• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Fox had Pocock listed as 114 in the Test series and 103 when the Brumbies played against the Tahs so I’m not sure what was going on there. Don’t think he is anywhere near 115kg.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Most recent games he (Pocock) has been listed at 103kg. I always had trouble believing 115kg, but I'd bet he is 5 - 10kg heavier than the likes of Hooper and Miller.
Had a chance to meet Pocock at wallabies trial game up close ...not a tall bloke as stats show or wide but gees in terms of pure muscle he is the goods.

I would suggest 105kg tops but pure muscle packed into that 105kgs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
he was 115 before recent bout of surgery and sabbatical I believe. Back when Kearns would rave that he has the biggest arms in rugby (I think in 3rd behind Etzebeth and Chisholm). He leaned down to get more mobile and reduce stress on the lower limbs

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Still don't buy it. If Pocock is/ever was 115, retalick, de Jager etc would be 140.

At his height it would be impossible to be a 7 at 115. Boys have been lying about height and weight since school (and driver's licence).

I imagine they all chuckle heartily at each other's stats.
he was 115 before recent bout of surgery and sabbatical I believe. Back when Kearns would rave that he has the biggest arms in rugby (I think in 3rd behind Etzebeth and Chisholm). He leaned down to get more mobile and reduce stress on the lower limbs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
I can tell you they are not officially weighed or measured, just given a form to fill out and they all add a few kg's & cm's to their actual stats

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Time for another stab at the RWC squad? A backup 10 looks like the most pressing problem in Oz rugby ATM. And we have to find another prop to replace Robbo.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'll have a crack.
I assume squad size is staying at 31.

Props: Scott Sio, Taniela Tupou, Sekope Kepu, James Slipper, Alan Ala'alatoa
Hookers: Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Tolu Latu, Jordan Uelese
Locks: Adam Coleman, Lukhan Tui, Matt Phillip, Will Skelton
Flankers: David Pocock, Michael Hooper, Jack Dempsey, Sean McMahon, Peter Samu
Number 8: Isi Naisarani
Halfbacks: Will Genia, Jake Gordon
Fly-Halves: Bernard Foley, Matt To'omua
Centres: Kurtley Beale, Samu Kerevi, Tevita Kuridrani, Reece Hodge
Wing: Marika Koroibete, Jordan Petaia
Fullback: Dane Haylett-Petty, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt

Shadows
Prop: Jermain Ainsley
Hooker: Folau Fainga'a
Lock: Izack Rodda
Back Row: Caleb Timu
Halfback: Joe Powell
Fly-Half: Quade Cooper
Centre: Bill Meakes
Wing/Fullback: Jack Maddocks/Tom Banks

Potential Bolters:
Prop: Harry Lloyd
Hooker: Anaru Rangi
Lock: Darcy Swain
Back Row: Angus Cottrell/Will Miller
Halfback: Moses Sorovi
Fly-Half: Hamish Stewart/ Andrew Deagan
Centre: Duncan Paia'aua
Wing/Fullback: Andy Muirhead

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'll have a crack.
I assume squad size is staying at 31.

Props: Scott Sio, Taniela Tupou, Sekope Kepu, James Slipper, Alan Ala'alatoa Almost definitely. Hopefully Slipper can focus on rugby in Canberra and get back in gold.
Hookers: Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Tolu Latu, Jordan Uelese I'd expect Taf to be in the squad. Cheika has been doing a lot to keep him around. Also Might swap BPA with Folau.
Locks: Adam Coleman, Lukhan Tui, Matt Phillip, Will Skelton Is Skelton signed for 2019? Also can't see Philip being there either. Where's R. Arnold? He will be there and probably one of Rodda or crowd favourite Simmons.
Flankers: David Pocock, Michael Hooper, Jack Dempsey, Sean McMahon, Peter Samu I rate this backrow a lot but don't think McMahon is having a tilt at RWC. I'm really hoping Dempsey makes a great recovery.
Number 8: Isi Naisarani Remains to be seen if he is quality at the top level..
Halfbacks: Will Genia, Jake Gordon I think Phipps will be here with Genia. No other scrumhalf has stepped up yet.
Fly-Halves: Bernard Foley, Matt To'omua Yep
Centres: Kurtley Beale, Samu Kerevi, Tevita Kuridrani, Reece Hodge Yep
Wing: Marika Koroibete, Jordan Petaia Unless Petaia gets some good minutes on the EOYT I don't think he'll be included. I'd imagine Maddocks/Banks will be here instead.
Fullback: Dane Haylett-Petty, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt Hunt at this rate won't be able to play for a super side let alone Aus will he?

Shadows
Prop: Jermain Ainsley
Hooker: Folau Fainga'a
Lock: Izack Rodda
Back Row: Caleb Timu
Halfback: Joe Powell
Fly-Half: Quade Cooper
Centre: Bill Meakes
Wing/Fullback: Jack Maddocks/Tom Banks

Potential Bolters:
Prop: Harry Lloyd
Hooker: Anaru Rangi
Lock: Darcy Swain
Back Row: Angus Cottrell/Will Miller
Halfback: Moses Sorovi
Fly-Half: Hamish Stewart/ Andrew Deagan
Centre: Duncan Paia'aua
Wing/Fullback: Andy Muirhead

EDIT: I'll throw Luke Jones into the bolters/shadows squad.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
My Turn. (will assume Skelton will not return)

Hooker: TPN, Uelese, Latu
Prop: Sio, Slipper, Thor, Kepu, Ala'alatoa
Lock: Rodda, Coleman, Arnold
5/6: Tui, Jones
7/8: Naisarani, Poey Hoops, Samu
Halfback: Genia, Phipps, Gordon
Flyhalf: To'omua, Foley
Centre: Beale, Hodge, Kerevi, Tk
OB/: Koroibete, DHP, Folau, Maddocks, Naivalu

Shadow (round it up to 40) - Don't usually take 3 Hookers or 3 Halfbacks to I would expect to see probably Simmons and Banks included from this list)

Fainga'a, Robertson, Simmons, Hanigan, Powell, Quade, Petaia, Speight, Banks

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
My Turn. (will assume Skelton will not return)

Hooker: TPN, Uelese, Latu
Prop: Sio, Slipper, Thor, Kepu, Ala'alatoa
Lock: Rodda, Coleman, Arnold
5/6: Tui, Jones
7/8: Naisarani, Poey Hoops, Samu
Halfback: Genia, Phipps, Gordon
Centre: Beale, Hodge, Kerevi, Tk
OB/: Koroibete, DHP, Folau, Maddocks, Naivalu

Shadow (round it up to 40) - Don't usually take 3 Hookers or 3 Halfbacks to I would expect to see probably Simmons and Banks included from this list)

Fainga'a, Robertson, Simmons, Hanigan, Powell, Quade, Petaia, Speight, Banks
It was only last time we didn't because of the draw meaning we had 3 games in 8 days, so they took a calculated punt. If the games are spaced well enough I think we'll revert to normal.

Last time we had Sio acting as the emergency hooker and Gits as the emergency halfback, once we got the Uruguay game out of the way we fortunately got an injury and they brought in a 3rd hooker, I think they left the halfback situation as it was though. If we were to get a similar draw this time they could use Sio in the same role and I'd guess they'd use Foley as the emergency halfback.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

I always love this game (and how wrong we all generally are), and we might actually be seeing the World Cup squad forming on the EOYT.

Prop: Sio, JP, Kepu, Ala'alatoa, Tupou
Hooker: TPN, Uelese, Fainga'a
Lock: Coleman, Arnold, Philip, Rodda
Backrow: Dempsey, Samu, Hooper, Pocock, Naisarani
Halfback: Genia, Prior, Gordon
Centre: Beale, Hodge, Kuridrani, Petaia
Outside Backs: Koroibete, DHP, Folau, Muirhead, Banks

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, we have 8, 6 and 6 days gap, and then 6 or 7 days gap for a quarter, so don't need to manage the workload quire as closely

Yep, we don’t need to manage the squad the same way this time and we might want to have a third hooker and scrum half this time around............

We’ll be fielding a full strength team for the first two matches against Wales and then Fiji, and then we can rest most of our first choice team against Uruguay, but then we’ll need a reasonably strong team for Georgia before the finals.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have a real feeling that TPN will miss the boat, either due to form or injury. OTH I expect James Slipper to be there, and probably competing for the starting LH spot in the harder games.

I think Prior would be a very good inclusion, especially for his goal kicking ability in the lesser games, but I don't expect Cheika to pick anyone from the Force. Despite what RA might say about eligibility, Cheika won't pick from outside the Super teams unless it is to bring a favourite back from O/s.

I will be mightily surprised if Andrew Muirhead makes the squad but Kerevi doesn't.

So, I'd expect :

Hooker : Latu, Fainga'a, Uelese (if fit);

Props : Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Kepu;

Locks : Coleman, Rodda, Arnold, Tui;

Backrow : Pocock, Hooper, Samu, Timu, Dempsey, Naisarani;

No 9 : Genia, Phipps, Powell/Gordon;

No 10 : Foley, To'omua;

Centres : Beale, Kuridrani, Kerevi, Hodge;

Outside Backs : Folau, Koroibete, Banks, Maddocks, Petaia.

Cheika might elect to go with only two No 9s and bolster the locks with Simmons, but I wouldn't.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There seems to be a general consensus that Uelese will be there. Seriously doubt it. Been injured for the better part of two seasons and has now fallen well behind in experience to BPA, Fainga' a and Latu.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There seems to be a general consensus that Uelese will be there. Seriously doubt it. Been injured for the better part of two seasons and has now fallen well behind in experience to BPA, Fainga' a and Latu.

Those three are much of a muchness for me. Whereas Uelese has in his (very limited) time shown to be much more able than them. I think there'll be room for him at the expense of one of them.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Until we see Tui or Naisarani pulling a Radike and on the wing for a game, I'm not interested.
I do not see the need for Naisarani or Samu and if Tui comes it will be primarily as a lock that can play 6. Dempsey and McMahon should be pursued and Cottrell tried on the EOYT.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hope it will be TPN,Latu and Uelese as hookers. All three are quality. Not sure about BPA and Fainga just yet but it’s early days for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.