• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Bok Brizzy Post-Match post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). PLEASE leave him at 13.

Funny, reminded me of this post:
Lindommer said:
Forgive me for sounding like a broken record but I'll scratch away: for me AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s best performance the last couple of years was at 12 against the BaaBaas at Wembley last year. I though he was outstanding. Unfortunately for him that effort increased his versatility and reinforced coaches' view of him as a utility back. And inside centre is one position we seem to have covered with Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor) and Giteau ahead of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I'd say his best position is 13, followed by 15 and 12, in that order.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
  • Lindommer said:
    • The running game. My wife remarked at about the 60 minute mark the Boks looked buggered, a moment before a commentator (Kearns?) said the same thing. Surely the Lions gave us a big clue how to play the Boks: run at the bastards, and run at them again and again. In other words, classic Australian rugby.

Good assessments. I was surprised that with 5-6 minutes to go, and the game won, we were so eager to kick ball away. You'd think our guys would be lining up for another meat pie.

The key to beating the Boks is to get a good lead on the scoreboard. Easier said than done. They are magnificent front runners and will just methodically grind teams into the dust. But if they are behind and have to play catch up rugby, they struggle to break out of their structure.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I was at the game, and along with every Wallaby supporter there, was elated at full time. Forget talk about turning points, world cup building blah blah blah, this was a moment to savour for a bunch of guys who have been much maligned and were coming off a depressing loss a week earlier.

Any win over the world champions has to be applauded. :yay

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The concern with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is that he is the best FB in this current squad. No Shepherd or Gerrard, means he's next best. And long (long) term Rabbit is probably best at 12.

While Mortlock still has half a leg to stand on then I can't see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being put at 13 at his (Mortlock's) expense.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think it would be wrong to take Mortlock on the EYOT. He is very unlikely to be there in 2011, and it is time to start developing the team work and squad for that year now. While they probably will give him the chance of a 'fairwell' tour this year (if he is inclined that way), and we couldn't begrudge him it, it probably isn't the best thing to do for the future of the team.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Since, according to PB's rules I am allowed to complain about the ref after a win, I will take this opportunity to do so. I was a the ground, 2 rows from the sideline at the tryline that the Wallabies scored both of their tries. The events preceding the Genia no try (was it really a no try - seemed he got the ball down in the replays - was this the TMO call of refs call?) is where I have an issue, and I'd like to know what the commentators and people watching on tv thought (I was screaming at the ref for about 2 minutes).

So we make a break from about 25m out (was it Chisholm?) yet pulled down around 10m out, Bok player comes straight in from the side (Du Plessis?) to cynically comes in the slow the ball down, ref awards penalty. Genia takes quick tap and gets tackled by two Bok players about 2 m out from the line but continues to go forward and may or may not have got the ball down.

Now firstly - surely the first Bok foul was a professional one and automatic yellow card, and then the Boks did not retreat the 10m from the penalty, tackling Genia within to stop the try - another two automatic yellow cards. Even stranger seemed to be that either Genia got the try or knocked it on, it didn't seem like held up was one of the options.

How we didn't get another penalty and one or two Bok players yellow cards is beyond me. This could have been a turning point of the game, and Barnes seemed to handle it badly.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Actually forgot about the referee, the one low point of the night. Agree with your observations Scotty.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Bok Defenders definately off side at least penalty OZ. But Barnes the Ref was even handed at least.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Farkit.

Gongrats Wobblies. Well deserved. Boks lacked the skills to finish two or three first half tries and then struggled to keep up. They looked tired in the second half.

Someone tell the Kiwis Barnes can ref. If he learned to play advantage he would be a really good ref.

PS the pass from du Preez to Brussow was not forward.

Please beat the Kiwis in NZ. I fear they will beat us next week. I will be watching in an Irish pub from Budapest of all places. God bless the Irish. They're everywhere when you need a pub with sport.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I wonder if the Wallabies actually know how to play a forward-oriented game when they get a clear advantage in that area? I doubt Genia, Giteau and BBarnes have ever played behind a dominant pack in their lives, for instance. It's not pretty to play that way but it does seem to reap rewards come WC time. Just a thought.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Re Scotty's complaint, I've just gone back and had a good look at the whole incident in slo-slo mo. My observations:

• The penalty was awarded about 11m from SAf's goal-line. It looked to be a slightly larger distance than that from the 5m line to the goal-line. Very important.
  • Genia tapped the ball with his left foot and the ball clearly left his hands. Very important.
  • Genia was tackled by two Boks before either of them had retired 10m or had been put onside by someone who was.
  • There was plenty of doubt about a proper grounding of the ball, enough for a reasonable TMO to advise not to award a try.
  • Ayoub told Barnes the ball was pulled from Genia's grasp so no try, and when asked by Barnes what should be done next he said "well, there was a penalty". Big clue Wayne.
  • Smit had successfully distracted the referee by complaining about Genia's method of taking the kick; he opined the ball didn't leave Will's hands. The kick was taken right in front of the referee, to his satisfaction; Barnes rightfully waved Smit's complaint away. But, crucially, Smit had distracted the referee's attention from a more serious matter: the offside Springbok tacklers. Smart captaincy.
  • du Preez and the other Bok tackler can't disappear as Genia runs towards the goal-line but, equally, they can't touch him until they're onside. There's no doubt Genia "would probably have scored a try" but for their actions.
  • Ayoub's subtle advice was missed by Barnes as he should've reconsidered what happened immediately after the penalty was taken. If he had his time over again Barnes may have awarded a penalty try. To issue a card (or cards) might be thought to be too severe.

You're pretty sharp for a Queenslander, Scotty. Must remember that.

O

OZGOD

I just saw the long highlights on rugbyzone.com (25mins worth) and I thought we did alright. They didn't show too much scrummaging so I can't comment, but I thought Genia was pretty bloody good for a debut. Our backline was sort of on and off but on more so than off. I'm happy with our 10-12 axis and if Genia can show consistency I think we'll be in good shape in that decisionmaking axis. Some silly mistakes made by the outside backs but I was impressed with O'Connor and Ashley Cooper - geez he's improved from when I saw him 2 years ago.

Thought Rocky was industrious, not sure about Pocock yet. How did our lineouts go? They hardly showed any.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Dare i ask whomever went to the game, how the crowd reacted to Barnes' name being called out at the start? Did he run out with light blue headgear and then change it?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm kind of mystified why we can't play with that kind of intensity more often.

On a more positive note, Wayne Smith in the Australian points out that the average age of last night's Wallabies was just 23.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
naza said:
  • Lindommer said:
    • The running game. My wife remarked at about the 60 minute mark the Boks looked buggered, a moment before a commentator (Kearns?) said the same thing. Surely the Lions gave us a big clue how to play the Boks: run at the bastards, and run at them again and again. In other words, classic Australian rugby.

Good assessments. I was surprised that with 5-6 minutes to go, and the game won, we were so eager to kick ball away. You'd think our guys would be lining up for another meat pie.

The key to beating the Boks is to get a good lead on the scoreboard. Easier said than done. They are magnificent front runners and will just methodically grind teams into the dust. But if they are behind and have to play catch up rugby, they struggle to break out of their structure.

• I agree with Naza here (I feel dirty saying it and will scrub myself thoroughly later) and was dirty on Genia when he kicked the ball out as soon as the siren sounded with the Wallabies in a goof attacking position and no chance of the Springboks getting any ladder points out of the game. Surely we, the supporters, deserved to see the Wallabies have a go after the siren for all the crap they have dished up lately.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
cheezel said:
Dare i ask whomever went to the game, how the crowd reacted to Barnes' name being called out at the start? Did he run out with light blue headgear and then change it?
He was playing for his country, so no boo's, but certainly didn't get as loud a cheer as the other Qldr's in the team.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Very magnanimous Blue.

However

Blue said:
PS the pass from du Preez to Brussow was not forward.

a) yes it was

b) Brussow was covered, at least by Genia. He only got over the line because Genia et al had seen the ref call it fwd

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Scotty said:
I think it would be wrong to take Mortlock on the EYOT. He is very unlikely to be there in 2011, and it is time to start developing the team work and squad for that year now. While they probably will give him the chance of a 'fairwell' tour this year (if he is inclined that way), and we couldn't begrudge him it, it probably isn't the best thing to do for the future of the team.
Dropping Mortlock from a big farewell tour might be Dingos way of stamping his authority and showing faith in the younger members of the team.

I could not pick Mortlock as a better player than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at the moment, his leg drive is as good as Mortlock has been in the last couple of years and he is a hell of a lot faster.

Mortlock is one of my favorites, but a win means more than a favorite player being on the field.

S

Spook

ACT Crusader said:
The concern with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is that he is the best FB in this current squad. No Shepherd or Gerrard, means he's next best. And long (long) term Rabbit is probably best at 12.

While Mortlock still has half a leg to stand on then I can't see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being put at 13 at his (Mortlock's) expense.

Ioane can play 13 although I think he's a better winger. Where is Sheperd?

Don't mention Gerrard, FatProp will attack you :fishing

I have to say the we still can't maul to save ourselves.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Thanks for the in depth analysis of the issue, Lindommer. Good to hear I didn't scream myself purple for nothing. He really made a mess with non-decisions around that event.

Apart from that Barnes had a very good game though. Think he is one of the better refs going around, and kept his composure well.

Status
Not open for further replies.