• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wanted Coaches for a S14 side

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Damon Emtage quits embattled Reds

Bret Harris | August 28, 2009
Article from: The Australian

QUEENSLAND Reds backs coach Damon Emtage has re-signed his position from the struggling Super 14 team.
Emtage, who played two games for Queensland at five-eighth in 1993, has been on the Reds' coaching staff for four years, assisting three head coaches _ Jeff Miller, Eddie Jones and Phil Mooney.

Citing family reasons, Emtage will quit professional rugby coaching and return to teaching at Brisbane Grammar school.

Emtage survived the Reds' season review which resulted in the release of forwards coach Mark Bell, but he intimated to Mooney at the end of the Super 14 series in May that he was thinking of leaving.

There is speculation Wallabies inside centre Berrick Barnes would have stayed in Queensland and not moved to NSW Waratahs if he had known there was going to be a change.

It is understood Emtage pushed for Quade Cooper to be the Reds' five-eighth ahead of Barnes.

A spokesman for the Reds said there was no immediate replacement in mind as Emtage only announced his decision to the team yesterday morning.

At the moment it is Mooney all by himself.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Didn't Noddy say Barnes left the reds partly because of Emtage. The Reds need some decent coaching replacements and quickly or else we're going to be stuck with the more dregs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think this adds weight to the rumours I heard that Berrick is already in talks with the Reds about returning for the 2011 season.

I wonder if Paul Carozza might step up. He's highly regarded at the QRU, but perhaps they see more value in him staying with the academy.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Bret Harris said:

Damon Emtage has re-signed his position
Is it just me, or is there a fundamental difference between "resigned" and "re-signed"

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Moses said:
Bret Harris said:

Damon Emtage has re-signed his position
Is it just me, or is there a fundamental difference between "resigned" and "re-signed"
It's like something can be delicious, or de-licious!
Actually there was a good story in the herald (Column Eight) the other day about someone being told in a shop than an item they wanted was "deranged", and the shop assistant earnestly insisted that it did not mean whacko but "removed from the range". Go figure.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
When I use "re-signed" I mean that someone had a contract and have extended it for a further period.

When I use "resigned" I mean that somone has terminated their contract.

To my mind the words are complete opposites, do I have this wrong?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You are correct Moses! But I get confused myself with these two words.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Sully said:
But I get confused myself with these two words.
Perhaps, but you don't write for The Australian so perhaps shouldn't be held to as high a standard......

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yes, "re-signed' and "resigned" have a world of difference in their meanings. But it doesn't take an Einstein to work out Emtage was leaving the Reds as he wished to "quit professional rugby coaching and return to teaching at Brisbane Grammar School".

QRU, please use this as an opportunity to improve the Reds. 8) :praying: 8)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
I think this adds weight to the rumours I heard that Berrick is already in talks with the Reds about returning for the 2011 season.

I wonder if Paul Carozza might step up. He's highly regarded at the QRU, but perhaps they see more value in him staying with the academy.
Carozza might be a good option and it would be just reward for him.

Forwards Coach will be announced shortly.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To be honest I'm not particularly excited about the liklihood of Jim Williams being our forwards coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.