• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I would prefer Turner at 13 and Pakalani to the wing.

Cross is OK at 12, but gets the "gits" playing 13 and just runs his wingers into the grandstand

Holmes ain't going to get a chance until someone is wounded

You are probably right about Holmes if Hickey is selecting, but I started with the question "What would strengthen the overall squad without totally damaging our chances of winning?" Top squad thinking vs top run-on team thinking. The game against the Cheetahs is not a final.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Saw him about 3 weeks ago watching his brother Miles play for the JWs. Just walking around he was still limping noticeably.

Hawko - good post.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ack-it-long-term/story-e6frg7o6-1226023053973

WALLABIES centre Rob Horne has agreed to a two-year contract extension with the ARU and the NSW Waratahs.

Horne has endured an injury-plagued career since making his debut for the Waratahs in 2008 at just 18.

An integral member of Robbie Deans’ Wallabies starting line-up when fully fit, Horne has accumulated six Tests since winning his maiden cap against Fiji last year.

The robust 21-year-old is expected to miss a further six Super Rugby matches to due to a recurring elbow problem but his new deal is evidence that the Waratahs and the national body are prepared to back him for the long haul.

Hmmm...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I would have thought the far more controversial sentence in that article was

I think since AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s move to 13 Horne is miles away from being integral.

He was first choice for a season until he got injured. It's as fair a call as saying digby is first choice, as if any player goes down the team moves on. If he didn't get injured we may never have had beale at fullback.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would have thought the far more controversial sentence in that article was

I think since AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s move to 13 Horne is miles away from being integral.

True

on last years form, on this years?, it is less certain

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tahs Website said:
Rob Horne stays for two more years

By Waratahs Rugby Media Unit

Rob Horne will remain an HSBC Waratah until the end of 2013. (Getty Images)

Rob Horne has confirmed his intentions to stay in Sydney after penning a new two-year deal with the HSBC Waratahs and the Australian Rugby Union.
The new deal will see the dynamic centre remain with the HSBC Waratahs until the end of 2013.
Horne said that he considered a number of different options before opting to continue his Super Rugby career with NSW.
“I was in a good position where I had a number of options to consider and it allowed me to have a good look at what else is out there,” said Horne. “There were some tempting offers on the table but I feel privileged to stay at the club which gave my first opportunity in Rugby.
“I feel like I’ve still got a lot to achieve here. I’ve had a few disruptions with injury which is frustrating but once you get over the disappointment it makes you work even harder to get back on the field and contribute to the team’s success.”
It has been mixed fortunes for Horne in recent weeks with the powerhouse centre forced to spend time on the sidelines after injuring his elbow against the Crusaders in round three.
“I’m not the greatest spectator; I’d much rather be out there playing,” said Horne. “I guess one advantage this time around is that I’ve had an elbow injury before and I know what to expect in the rehab.
“I know what I can do to maintain my fitness while still protecting and strengthening the elbow and we’ve already started that process.
“I’m not writing the season off by any means. This group has an great opportunity to do really well this year and I want to be a part of it.”
An Australian Schools rep in 2007, Horne represented Australian Sevens the following summer before making his Super 14 debut for the Waratahs in 2008 aged just 18.
Forced home from his first Wallaby Spring Tour in 2009, Horne had a disrupted start to his 2010 Super Rugby campaign before showing the form which earned his Test debut against Fiji.
Horne went on to earn six Test caps last season and scored a try in the opening match of the new Super Rugby season against the Melbourne Rebels.
ROB HORNE
Position: Centre
Physical: 186cm, 90kg
Born: 15.08.89, Sydney NSW
Club: Southern Districts
State Caps: 33
State Points: 35 [7t]
State Debut: 2008 v Brumbies
Super Rugby Caps: 33
Super Rugby Points: 35 [7t]
Super Rugby Debut: 2006 v Brumbies
Test Caps: 6
Test Points: 0
Test Debut: 2010 v Fiji

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Timing right for McCutcheon

* Bret Harris
* March 18, 2011 12:00AM

NSW Waratahs will get a glimpse of the future when Pat McCutcheon starts at openside flanker against the Cheetahs in Sydney tomorrow night.

McCutcheon has replaced injured openside flanker Phil Waugh, who has dominated the sky blue No 7 for 12 years.

During this time, many aspiring opensides have come and gone at the Waratahs, including Keith Gleeson, Lei Tomeki, Matt Hodgson and Beau Robinson.

But McCutcheon's timing might be better with Waugh believed to be undecided about his future beyond this year.

"I've been popping a few retirement plans into his pigeon-hole," McCutcheon said yesterday. "See if he gets the idea."

McCutcheon knows he has big boots to fill, figuratively speaking at least.

"Over the past 10 years Waughy has had a stronghold over the No 7 jersey," McCutcheon said. "He has done a magnificent job.

"It's a big role to fill. You can gain or lose a game at the breakdown. Having to fulfil that role is quite a big deal.

"Hopefully, I can bring a lot of energy, a high workrate and try to win that first-phase ball 100 per cent of the time."

McCutcheon made his debut for the Waratahs at blindside flanker against the Highlanders towards the end of last year's Super rugby season.

He then played for the Australian Barbarians against England, captained the silver medal-winning Australian sevens team at the Commonwealth Games and toured Hong Kong and Europe with the Wallabies.

Building up from 100kg to 105kg in the off-season, McCutcheon is benefiting from the fact he can focus on the Waratahs this year rather than juggle the 15-a-side game and sevens.

"You are probably a little bit stronger and a little bit more physical," he said.

"At the same time you lose a bit of your endurance and your workrate.

"It's all about finding a balance. You feel you are getting through enough work, but you also feel you are physical enough to help the team."

This will be McCutcheon's first start at openside flanker for the Waratahs, having run on at blindside flanker in three previous games.

McCutcheon's match-up with the Cheetahs' outstanding openside flanker Heinrich Brussow will be crucial.

Along with Richie McCaw and David Pocock, Brussow is one of the three best opensides in world rugby.

Brussow was instrumental in the Springboks winning the 2009 Tri-Nations tournament.

"It's a big challenge," McCutcheon said. "He's a quality player.

"He is probably not going to be on top of his game (coming back from injury), but he is still a world-class player and you can never let that out of your sight."

A strong performance against Brussow would certainly not harm McCutcheon's World Cup chances.

"I don't think too many players are looking forward to the Wallabies," McCutcheon said. "We've still got another 10 or 12 rounds to go in Super 15.

"You have to be performing at this level before you can say you can perform at the Wallabies' level."

lWallabies outside centre Rob Horne has re-signed with the ARU and the NSW Waratahs for another two years, as revealed exclusively on www.theaustralian.com.au yesterday morning.

Life without Phil will be interesting

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
"Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." Shawshank Redemption. Long term Waratahs supporters (I go back to the late 60's) understand this completely.

Well, it looks like a repeat of last season. Last year the Highlanders game was the keynote game for the season, this year looks like it will be the Cheetahs. If we pick up, and we do have the cattle to do so, we might make the top six. But nothing, nothing that was on show last night says we can make the top two and that means our chances of winning are slim indeed. To make top two now we would have to win every game and make plenty of bonus points. In looking at the draw I thought that our two close losses needed to be the Crusaders and the Bulls, both away. To lose at home to the team coming last beggars the imagination. We cannot win from here unless something extraordinary happens.

We lost it for the same reason that we lost the Highlanders and Stormers games last year. A failure to muscle up and dominate in the forwards. The scrum I thought dominated the Cheetahs despite being outweighed. The one area where we were weaker on paper we applied ourselves to and won. Everywhere else - the breakdown, the lineout, the pick and drive, the tackling, counter-rucking - in all areas where we were better on paper, we were completely beaten. So much for the claptrap about bulking up and increasing physicality - the first area you have to increase physicality is in the mind, then apply yourself to make the physical do what the mind requires. Clearly its the first area that hasn't been addressed, despite all the talk.

Waratah management needs to look very carefully at this match and what were the fundamental causes of the debacle. This has to be Hickey's last season and in the light of the lack of progress with the minds of the forwards you wouldn't want Foley to step up, though he is clearly a good forwards skills coach. A new coach from outside is required and candidates are thin on the ground. You need a coach with the proven ability to get into the minds of the players and make the mental changes required (or alternatively bring in new talent if the changes are impossible). I doubt Louden would ever return and I think probably only Chieka would be a possibility. I saw a reference on the forum a few days ago that he had had previous dealings with management and had not been impressed. Not the first I suppose.

What is it that is the difference between the Crusaders culture and the Waratahs culture. Roughly the same sized base but a completely different mindset and completely different outcomes. Sydney has all of the natural advantages except being the top code. We have better facilities, better weather, bigger pool of talent. We seem to lack the will to win. Being a Waratah supporter is the toughest job on the planet. Maybe that's why there were so few in the stands last night.

Can we recover? I guess so but I say it without conviction. What has to change is the mindset, and that change must be permanent, not for just a couple of games. Die hard supporters are rusted on I guess - the 96 point thrashing felt worse, but not much. I won't forget the 96 until we put 50+ on the Crusaders sometime; the Cheetahs game may fade with time.

Shawshank Redemption again: "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Horne is not an integral part of the Wallabies because he has never been on the field long enough to suggest that he is any good at test level.

Given his form at Super level he might be integral for the Wallabies and might have an impact at test level, but saying that he is an integral part is stupid when he was not missed whatsoever when replaced.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Horne is not an integral part of the Wallabies because he has never been on the field long enough to suggest that he is any good at test level.

Given his form at Super level he might be integral for the Wallabies and might have an impact at test level, but saying that he is an integral part is stupid when he was not missed whatsoever when replaced.

that post could be with pretty much anyone in the current wallaby set up, not cos we have great competition, just alot of middle of the road.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Disagree. There are plenty in the currently Wallaby set up who are integral to that camp. Horne's played, what, 3 matches for the Wallabies? I don't even really remember his contributions in those games. To say that he is the same to the Wallabies as "anyone in the current Wallaby set up" is crap. How is his importance the same as that of Pockock? What about Genia? Beale? Sharpe?

Reddy was right on - Horne might be an integral part of the Wallabies at some point, but how the hell can anyone say that he is now?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Disagree. There are plenty in the currently Wallaby set up who are integral to that camp. Horne's played, what, 3 matches for the Wallabies? I don't even really remember his contributions in those games. To say that he is the same to the Wallabies as "anyone in the current Wallaby set up" is crap. How is his importance the same as that of Pockock? What about Genia? Beale? Sharpe?

Reddy was right on - Horne might be an integral part of the Wallabies at some point, but how the hell can anyone say that he is now?
Agreed. I am a big fan of Horne, but he has proved nothing yet.
As far as "integral part of the Wallabies" goes, I would say only Pocock, Sharpe, Moore (maybe), Cooper and Beale are integral. Not to devalue anyone else (before someone goes crazy at leaving other names out), but most other positions have options which will work too. Those above are players we absolutely cannot afford to lose this year, I think.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agreed. I am a big fan of Horne, but he has proved nothing yet.
As far as "integral part of the Wallabies" goes, I would say only Pocock, Sharpe, Moore (maybe), Cooper and Beale are integral. Not to devalue anyone else (before someone goes crazy at leaving other names out), but most other positions have options which will work too. Those above are players we absolutely cannot afford to lose this year, I think.

I would say pocock and sharpe are the only two that are way ahead of their prospective replacements on a consistent basis. Strangely enough the next name that pops into my ahead is Palu but he isn't quite consistent enough.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Given the reports of Shepherd's game against the Lions in comparison of the rubbish we saw from Beale I wouldn't be putting Beale in the indispensible basket.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
WJ you should remove the signature from your post. It is an embarresment after last night. Hickey should be making some very serious enquiries with other teams before anyhbody gets hold of the video from that game. There can be no doubt that Hickey will be gone at the end of this year, unless they win the comp (which is no chance at all IMO) and no matter that nobody fronted to play last night, even less so than against the Saders the game before, it reflects on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.