• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tip

4. Simmons 5. Skelton 6. Fardy 7. Pocock 8. Higgenbotham

19. Carter 20. Hooper 21. Palu (22. Giteau 23. JOC (James O'Connor)/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper))

Palu comes on for Skelton at 50 minute mark, moves Fardy to 2nd Row and Higgers to 6.

At 60 minutes you go for speed over size and bring on Hooper.

T

TOCC

For the World Cup?
The squad needs to be submitted around August some time, obviously TRC/injuries may further influence this squad...

Giteau and Mitchell are back in Oz, the announcement may coincide with there return/unveiling.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
4. Simmons 5. Skelton 6. Fardy 7. Pocock 8. Higgenbotham

19. Carter 20. Hooper 21. Palu (22. Giteau 23. JOC (James O'Connor)/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper))

Palu comes on for Skelton at 50 minute mark, moves Fardy to 2nd Row and Higgers to 6.

At 60 minutes you go for speed over size and bring on Hooper.

Knuckles is back......

Giteau as back up halfback is crazy talk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Giteau can be 3rd halfback in the squad of 31 so that if one of the first two gets a 6-10 day knock, he can play 10-15 minutes if it's absolutely necessary for the other one to come off.

To plan to have him on the bench as 2nd halfback is ludicrous. Besides, he'll be starting in the 12 jersey.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Giteau can be 3rd halfback in the squad of 31 so that if one of the first two gets a 6-10 day knock, he can play 10-15 minutes if it's absolutely necessary for the other one to come off.

To plan to have him on the bench as 2nd halfback is ludicrous. Besides, he'll be starting in the 12 jersey.

I wouldn't have Gits as 3rd 9, maybe a desperate 4th option if two are wounded on game day, like seeing Phipps on the wing, sheer desperation

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK

"if" gits is in, who misses out?

We don't need a 5th, we have

To'omua
Lio
Cooper
Foley

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Doesn't matter. But as you say.

Lilo if everybody else is fit, is less established at international level than the other 3, and is more or less a like for like. But also To'omua if his ankle is buggered, Cooper if his shoulder is.

Foley is a little bit more safe than the rest because he's been Cheiks number 1, and hasn't really had a history of injuries. I'd say he's capable at fullback as well, but the semi final wasn't good.

Simple answer is that there's a bees dick between To'omua, Lilo and Gits at 12, and Gits has the left boot that prevents the complete exploitation of right footers that we saw with Tahs v Landers. Add that to more experience in the Northern conditions, and a fairly strong kicking record and you have the game 30-30-40 in MGs favour, at least in my eyes.

T

Train Without a Station

Unless Giteau has beefed up 15kg, or just gotten more dominant in contact, I really don't think he's as close.

Back in 2010 his big issue was that he wasn't a brute in contact. If defense was pushing hard, he'd crab because he was looking on the outside. On defense he was not able to make dominant tackles (he was very reliable though).

Considering his international opponents have only gotten bigger since then, I can't see what value he offers when in these aspect, he only offers what a flyhalf does.

To'omua and Lilo offer greater dominance in contact both sides of the ball.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Unless Giteau has beefed up 15kg, or just gotten more dominant in contact, I really don't think he's as close.

Back in 2010 his big issue was that he wasn't a brute in contact. If defense was pushing hard, he'd crab because he was looking on the outside. On defense he was not able to make dominant tackles (he was very reliable though).

Considering his international opponents have only gotten bigger since then, I can't see what value he offers when in these aspect, he only offers what a flyhalf does.

To'omua and Lilo offer greater dominance in contact both sides of the ball.

The thing that pissed me off about Gits was his running like a crab - killed everybody outside of him

T

Train Without a Station

It wasn't solely his fault though. He was a hole runner, not a tackle buster. If we were on the back foot he'd have to go outside to look for space. Just wasn't the type of player that would be successful at 12 without a bit of momentum in the attack.

That's where a player like Kerevi or Inman can be more valuable. But they can't hit holes and link with players as well as Giteau can. Nor do they have a strong kicking game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see Giteau starting ahead of To'omua at 12...........

He doesn't possess the line breaking ability or solid defence that To'omua brings...........

Oh, and the crabbing......... the crabbing...........

Could be a solid bench option.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gits on the bench covering 12 and 10 at a pinch works for me, but not starting and not anywhere but 12. He's too lateral, as others have pointed out.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Could Gits be a smoky to start at 10?? Plays a bit like Foley, but with more experience and a better boot. Better defender as well.

Given recent Wallaby form he is more likely to replace Foley than To'omua. And Quade is having injury issues.

I'm saying that's what I'd do, but it is a possibility.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The thing that pissed me off about Gits was his running like a crab - killed everybody outside of him

And when he was cornered he usually put in a shithouse kick. Hardly ever used his supports. Very selfish.

When he was out and Lilo played 10, he (Christian) earned MOTM on a number of occasions for the Brumbies.

When he was last playing in Aus for the Brumbies, Matt Giteau was not playing as good as either To'omua or Lealiifano. And there were suggestions abounding about his disruptive influence on the rest of the team. Brumbies fans by and large were not sorry to see him leave, and coincidentally or not, the Brumbies have enjoyed a whole lot more success since he left.

I don't see any reason to play him now in the Wallabies in favour of the players we already have in the 10 and 12 spots.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
And when he was cornered he usually put in a shithouse kick. Hardly ever used his supports. Very selfish.

When he was out and Lilo played 10, he (Christian) earned MOTM on a number of occasions for the Brumbies.

When he was last playing in Aus for the Brumbies, Matt Giteau was not playing as good as either To'omua or Lealiifano. And there were suggestions abounding about his disruptive influence on the rest of the team. Brumbies fans by and large were not sorry to see him leave, and coincidentally or not, the Brumbies have enjoyed a whole lot more success since he left.

I don't see any reason to play him now in the Wallabies in favour of the players we already have in the 10 and 12 spots.

I think you are rewriting history a bit there BR. I distinctly recall Giteau being one of the Brumbies best in the lacklustre 2011 season, and remember sitting in a post-match presser where Tony Rea said that the team's main problem was relying too heavily on Gits.

Actually Rea was quite effusive about Giteau, as a quick google search confirms- http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/union/8262772/giteau-a-must-for-wallabies-says-rea

I'm not saying he was great, just not as terrible as you suggest. It's also flawed to judge him on his 2011 form, because if you were doing that then Kurtley Beale would be one of the first guys you picked.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'd be really disappointed if Lealifano didn't get a look in this year, he's a really solid reliable player that often flies under the radar. His defensive work and coordination of the backline is pretty invaluable as we saw in the 3rd Bledisloe last year

Status
Not open for further replies.