• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Forwards – Stats for TWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
In the build-up to the RWC this year’s TRC had only 3 games. (TWC???)

Michael Cheika has switched and matched more than many pundits expected but not as much as others wanted. It’s pleasing to see that the focus has been on winning Test matches.

No Forward has played for the full 240 minutes and only 10 players have accumulated playing time equivalent to about 1.5 games. To that extent these stats should be viewed with an air of caution to NOT draw too many definitive conclusions. It is difficult to read too much into the performances below the ‘blue line”.

There is always a lot of discussion about transferring Super Rugby “form” into Test Rugby.
The Stats (and those from last year’s EOY Tests) show that generally Wallaby Forwards perform at or close to the same level as they did in SXV. In my view, to achieve the same/similar stats at Test level is in itself commendable. However, there are a few notable exceptions where players consistently outperform their SXV contributions. SXV 2015 averages in BLUE.

A word of caution. Each player is generally playing in his ‘normal’ position, BUT is playing under a different coach, different game plans and with a group of very different player. His Test match role may be very different from SXV role. As we have seen, it may vary from Test to Test.

Most Stats are from the Vodacom App site which generally mirrors stats from ESPN Scrum, Super Rugby or Rugby Heaven. They may differ from FoxSports stats (particularly in carry m). As per usual, the Ruck Involvement stats I collect myself.

Any surprises?

TWC Rucks.png

For Ruck Data remember:

1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
  2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
  3. 3.Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.
TWC Stats.png

NOTE: All numbers (except m/carry)rounded to whole number.

SOME OBSERVATIONS

Generally the Forwards are showing similar stats to Super Rugby.
However, there are some noticeable exceptions:

Tackles
  1. Moore, Holmes and Skelton are missing more tackles at Test level.
  2. Slipper and Kepu are missing more tackles BUT they are making more tackles.
  3. Pocock and Simmons are making more tackles and missing fewer.
  4. Hooper is missing >50% less tackles.
Ruck Involvement
  1. Fardy’s ruck involvement is 37% higher than SXV level. He has earlier arrivals. He is more involved in Defensive Rucks
  2. Both Slipper and Holmes are involved in ~20% more rucks.
  3. Slipper arrives earlier. Holmes a bit slower.
  4. Pocock is 10% below his SXV level with earlier arrival. Strong focus on Defensive Rucks.
  5. Simmons is 20% fewer rucks than SXV with earlier arrival and more impact
  6. Skelton is slower to rucks.
  7. Sio and Kepu are much slower to rucks.
Turn Overs Won
  1. There are generally fewer Turn Overs Won at Test level.
  2. Fardy, Hooper and Pocock show that they can be pests at the breakdown at Test level.
  3. Holmes can be an opportunist when fresh off the bench.
Ball Carries
  1. Hooper, Simmons, Sio and Kepu make fewer m/carry.
  2. Pocock doubled his m/carry.
  3. Holmes (60%) and Skelton (17%) increased their m/carry.
  4. Fardy is used more as a ball carrier at Test level.He has safe hands.
Def Beaten, Clean Breaks, Passes , Offloads and Handling Errors
  1. Forwards who show these skills in SXV exercise them at test level.
  2. Hooper less so.
  3. Pocock more so.
  4. Front Rowers show more tendency to pass the ball.
  5. Moore and Simmons more Handling Errors.
  6. Hooper and Pocock fewer Handling Errors.
Tries Scored
Only Hooper and Kepu have scored tries in the TWC.

Line Outs Won
  1. Fardy and Simmons are winning more Line Outs at this level.
  2. Skelton has 1 LOW (35% of SXV rate)

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks very much for the analysis. Unfortunately I see an iPad to view them and blue on black is hard to see. The names of the players are lost completely against the black background. I am not sure whether the colour choice is an artefact of the system or whether Force Fan is choosing them. Anyway I would like to be able to read the tables.
Thanks again for the effort and the commentary. It is very informative.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

T

TOCC

Interesting that Pocock is making more carries and more average meters gained then Hooper.. You could argue it's the position he is playing but Pocock still has 25% more ruck involvements then Hooper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks very much for the analysis. Unfortunately I see an iPad to view them and blue on black is hard to see. The names of the players are lost completely against the black background. I am not sure whether the colour choice is an artefact of the system or whether Force Fan is choosing them. Anyway I would like to be able to read the tables.

I don't know what to do about this Pusser.
The tables look Black and Blue on white on my Laptop and Blackberry.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks anyway for the effort. I will look for a tame desktop. Terrific effort on your part.
Cheers

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hey they do look alright in browser view. Problem solved - sorry for the bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.