• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PhucNgo

he is quick and he has good positional play but he isnt a saviour and he isnt a ullback, he is a winger and as a winger he is a finisher, not a creator.

Yeah but he's an active finisher as opposed to Tuqiri who's a passive finisher i.e. Mitchell's got the nose for a try and puts himself in the right position. Tuqiri, well he's just got a nose.

That is what you want of a winger, and it is a lot more than Lote has been giving us.

Using the Noddy method Tuqiri is giving .45 (30/66) - not flash when you compare him to the Rok and Sivivatu.

R

Rugby Rat

Lote just crabbed it back to the middle. Big step inside and headed for the posts.

Problem is that in league you will end up putting the ball under the black dot. In Union you still have a bit to do and have also run away from your support.

Why didn't he have someone smart enough to run a straight centre field line to end up off his shoulder I will never know.

A conservative estimate might be upwards of another 50 Wallabies tries given how many tests he has played.

On another line of thinking maybe Lote was just too speedy. No one could get there.

Could anyone give me a stat on how many times Lote has been tackled 5- 15 out form the tryline, almost centerfield and totally isolated. IE we turn it over or almost turn it over.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby Rat said:
A conservative estimate might be upwards of another 50 Wallabies tries given how many tests he has played.

hey? A try a game?

Rugby Rat said:
Could anyone give me a stat on how many times Lote has been tackled 5- 15 out form the tryline, almost centerfield and totally isolated. IE we turn it over or almost turn it over.

yep, 87 times in tests, 96 in Super matches and 12 in club.

R

Rugby Rat

Noddy said:
Rugby Rat said:

hey? A try a game?

Rugby Rat said:

yep, 87 times in tests, 96 in Super matches and 12 in club.
LOL. Based upon your stats I could change that to 87... However we have all seen it many a time. It's such a tease. Looks like we are going in only to turn it over 5 -15 out.

R

rugbywhisperer

waratahjesus said:
he is quick and he has good positional play but he isnt a saviour and he isnt a ullback, he is a winger and as a winger he is a finisher, not a creator.

That is the paradigm we have all ben lulled into believing.
Campese was a creator and I for one would love to see more of Mitchell. Speed, Elusiveness and the nous to have a go and back himself.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rugby Rat said:
How Drew was dropped for the WC Qtr I will never know.

Because he was a liability in contact, as he continually got turned over.

He is better now

R

Rugby Rat

Still..Top tryscorer at that stage in the WC.

Pies win games not penalties. Very average call IMO.

R

rugbywhisperer

Rugby Rat said:
Still..Top tryscorer at that stage in the WC.

I agree totally, but at all levels of the game 16 thru to test,it's defence defence defence andif you get a try as well you have done well.
I would much prefer to see a good bach 3 scoring tries than being tied up in defence and not having a go - anyday all day

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
You guys werent alone, we dropped our form wing and probably player in Doug Howlett.

Still hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rugby Rat said:

Pretty interesting statement given there were no tries scored in the final 2007. Defence wins games at RWC, not tries.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And no back was going to win that game for us, the way out forwards were getting smashed off the ball.

R

Rugby Rat

NTA said:
Rugby Rat said:

Pretty interesting statement given there were no tries scored in the final 2007. Defence wins games at RWC, not tries.
And your point is ? Fiji played for tries with 14 men and Ripped SA apart. They almost did the job. LOL.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rugby Rat said:
And your point is ? Fiji played for tries with 14 men and Ripped SA apart. They almost did the job. LOL.

Fiji (and some of the PIs in general) played a low percentage style of football. Sometimes, when the passes stick and enough players are playing very well, things come off and games like this occur. When they don't, they get well beaten.

Great games to watch, though. I really enjoyed the PI pool games in the World Cup.

R

Rugby Rat

Yep... Amazing what you can acheive when you actually attempt to score tries.

Not only do you increase the chances of a win BUT also give the spectators a great game to watch.

Fiji vs SA...The Fijians were awesome. Ripped SA apart with 14 men by throwing it around, then decided to go back into their shell when they again had 15.

Inexperience I guess. Fiji should have won. SA were gagging.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Now I'm gagging from the stench ::)

It was a very entertaining game but make no mistake - the Saffers were in very little danger once they got into the right mental space. Kick-and-chase won the World Cup. Woulda coulda shoulda for the Fijians but they were never going to take the event with that style of play. Even if they'd managed the miracle of beating South Africa, they'd still need to take out Argentina/England/All Blacks/France and at any point in the last two games they would have had their forwards ground into dust at the lineout and scrum. All very nice to romanticise about it, but that's Test rugby.

R

Rugby Rat

I suggest you watch the game again. SA were ripped to shreds and had nothing.

Fiji just needed to keep playing an attacking game. They didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.