• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby/ Player Sightings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm not sure if a thread like this has been started before; in any case I couldn't find it. I also feel like posting something positive :)

Post here if you see a Wallaby or well known Super 14 player anywhere interesting in public, or manage to have a chat with them and can shed any insight on Wallaby or other rugby related matters. A televised test match or Super rugby game doesn't count.

I'll start.

On the weekend just gone I was at Chermside shopping centre in Brisbane doing a bit of shopping. I was browsing in a shop when a familiar looking face walked past me and I realised it was Anthony Fainga'a. I caught his eye and said, "Hey, Fainga'a!". He'd realised he'd been spotted so he stopped what he was doing and came over to say hi and introduced himself as Anthony and asked what my name was. It was funny, because he talked to me like we were long lost friends; I asked about the England matches he has played recently and told him he had a great year for the Reds, and he was interested in what I was up to on the weekend etc.

Turns out he is injured at the moment, having injured his clavical? (he pointed to his upper left pec, shoulder area) in the recent match against England, and told me Chambers had done his hammy as well. He said it was a tough couple of matches but really boring for the backs and wished they were more involved (like at the Reds eh? :p). I believe he also said playing out of position at the end of the match was something he wasn't use to. He also noted it was unfortunate and annoying that Barnes missed that match winning penalty in the first Baa Baa's match.

Eventually the conversation wrapped up and we shook hands again and went on our ways. A. Fainga'a is a credit to the Queensland Reds and Australia rugby and I was impressed with the way I was treated as a fan, very nice guy. His hand shake is like an iron grip as well. Put this guy in a Wallaby jersey ASAP!

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I work across the road from The Barracks on Petrie Terrace in Brisbane, where there is a cafe. Before the Brumbies game I walked past the cafe and the Tripod were there having a meal (Fainga'a S, Weekes and Daley). I didn't want to bother them as they seemed to be pretty engrossed in their chat, but did yell out to them to smash the Brumbies on the weekend (they decided against taking my advice). This was after the Bulls/Stormers weekends and it was great to see them after they had done their state so proud!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
the place im moving to is the apartment under where John Eales used to live in sydney, one time i saw him walk out with his kids into his audi s6......unfortunately i was wearing my parguay rugby jersey so took no action

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Campese almost ran me over in his white Mazda mx5 way back in 95. It had No. 11 number plates.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I once had a work lunch at a restaurant in Parramatta. In walks a bloke who looks a lot like Michael Foley. Nah, couldn't be him. Then in walks Connolly and Johnson. They sit there for an hour in serious consultation and I was juuuust too far away to hear. Damn!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I have seen Gregan buying veggies at the local Harris Farms a few times now. He buys cabbage, tomatoes, bananas....but if you want more information you'll have to pay.

Have also seen Eales zip around in his fast German luxury vehicle a few times now. Fog lights on in bright sunlight. Intimidating.

Phil Kearns buys coffee from the same shop it seems.

Lote Tiquiri doesn't think it's funny when you pass him and Bondi and shout "should have passed that one, Lote"

Here's a scoop:

A famous ex test cricket drinks Latte. Big money for more details on this one.

Peter Fitzimmons has absolutely no sense of humour. I mean really, asking the man if he's at the barber's for haircut should at least attract some abuse, if anything. Maybe it was my accent but we'll never know.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
My son plays for Brothers Juniors at Crosby Park. John Eales' and Elton Flatley's old club. JE has been there twice (watching Juniors games) since we've been playing there and, needless to say, he's been great to the boys who circled him, including mine. Same with EF.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
...oh, and Richard Harry co-coached my son in Sydney and we shared many a good rugby conversation...he was terrific with the boys and as a person.

C

chief

What does Elton Flately do these days? He had that Celebrity Survivor gig, but what's he doing now?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
What does Elton Flately do these days? He had that Celebrity Survivor gig, but what's he doing now?

Chief, not sure, others may know more. He seems to have sort of faded into the background. Gee, I did remember him though on Saturday night at the ANZ Stadium, all those points in the 03 RWC and Final.

D

daz

Peter Fitzimmons has absolutely no sense of humour.

And is an arrogant twit.

I met him in Paris in 07 at an ARU function, and mentioned that I really enjoyed his book on Nancy Wake. He asked me if I had read his other books and when I said no, he told me to fuck off and return when I had. Of course, he was also drunk as a monkey and ended up dancing shirtless on his table 2 hours later....not a pretty sight!

Cyril Towers (30)
Often see Tom Bowman (Tamworth), Tim Gavin (Gunnedah), Dave Carter (Quirindi)and Bill McKidd (Barraba) at local rugby games in Central North. They all have some involvement with their local clubs and are usually on for a beer and a chat.
They don't make 'em as tough as that lot anymore.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Bob Dwyer was at the Randwick game on Saturday. Good to see him still taking an active interest at the club level.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I met James O'connor in November 2009 when Aus toured the UK. I spoke to him about about the tri nations, super 14 and why the force didn't play him that often, we also chatted abit about his time at nudgee comparing it to my school.

He seemed to be a nice guy and he didn't mind chatting to me for about ten minutes.

Not sure if it was the same day as him and quade did their broadcast thing because i didn't see him with bam bam and quade.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I may have been out at a flash CBD nightspot (late - long story) on Saturday night and the whole English rugby team was there giving it a red hot go. They were pretty happy about stuffing the Wallabies. Steve Thompson looks even funnier close-up with the garden gnome beard, but I declined to point that out in the lift!! A few fairly large humans in that group, but they were a good-natured enough bunch.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I've also served S. Fainga'a a few times when I use to work at my local supermarket, equally nice bloke as his brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.