCC

Well, despite being neither a Reds nor Brumbies supporter, my mind must have totally fabricated a close up of Slipper tugging down on Alexanders shoulder/sleeve

this isnt about been bias, but if you think Slipper was binding on Alexanders arm then what did you make of Palmers effort on Daley????

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Can't say I noticed first time round. Guess I was more intrigued in the first half by what was happening with the two Wallaby props at the centre of the most of the scrum penalties in that period.

By memory most of those penalties seemed to be Alexander folding in and/or arm on the ground, which made me wonder how much of it was actually Slipper unable to hold the pressure from Squeaky, hence rolling in / tugging on bind. At least one close up I saw seemed to confirm it. Could be wrong though.

Italian Stallion

Stan Wickham (3)
if the Wallabies dont want to win the World Cup...PICK MATT GITEAU...he is a spent force....the Brumbies need to grow some balls and get rid of both Giteau and also Elsom...waste of space the pair of them....

Status
Not open for further replies.