• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Cup & Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If you are correct, then I see this as just another example of the fragmented and compartmentalised structure that is NSW Rugby. There are too many organisations and bureaucracies all claiming ownership of the more or less the same domain. Consequently to retain the powerbase, the organisations don't talk to each other and they act in splendid isolation (with all the best of intentions and firm conviction that they have the best interests of their stakeholders at heart).

The Peak body has its own issues to deal and seems to be too busy trying to keep the clowns inside the circus tent to do anything else. There is conseqeuently no time to actually be the Ringmaster and provide the leadership, strategic guidance and coordination necessary to promote and grow the game whilst taking full advantage of all opportunities that present themselves such as a 50th Waratah Shield.

To say that the situation with the professional arm and showpiece of "Rugby NSW", The Tahs, hasn't helped matters is a Sybil Fawlty Award winning Blinding Statement of the Obvious.

If NSWRU and its affiliates were a listed public company, it would most likely be a placed in a trading halt while the administrators were called in.

Organisational review and defragmentation is long overdue.

Rant over, Back on topic, where did you get the "roll of honour" of previous winners from?

How many of the 14 St Eddies titles did J. Papahatzis coach?

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
As far as I know John Papa was coaching St Edmunds in my day in senior footy as far back as 1996, I was also present at the 1997 and 98 shield finals and he was coaching there. not sure when he stopped at eddies but my understanding was when canberra schools got kicked out? (Correct me if im wrong) so that would make it 8 titles with eddies, then a further 3 with Auggies. Ill give credit where credit is due and he certainly knows how to coach a rugby side. I remember in my day, Auggies were a by sight in the rugby landscape. He went there and obviously turned things around.

It is my opinon though that Eddies were overrated in that time , only purely because they were judged on their string of waratah shield titles, and dominating in a fairly weak ASC competition for all those years. The only real competition came from marist with the other schools no where near up to standadr, Daramalan had been competitive in the past when it was not co-ed but when it turned co-ed its rugby dropped. They never actualy played any real opposition until 2004 when they came up against Joeys getting smacked 48-0 . I firmly believe that had they played some of the top GPS/CAS sides consistently over that time they woudl have had similar results. Dont get me wrong, they were a good rugby side, doing the job with what came in front of them but around that time they were called one of asutralias best rugby schools - bit hard to say that when they didnt play the best schools in teh first place.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
By my reckoning the competition just completed was the 50th running of the Waratah Shield.
Maybe an opportunity was missed to promote the 2012 final as a milestone worthy of more attention in the media?
Maybe the Waratahs could have attended?
Maybe it could have been staged as a curtain-raiser to a significant senior match?
Eighteen different schools have won the Shield in that time (9 multiple winners and 9 one time winners) with, of course, St Edmund's College Canberra the standout, with 14 titles.

I found a link at which gives results up to 2010:

http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/Waratah_Shield__Cup_Handbook_2011.pdf

I have looked at this link and 1st game appears to have been in 1963 with Randwick Boys winning title.

If that is correct than ISA follower there still might be a chance for some pf the things you have suggested.

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks Runner, but I think your maths is out. If shield competitions have been completed from 1963 to 2012 (inclusive), then 50 titles have been awarded already.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
WARATAH SHIELD PREMIERS
1963: Randwick Boys' High
1964: Hurlstone Agricultural College
1965: Homebush Boys' High School
1966: Manly Boys' High School
1966: Manly Boys' High School
1967: Epping Boys' High School
1968: Epping Boys' High School
1969: Eppying Boys' High School
1970: Manly Boys' High School
1971: Nth. Sydney Boys' High School
1972: Matraville High School
1973: Nth. Sydney Boys' High School
1974: St Stanislaus College
1975: Randwick Boys' High School
1976: Matraville High School
1977: Matravile High School
1978: Randwick Boys' High School
1979: James Ruse Agricultural High School
1980: St Stanislaus College
1981: St Stanislaus College
1982: Randwick Boys' High School
1983: Matraville High School
1984: St Edmund's College
1985: St Edmund's College
1986: St Edmund's College
1987: St Edmund's College
1988: Marist College, Canberra
1989: St Edmund's College
1990: Scot's College
1991: St Edmund's College
1992: Canberra Marist College
1993: Canberra Marist College
1994: Oakhill College
1995: St Stanislaus College
1996: St Patricks College Strathfield
1997: St Edmund's College
1998: St Edmund's College
1999: St Edmund's College
2000: St Edmund's College
2001: St Edmund's College
2002: St Edmund's College
2003: St Edmund's College
2004: St Edmund's College
2005: Westfields Sports High
2006: Barker College
2007: Matraville Sports High School
2008: St Augustines College
2009: St Augustines College
2010: Hills Sports High School
2011 St Augustine's College
2012 St Augustines College

Count the winners ISAfollower correct

L

luke

"As far as I know John Papa was coaching St Edmunds in my day in senior footy as far back as 1996, I was also present at the 1997 and 98 shield finals and he was coaching there. not sure when he stopped at eddies but my understanding was when canberra schools got kicked out? (Correct me if im wrong) so that would make it 8 titles with eddies, then a further 3 with Auggies. Ill give credit where credit is due and he certainly knows how to coach a rugby side. I remember in my day, Auggies were a by sight in the rugby landscape. He went there and obviously turned things around."

I have been reading this thread for some time and I thought I would shed some light on a school which has attracted its fair share of flak in the last few years. When I was at the school, it was league only until we were kicked out of the local rugby league comp for being too dominant in 2001, in 2002 Augustines joined the local rugby union competition. At this point we were beating everyone by 50 including a coogee team coached by a certain famous Ella, this made everyone stand up and notice and unfortunately, it was not in a good way and we were kicked out of the local rugby union comp, again. With no comp to play in, most of the team/talent shifted schools. players like Daniel Kelly (syd uni) Bryce gearin (son of Canterbury great Steve) moved to iggies, starring in their 2003 gps title win and a few others played in joeys 1sts teams in 2003,2004. When Tim Cleary came to the school in 02 he saw what was happening to the schools local talent, being stripped by GPS schools and applied to be re-instated to the ISA competition. In 2005 pappa arrived and moved to retain its current talent and build on it. It has always been there, just never developed, until now. Over the years we have had some quality coaches such as Des Hasler (before taking up a role at the sea eagles) but nothing has come close to John papa.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
John Papahatzis has copped some flack on these threads from time to time.

IMHO a strong Augies is good for the ISA rugby as well as NSW Schoolboy footy in general. Some effective competition to CAS and GPS is of benefit to all competitions.

On the subject of ISA, St Gregory's seems to be a sleeping giant in the ISA competition, if only they can get all their available talent on the oval. I am told that there are many very skilled athletes locked up in the mungo programme.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Just had a look at the link that was posted above (http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/Waratah_Shield__Cup_Handbook_2011.pdf) and noticed the 'Bye' vs Knox Grammar game in the draw. That 'Bye' - team 31, was actually meant to be my school, but our coach, in his...infinite wisdom...decided to forfeit the game on our behalf, without telling us before he'd done it. His reasoning was that ''getting you lot down to Sydney would be a nightmare, we're not going''. I was lucky enough to get another chance to play a GPS school a couple of years before, but needless to say we weren't impressed. He wasn't exactly my favourite coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.