• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaroos v Canada Saturday 11 May (Allianz Stadium)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A really strong Wallaroos team named, built largely and justifiably around the Waratahs. Three potential debutants on the bench with Sam Wood an absolute star in the making. Layne Morgan has had her best year in rugby, but will be kept on her toes by Wood.

WALLAROOS TEAM LIST

1. Brianna Hoy (NSW Waratahs) – 3 caps
2. Tania Naden (ACT Brumbies) – 10 caps
3. Bridie O'Gorman (NSW Waratahs) – 17 caps
4. Kaitlan Leaney (NSW Waratahs) – 15 caps
5. Michaela Leonard (c) (Western Force) – 22 caps
6. Siokapesi Palu (ACT Brumbies) – 6 caps
7. Ashley Marsters (Melbourne Rebels) – 26 caps
8. Piper Duck (NSW Waratahs) – 10 caps
9. Layne Morgan (NSW Waratahs) – 19 caps
10. Arabella McKenzie (NSW Waratahs) – 21 caps
11. Desiree Miller (NSW Waratahs) – 2 caps
12. Trilleen Pomare (Western Force) – 24 caps
13. Georgina Friedrichs (NSW Waratahs) – 19 caps
14. Maya Stewart (NSW Waratahs) – 8 caps
15. Lori Cramer (Queensland Reds) – 19 caps

Reserves

16. Hera-Barb Malcolm Heke* (Western Force) - debut
17 Sally Fuesaina* (ACT Brumbies) – debut
18. Eva Karpani (NSW Waratahs) – 21 caps
19. Atasi Lafai (NSW Waratahs) – 9 caps
20. Leilani Nathan (NSW Waratahs) – 2 caps
21. Tabua Tuinakauvadra (ACT Brumbies) – 4 caps
22. Samantha Wood* (Western Force) - debut
23. Faitala Moleka (ACT Brumbies) – 6 caps

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Caitlyn Halse is probably pretty unlucky not to be making her debut. I expect she'll get a crack soon. Her play has come along so much this season.

Does anyone know what happened to Adiana Talakai this season? She was named in the Waratahs squad but didn't play a game. I assume she has a long term injury.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No idea about Talakai but agree about Halse. Don’t think Cramer was that great this year, albeit at the back of a very poor Qld team. I think her best game was actually at 10 v the Rebels.

Her kicking is pretty clutch though. I assume she kicks for goal over Bella?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Her kicking is pretty clutch though. I assume she kicks for goal over Bella?

Not sure. I didn't watch many Reds games this season but McKenzie's goal kicking was excellent. She even nailed a couple of conversions from the sideline. Seems to have more distance than most.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Canada currently one place above Aus in the Rankings (4 v 5) & thumped USA 50-7 in first game of the comp. Should be a good battle.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah. Saw a lot let go. But we didn't compete enough at ruck time in defence and were too slow moving it on attack. We have a good backline but it needs quicker ball. Certainly did tonight. It would have also caught the Canadians off guard and offside more. Anyway, it was an improvement from our last meeting and we kept them out in the last 5 minutes which was pleasing.

The big separator was the pack. Particularly at maul time.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well, wasn't that a brutal reality check. After our hopes were raised by a dominant Tahs team cleaning up all their opponents by at least 15 points, the Tahs-heavy Wallaroos were comprehensively outplayed by a well-prepared and skilful Canadian team. The Canadians did the simple rugby things, well, simply. Their alignment and realignment was dynamically good and their tackling and cover defence very effective. One thing I've enjoyed watching the women this year (I've seen the Tahs play the Brumbies twice) is the tackling around the legs. So effective. To my eye the Canadians looked fitter and stronger. Their tall forwards, #4 and #5 and the replacement, were magnificent, they produced everything one would expect from a robust tight forward. The Wallaroos didn't have an answer to their tall timber.

The Wallaroos, well, they could've, and should've played better. The #10, McKenzie, had a game she'd probably like to forget. Getting sucked into a pointless kicking contest which resulted in a Canadian try in the second half sorta summed up her game. Why she didn't feed her fast and skilful backs remains a mystery. #11, Miller, was a shining light for the Oz girls; every time she got the pill she made metres, even in traffic with two or three defenders crowding her. By crikey she's fast. Going back to McKenzie this aimless, useless and constant kicking game is on display at the Tahs' men's games, surely the Wallaroos coach worked out it doesn't work.

After the game I had a long chat with Gillian from the wider Canadian side. She's an engineer of some seven years standing, and has a generous employer who gives her lots of leave. What I was trying to establish was the level of professionalism among the Canadian players; Chris Whitaker reckoned they were semi-professional and some played in Europe. Gillian confirmed this, telling me the women receive an income from Canadian Rugby (but not enough to live on, she said), but, 2/3 of the squad play in England or France where they are well paid. Most Canadian women players start playing in their late teens or early university, where there are quite good programs. Gillian told me a lot of the players come across from lacrosse and basketball (mmm, handy for rugby, what?) and others from wrestling (VERY handy for rugby).

Curious fact: Gillian and two others from this squad played in the last women's Rugby League World Cup! It was a scatch side as there isn't a women's RL comp in Canada. She was quite bemused by the upper body tackles in league. Aren't we all?

Top Bottom