• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Either way, great decision Tahs. They would be the laughing stock if they sacked Foley. Look at the way they have treated the last few coaches, no wonder Cheika wanted direct control before he was willing to take the job.

The truth is, Tahs have had a bad injury run and Foley deserves the chance to prove himself.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Pat McCabe remembers the day New South Wales Waratahs told him he wouldn't make it in Super Rugby.

The teenage winger/fullback had been a member of the Tahs academy for two years when he was called to a meeting. It was 2007.
"They said I was going to be a good club player but I wasn't up to Super Rugby standard," McCabe recalled.
"I could stay in the academy if I wanted but I wouldn't be progressing any further."

continues:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...r-rugby-standard/story-e6frf4qu-1226417469547

My Goodness, there is so much to love about this article.

The way the waratah management decided a 19yo was not good enough at that moment in time, and so will therefore never be good enough
The way they didn't attempt to focus on training him up
The fact that to his everlasting credit he went away and did the hard work himself

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That was the setback that McCabe needed to succeed.

Another Australian Rugby success story that has the Waratahs to thank for it. Without telling McCabe he was crap, he would never have got the drive and determination to succeed that he has today. What a selfless act by the Waratahs.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I've listened to quite a few interviews with comedians who tell anyone who comes up to them asking them how do I get in comedy that they shouldn't. It is a terrible career. It is hard and you will fail.
The purpose of this is if someone they idolise tells them this but they pursue it anyway it means they have the drive to get there and possibly become successful.
Now we don't know if this was the intent from whomever told Pat McCabe that he wont succeed but good on him for proving them wrong.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's not anyone's fault, that's just what happens, players get opportunities elsewhere. He wasn't good enough at the time.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
So at the Tah's - whose fault is it, who has been making these desisions over a number of years now?

Whoever it was must have had a sense of humor. Telling McCabe that he was too limited a player, too slow and just a crashballer who would never make it, meanwhile watching Carter running out for the Tahs doing just that.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It's not anyone's fault, that's just what happens, players get opportunities elsewhere. He wasn't good enough at the time.

It just seems to happen far far to often, it appears nobody want to accept responability?
Or nobody wants to step up?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whoever it was must have had a sense of humor. Telling McCabe that he was too limited a player, too slow and just a crashballer who would never make it, meanwhile watching Carter running out for the Tahs doing just that.

Clearly McCabe didn't have a standard monkey cloud as part of his game back then.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, sort of like Burgess and Timani not being used by the Brumbies.

Some players just don't work out, sometimes they need the kick

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
That would have been a St Ewen decision, but lets blame Foley for it given that seems to be the flavour of the month.

It's not foleys fault, it's clearly an illustration of the board being completely inept. Just ask someone from the west harbour pirates what they think of the NSWRU & Pat McCabe situation, they will tell you. If Gaffney isnt sacked over this he never will be.

Interesting that while they told McCabe he wasn't up to it they still signed Rocky for this season even though he had injury concerns.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Voted by the players, same way he got the Wally job.

Over the years (too many years) I have seen plenty of players being voted "Players Player" by the team who IMHO were greedy ball hogs and show ponies who's on field behaviour, whilst spectacular, has generally not been in the best interests of the team.

I'm all for player power, but they do not always see the big picture.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm fine with telling a player he isnt good enough - what gets me pissed is that they've taken a kid who is passionate about football, and passionate about being a waratah, and instead of telling him "work on this, or work on that asperct of your game. We will help you out" they told him he would never make it. too bad, see you later. it's just poor attitude and poor management. even if they had said "we dont have the space to keep you in the system, but work hard and come back next year" it would have given him a shot at coming back in, instead of saying "you will never make it"

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'm fine with telling a player he isnt good enough - what gets me pissed is that they've taken a kid who is passionate about football, and passionate about being a waratah, and instead of telling him "work on this, or work on that asperct of your game. We will help you out" they told him he would never make it. too bad, see you later. it's just poor attitude and poor management. even if they had said "we dont have the space to keep you in the system, but work hard and come back next year" it would have given him a shot at coming back in, instead of saying "you will never make it"

"I wasn't physically anywhere near Super standard and my skills weren't good either. Some guys straight after school have that confidence to take on the world, and good luck to them. I just didn't enjoy my time there because I wasn't confident."

McCabe chose to leave the Waratahs and spend a year training on his own and playing for the Warringah Rats.

they offered to keep training him, he chose to leave.
by his own admission he wasnt up to scratch and what the waratahs did for him was enable him to see this and work on it. if by your opinion they destroyed his passion or drive he wouldnt have made it at all.
not every player is on the same development path, its very easy to stand back and say that player is good now, the Tahs stuffed up, but when there 18/19 year old kids, untested, making the call on who and when is much harder.

shows how passionate he was to be a Tah though that he never considered coming back, if he never thought he could make it in True Blue, we shouldnt want him anyway.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't mind that 4 years ago they told Pat they thought he would never make it.That's a judgement call they need to make on several people every year. With the best intentions, even good judges will get the odd one wrong.
What peeves me is their attitude, "we don't think you will ever make it, but you can still hang around and take up a spot in our academy."
Interesting that he thought he could improve more outside of their system, than within it.
....And he was right.
Blow the joint up and start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.