• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I presume the cup is still underway?
That is where things have changed. Many schools without a rugby program seem happy in that competition and would forfeit against a GPS etc. association. It is the schools who should be making the shield the peak event that have not.

The concept of the 4 main groups winners playing in a knock out seems a fine format.

All these schools are were the next senior players are coming from so taking an easy way out send a poor message that giving in is OK.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
When i receive emails from parents / teachers and people on rugby boards suggesting why field a side if we cant compete that is wrong - do the kids want to play and the parents / teachers are looking for a cop out.

Why are the Wobs going to Wellington this weekend then?

Seeing more excuses than initiatives in this day and age and that is disappointing - and a piss poor example for our kids.

If you'r your no good;
  • Don't do it.
  • What happened to do the best you can, work hard and enjoy it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I presume the cup is still underway?
That is where things have changed. Many schools without a rugby program seem happy in that competition and would forfeit against a GPS etc. association. It is the schools who should be making the shield the peak event that have not.

The concept of the 4 main groups winners playing in a knock out seems a fine format.

All these schools are were the next senior players are coming from so taking an easy way out send a poor message that giving in is OK.

I presume that the cup is underway. Back in early June I saw some information about local preliminary rounds, but finding out government secrets in North Korea would be easier than finding out about what's happening in the Waratah Cup. My understanding was that the Waratah Cup final was timed to be played next Wednesday just before the Waratah Shield final - presumably this is still the case.

The four main group winners playing a knockout is a reasonable concept - it's just that the winners of two of the four weren't interested, which makes the whole thing a bit of a farce really.

We now have St Augustine's into the final on forfeit playing Oakhill - who they've already played twice this year, the last occasion a couple of weeks ago. So what is all this actually deciding?

On the ball

Frank Row (1)
Re: Waratah Cup
I know the 2 qualifiers from Sydney West were St Pats Blacktown and Epping Boys HS but I haven't heard any results since May

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Yesterday afternoon at TG Milner, it was great to see Schoolboys rugby played in the Waratah Cup and Shield Grand Final.
The bottom line is, who doesn't enjoy a game of schoolboy rugby on sunny Wednesday afternoon?!

One of the linespersons was a female and she was excellent, at one stage the punters on the hill thought they saw a forward pass that nearly ended in a try for the opposition team - but people further along the hill and closer to the hill assured the rest that the pass was not forward and the female linesperson had correctly called it.

Waratah CUP Grand Final
Blacktown Patrician Brothers 29 - Erindale College Canberra (defending the Cup) 24.
A very close game as the scoreline suggests, the Brothers were ahead most of the game but Erindale fought gallantly nearly levelling the score.
It looked to me like a lot of the the Brothers were league players but they played union as per the rules and very disciplined.

Waratah SHIELD Grand Final (or as some people call it The Third Time St Augs have played Oakhill this year)
St Augs 13 (defending the Shield) Oakhill 10.
Another very close game.
Oakhill came out strong and earned a penalty quite quickly. The wind was very gusty so hard to convert. Then a try (not converted) and at halftime the score was 10-3 (St Augs also earned a penalty).
St Augs didn't help withemselves with lots of dropped ball, spilled, handling errors and kicking the wrong way into the wind. It was a game for the piggies as QH had suggested when it was wet last week, although the game then was not played. It was dry yesterday but a game for the forwards - some of the backs hardly touched the ball all game.
However in the second half St Augs picked up their momentum and scored two tries (not converted), Oakhill did seem to run out of puff unfortunately.

Not sure what the future of the Shield is, not much of a competition if only three schools will get involved.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is it happening in 2017?

Yes, it is. Not sure of the format.

I understand that Augustine's played a game against a school from Coffs Harbour 2 or 3 weeks ago which they won. I think they are playing a game against Westfield Sports High this week or next week (maybe they've already played it).

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Today St Augs plays Riverview at 2pm at TG Milner, in a Shield game.

I presume there might also be a Cup game today at TG; often the two comps play at the same venue on the same day.
And of course the GF of both Shield and Cup are held at TG Milner.

St Augs are up for a major challenge today v Riverview with most of their backline out including their Aus Schoolboys reps Albert H and Max D.
The forwards are going to have to work extra extra hard today - let's hope their defence is better than the Wobs was in the first half on Saturday night....

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
I wasn't at the game but I heard St Augs by 10.
St Augs had a lot of Yr 11 boys, sounds like Riverview did too.

If get any more details I will post them

Ball in hand

Frank Nicholson (4)
any details on the final I heard its tomorrow but don't know where, when or who is playing so any info would be helpful

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
GF of Waratah Shield tomorrow at TG Milner.
St Augs v Hills Sports High (Seven Hills) which has very handy rugby program.
St Augs still missing a few key players.

Good luck to both St Augs and Hills Sports High tomorrow.
The winner will be high school rugby

Kickoff at 2-2.30pm and I am presuming that same as last year the CUP GF will be tomorrow as well.

I am guessing the Cup GF will kick off around 12-12.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.