• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
great now we just need a 7 and thats a test forward pack
robinson tpn kepu
vicks mumm
elsom palu *

backs look very strong starters in
pretorious barnes
carter horne
mitchell ashleycooper turner

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Elsom apparently set to rotate between no 8 and blindside flanker: Makes sense.

Its a straight swap for Mowen who also rotated with Palu, in effect. That leaves the door open for more time for Dennis at 6. than would otherwise be the case.

The Tahs dodged a bullet there. It was reprehensible that the Tahs as a group let Mowen go without lining up Rocky first, whatever the story was with the 1 year or 2 years contract kerfuffle, or who was coach at the time. You should not leave yourself exposed like that as a sporting organisation.

Lucky.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Perfectly put, Lee. What I worry about most with this new regime in Tahland is that it's hardly "new" at all. We saw how quickly the root and branch clean out in Queensland reaped dividends. I just hope the Tahs' failure to do the same doesn't simply lead to stagnation.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Perfectly put, Lee. What I worry about most with this new regime in Tahland is that it's hardly "new" at all. We saw how quickly the root and branch clean out in Queensland reaped dividends. I just hope the Tahs' failure to do the same doesn't simply lead to stagnation.

:nta: a clean out wasn't required, it ain't broken.

T

TOCC

I dont think a cleanout is required in NSW, but you cant stand there with your hand on your heart and say that NSWRU is running the game(amateur and professional) to best practice.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
:nta: a clean out wasn't required, it ain't broken.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the players, but rather the management structure. It might not be broken in a "apocalypse around the corner" kinda way, but as TOCC says, it really isn't being run to best practice. The apparently long but hardly transparent (let alone far-reaching) end of season review being the most recent case in point.

Obviously the Tahs have been successful in recent years. Equally obviously, at least to me, the organization has not been as competently managed as one might hope.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Certainly looking forward to Tahs in 2012 here. Well, except when they play the Rebels, where clearly I will be applying my Jedi mind powers full force in Rebels favour vs the evil empire. Sadly my Jedi mind powers probably won't achieve much but they shall be applied nevertheless.

Rapt to see Elsom at Tahs and looking forward to seeing Tom Carter continue to improve his impressive form, maybe with some strong passing.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
When do the Aussie Super 15 sides have to finalise their squads? and can someone confirm how many positions the Waratahs have left? and how many wider training/rookie contracts will be given out?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
None of us know for sure mate. We can't even work out whether some of the recent additions like Greg Peterson are on rookie contracts or senior contracts.

Read through the last few pages to follow the confusion.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Usually the penny drops halfway through the season unless they get their website stuff spot on.

I've never even seen anything from the ARU that says that a squad has to have a limit of so many full contracts plus so many rookies - just journos talking about it.

Reading tea leaves is more accurate.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Unfortunatley reading through the last few pages only confuses me. On a positive great starting team. Surely we will go through the season without a injury? (insert sarcasm).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Unfortunatley reading through the last few pages only confuses me. On a positive great starting team. Surely we will go through the season without a injury? (insert sarcasm).

Welcome to the land of confusion. To clear this up, all that needs to happen is someone from team management to post on this thread the signed full players and the signed rookies and the years they are contracted for. Its not that hard. The marketing dept should have someone opening up this thread daily (plus other sites) just to see what fans are saying. But it clearly does not happen. Cue in Richo's comments above about less than spectacular back office management.

R

rugby_man

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but Afusipa Taumoepeau has now signed with the Waratahs to be closer to his family.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm an Eastern Suburbs fan and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess he's still very young.

He's probably a better attacker but weaker defender than Ant Fainga'a at a similar age I guess.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
2012 Super Rugby Squad (According to website):
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/Waratahs/HSBCWaratahs/SuperRugbySquad.aspx
29 players:
3 Hookers- Ulugia, Polota-Nau, Fitzpatrick
4 Props- Tilse, Ryan, Robinson, Kepu
5 Locks- Vickerman, Peterson, Mumm, Dennis, Douglas
4 Backrowers- Elsom, Alcock, McCutcheon, Palu
2 Scrumhalves- McKibben, Pretorius
3 Fly-halves- Barnes, Foley, Halangahu
4 Centres- Karauria-Henry, Kingston, Carter, Horne
3 Wingers- Turner, Pakalani, Mitchell
1 Fullback- Ashley-Cooper

Wonder who the 30th spot will go to. I'm guessing it will be a backrower. Ulugia can cover prop in times of crisis, so another flanker is my bet. Possibly another scrumhalf though.

Interesting to see Dave Dennis listed as a lock. Could they be looking at him over Mumm? He's wasted on the bench IMO, so maybe that's not a bad sign.
Any thoughts on who the captain will be? Mumm filled in for Waugh, but I don't see him as a long-term solution. I originally thought TPN, but he's injured too often to take over in that capacity. Mitchell's a senior player, Wallaby and captained on the Aus Schools tour years ago, but I don't see a winger captaining the side, especially with Foley as coach. Possibly Barnes or Vickerman- hopefully not Elsom. Although, Foley and Elsom are quite the duo, so it wouldn't surprise me.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
30th spot will definately be a prop with Foles at the helm. He said that there was a spot for a back, a back rower and a prop at his appointment press conference. Since then, we have had Rocky and Afusipa Taumoepeau come into the fold.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Swarley

I really hope AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't play fullback. He should stick with OC. He really has struggled with all this moving around. I would also like to see Mitchell there and getting his hands on the ball as much as possible. I hope it doesn't come at the expense of Horne. I just wrote it on the other thread, but maybe he could play on the wing or replace carter.

I would like to see:
pretorius, Barnes, Turner, Carter, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Mitchell.

Status
Not open for further replies.