• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Let the speculation begin.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Beale To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Mogg
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Horwill
20. McCalman
21. Burgess Genia
22. To'omua Beale
23. McCabe

A lot of the big names having good starts to the year. Took a while for some of them to get into last season. Wing and lock look to be the weaknesses and really up for grabs.

Really hope more Reds put there hands up and make my next side.

Edited: Peer pressure and yes, To'omua is a better 12. In my defence I was really trying not to put players out of position and nearly named McCabe there initially. Genia also showing some improvement and worthy of at least a bench spot.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd start Sio at the moment, bench Robbo.
Speight might be goneski with a broken jaw, and is not eligible until Sep 11 anyway. Not sure about the wing combo, although Mogg has kicked along past few weeks. Other wingers - maybe Cummins??
I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be at 13, Kuridrani bench (maybe)
Hard to argue against the rest on form.
I'm sure some will!! :D

P

Paradox

Yep Beale was a liability at 12 in defense. Great seeing Palu fit. Mogg needs to sort out his defense. No way i'd play him on the wing

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep Beale was a liability at 12
No. To'omua played better for sure, Beale was not a liability. He tried a bit, took a lot of traffic down his channel. Tahs got beaten up front (first half particularly).
I'm not sure 12 is his best position.
I'd have To'omua at 12 for the Wallabies too.

P

Paradox

No. To'omua played better for sure, Beale was not a liability. He tried a bit, took a lot of traffic down his channel. Tahs got beaten up front (first half particularly).
I'm not sure 12 is his best position.
I'd have To'omua at 12 for the Wallabies too.

I meant in defense and should have said so sorry. Too many easy metres in his channel

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I meant in defense and should have said so sorry. Too many easy metres in his channel
Yeah, he hasn't adjusted positionally. He made some decent front-on tackles, but was caught in the wrong spot a bit. It can be learned, and he's not there yet. He could be OK, but never as brutal a defender as To'omua. I do like the options with him and Foley interchanging, but the Tahs never really got to settle into that as the Brumbies disrupted so well and made them rush things.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Beale could be a good 12 and has surprised me. He and Cooper together would have oppositions quite happy though when we are defending. On attack with Coopers long pass he could play a lot wider at 12 and create havoc out wide. Anyway that was one of the few spots I agonised over a bit and for a test tomorrow I would also have To'omua at 12.

Only reason for going with Mogg on the wing is that very few wingers have really stood up consistently. Cummins has had few chances and Davies has looked about as good as anyone else so things must be bad.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. Mogg
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Horwill
20. McCalman
21. Burgess
22. To'omua
23. McCabe

A lot of the big names having good starts to the year. Took a while for some of them to get into last season. Wing and lock look to be the weaknesses and really up for grabs.

Really hope more Reds put there hands up and make my next side.

Our weakness with Genia playing poorly is 9. I like White, but he makes too many mistakes to be starting Wallaby 9. I've been a Phipps hater in the past, but he is really playing well this year. Burgess is a real possibility for the bench spot, though he and Phipps are very similar players.

As above but

1. Sio
9. ?
12. To'omua
14. Cummins.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With Fardy, Palu and McCalman in such fine form at the moment I can't see a place for Higginbotham.........

Early days though.........

T

Tip

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
Stopped reading at #5.

Wallabies can't afford to carry passengers in the Lineout.

Pyle, Jones, Simmons, Horwill, Carter are all better in the air and it's not as if you lose much oomph around the paddock.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
With Fardy, Palu and McCalman in such fine form at the moment I can't see a place for Higginbotham...

Early days though...

It all just depends what Link wants from his back row. He loved using Higgers playing loose at the Reds, he might want something like that again in the 23. Higgers form so far has been good, even in a beaten team.

Maybe the answer is to drop Horwill and move Fardy to lock to free up a space for Higgers.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I understand the reasoning, but jeez I love Fardy at 6. He's really injected some mongrel in the Wallaby pack since starting there. Good on the gallop, great at the break down and can lay the hurt on in defence. I say we leave him where he is.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stopped reading at #5.

Wallabies can't afford to carry passengers in the Lineout.

Pyle, Jones, Simmons, Horwill, Carter are all better in the air and it's not as if you lose much oomph around the paddock.

Pyle and Jones as test second rowers?

Not bloody likely.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Our weakness with Genia playing poorly is 9. I like White, but he makes too many mistakes to be starting Wallaby 9. I've been a Phipps hater in the past, but he is really playing well this year. Burgess is a real possibility for the bench spot, though he and Phipps are very similar players.

It took me 30 mins to realise that Phipps was playing tonight..........

He could find himself being behind Genia, White and Burgess in the pecking order..........

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah, I dont think tonights game did anything for the chances of Phipps, Foley or Beale (at 12)..q

Quade will start at 10, and To'omua offers a point of difference off the bench with the way he defends, and may end up at 12.

Patty McCabe is putting his name back in contention at 12 and it will be interesting to see what happens at the Brumbies when Leo is back.

Wingers are interesting and it might be the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cummins end up there with Speight injured and Kurindrani at 13..

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
didnt see last nights game, and hard for a winger to stand out in a beaten team - how is Lauchie Turner fairing?

Status
Not open for further replies.