• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Captain

Who should be Wallaby captain through to the next world cup?

• Benn Robinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Horwill

• Steven Moore

• George Smith

• Rocky Elsom

• Phil Waugh

• Matt Gitteau

• Stirling Mortlock

• Berrick Barnes

• Drew Mitchell

• Peter Hynes

• Lachie Turner

• A. N.Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Having watched (rather excruciatingly) the Wallabies through the 3N matches it seems that they are lacking leadership? Who do you think should lead the Wallabies through to the RWC2011 and beyond.... Feel free to elaborate on your selection.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I voted for Benn Robbo as to me it came down to a choice of 3 - he, Smith and Gitts. IMHO thew captain should meet the following criteria: 1. be an automatic selection; 2. be an 80 minute player in most matches; 3. be world class; 4. be durable (not injury prone); 5. be in a position to lead (close to the action not stuck out wide).

I chose Robbo as he fits this criteria and would lead from the front. Smith is a reluctant captain and most likely will be gone post RWC. Gitts has enough responsibility running the backs and kicking goals. Also, I would like to step away from Brumby captains as they haven't been very successful to date with the Wallabies (though they have won 2 more S14 titles than any other state).

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Good thread AussieD

:elsom: all the way.
Then :robinson:.
Then daylight.
Only thing going against him is lack of leadership experience, however that's not doing much for Smith at the moment.

Barnes would be good if he could play two games in a row

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
IMHO thew captain should meet the following criteria: 1. be an automatic selection; 2. be an 80 minute player in most matches; 3. be world class; 4. be durable (not injury prone); 5. be in a position to lead (close to the action not stuck out wide).

Isn't there something about being inspirational, being a good communicator and 'being smart'.

I know Robbo is the best loose-head going, and Rocky a great 6, I've no idea about the above for either of them. If anything Rocky sounds a bit 'out there'.

Seems to me Bam Pocock is getting more air time than his performances have warranted so far. Is he the heir apparent?

R

rugbywhisperer

I was going to vote for that Kevin Horwill chap but I thought I had better wait to see who he is and what sort of player he turns out to be.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I always prefer my captains to be a forward so I'd go with James Horwill or George Smith.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have voted for Horwill, but if Elsom or Robinson show leadership skills and have some captaincy experience in the next 6 months, I'd be happy to revise.

There is no way that Giteau should be captain. He has shown in this series that he hasn't been able to lead from the front.

T

TOCC

i voted for Rocky, i would like to vote for Horwill but he has been lacking in form this year

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
Gotta be :elsom:.

Automatic selection, leads by example, doesn't do off-days, commands a lot of respect from teammates and opposition alike. Dodgy knee aside, is rarely injured (and if he is he hardens up and plays through it), and according to Fat Cat on ruggamatrix has strong opinions on how things should be done and lets people know (at training and on the paddock).

Barnes too injury-prone, Horwill goes missing too often, Fat Cat...mmm vice captain. Dunno what the debate is about.

BTW who voted for Lachie Turner. Comedian.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Did anyone hear that Horwill chap ask "Barnsey" what to do when the lights went out at Auckland this year? I'm not sure he's even the captain of Qld.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Sounds like Rocky has a lot to say and is a leader, but the question is - does he say the right things and will he lead in the right direction?

I don't suppose he will be captain of the Brumbies so it may be difficult to find out.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Seem to recall that Rocky was offered the captaincy at the Waratahs a few years back (maybe when Waugh was out with a long term injury) and he didnt want it.

Would suggest that the captain actually needs to want and desire the position (as well as earn it). I voted for Barnes - with Horwill as my backup, Given that both of them will probably be buggered come the RWC, I'll jump on the Fat Cat bandwaggon as well.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
I always thought Rocky was a bit of a softly spoken introverted bloke, I could be wrong though.

But with Deans softly softly approach and Jim not much of an entertainer either, we need a leader who will bring the fire and brimstone, can rev them up and get the boys excited. I think Mortlock is still the best option.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
mortlock when fit has to be captain, other than that i would hand it to baxter, sure he isnt in the team anymore, but he gets the most one on one time with most of world rugbys refs out of any current wallaby, he could even captain from the bench, all we need is a couple of packets of blood capsules and a quick trainer!!!!

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Gagger said:
Aussie D said:
IMHO thew captain should meet the following criteria: 1. be an automatic selection; 2. be an 80 minute player in most matches; 3. be world class; 4. be durable (not injury prone); 5. be in a position to lead (close to the action not stuck out wide).

Isn't there something about being inspirational, being a good communicator and 'being smart'.

I know Robbo is the best loose-head going, and Rocky a great 6, I've no idea about the above for either of them. If anything Rocky sounds a bit 'out there'.

Seems to me Bam Pocock is getting more air time than his performances have warranted so far. Is he the heir apparent?

I don't know about you but a bloke who is world class in his position inspires me. A few choice swear words as well as a passion for the jersey is all a captain needs to inspire his team mates in my experience. I don't know about being smart but a knowledge of the rules and some basic rugby intelligence is all that is needed.

Benn with Rocky / Barnes as vc. Tight 5 forwards should be captains.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
I don't know about you but a bloke who is world class in his position inspires me. A few choice swear words as well as a passion for the jersey is all a captain needs to inspire his team mates in my experience. I don't know about being smart but a knowledge of the rules and some basic rugby intelligence is all that is needed.

Benn with Rocky / Barnes as vc. Tight 5 forwards should be captains.

You're right that they need the above. But a good/great captain needs more.
Including managing the ref (e.g. McCaw and Smit) and managing the game (changing team tactics mid half, penalty decisions etc). The more successful ones seem to have the gift of the gab as well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
IMO Smit is the perfect model as a captain. Smart, inspiring, speaks well to the refs and has respect of his players.

Status
Not open for further replies.