• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I had planned to go but got stuck in work, Mrs JSRF was upset that she missed out on chatting to Izzy although it might have worked out better for our relationship.

I have similar fears. "Oh my God, he's beautiful!" was the way my wife put it.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I had planned to go but got stuck in work, Mrs JSRF was upset that she missed out on chatting to Izzy although it might have worked out better for our relationship.

Mrs JSRF should have turned up without you. ;) I didn't notice many people approaching him on the night so she could have had a decent chat with him.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Has anyone else noticed that it is cheaper to purchase a 2 game Tahs membership to the Olympic Stadium games ($38) than it is to get a domestic supporter/non-ticketed membership ($50)? :confused:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Gray injured? And Carraro?

Gray came off injured against the Blues and says he is taking this weekend off. I think he would be right to play if it was a proper game.

Not sure about Cararro but he had lots of time in the first two trials. I imagine the return of Crawford means he isn't needed this weekend.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has anyone else noticed that it is cheaper to purchase a 2 game Tahs membership to the Olympic Stadium games ($38) than it is to get a domestic supporter/non-ticketed membership ($50)? :confused:

This is a good thing!

People attending a game are providing more value to the Tahs than someone who is just buying some merch.

There's no point selling the unticketed membership below cost whereas from the Tahs perspective there are effectively an unlimited number of GA tickets to sell to ANZ games.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agreed. It's replacing a juicy red Eastern Suburbs apple with a somewhat sour green Granny Smith Randwick apple.

Oh, and one is a 4/6 who excels in the lineout and the other is a 6/8. :cool:

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
hmmmmmmm ill let that through to the keeper ;). think Hoiles offers something a bit different from the rest of the squad forwards with his linking ability and skills.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sitting in the bleachers at Hunter Stadium, like a Sheffield Shield crowd 50 minutes out. A lot of people in new merchandise, suggests loyal supporters rather than many just keen for a look. Trying to drizzle, might hold off.

Excited to Alofa and Folau combine, and whether the Sydney Uni halves can ignite the exciting backline when Phipps comes on. Also keen to see the import, hope he's not afraid of the short stuff... oh, wrong game.

Go Waratahs!

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I can tell you that there was no other crap.

Have you considered calling the Tahs membership team and asking if they can change your membership to the 2 game option? They may not refund you the price difference, but getting the tickets to the 2 games is better than nothing.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Have you considered calling the Tahs membership team and asking if they can change your membership to the 2 game option? They may not refund you the price difference, but getting the tickets to the 2 games is better than nothing.

It has crossed my mind. I'll have to check the dates to make sure I can go.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any news on the Waratah A trial played this afternoon ?

Waratahs A beat Randwick 14-12 (I think). Very scrappy game, it was slippery as all hell out there given the rain and how humid it is today. I did manage to recognise some faces in the Waratahs A, including Tilse, Roach, Peterson, Holloway, Horwitz, Will Skelton's younger brother (not the 13 year old) and Richard Hooper.

Talking to TPN, he says the majority of the forwards have been training together but the backs were brought in later, before combinations had the chance to develop completely.

Some very exhausted Waratahs players and coaches as they only got back from Newcastle at about midnight-1am this morning.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Waratahs A beat Randwick 14-12 (I think). Very scrappy game, it was slippery as all hell out there given the rain and how humid it is today. I did manage to recognise some faces in the Waratahs A, including Tilse, Roach, Peterson, Holloway, Horwitz, Will Skelton's younger brother (not the 13 year old) and Richard Hooper.

Talking to TPN, he says the majority of the forwards have been training together but the backs were brought in later, before combinations had the chance to develop completely.

Some very exhausted Waratahs players and coaches as they only got back from Newcastle at about midnight-1am this morning.

Good summation. Was surprised by the lack of dominance from the Waratah squad given they were playing an under strength club side. Would love to know the full team that played. I recognised Metcher in addition to the names you mentioned.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not much chat around the Newcastle trial - more about the second XV.

As usual the Tahs website and RugbyHeaven made it glossy, and not hard-hitting. Here's my perspective from the stand...

Scrum was dominant, though we were penalised twice for the feed (Phipps and McK?).

Lineout had some luck with TPN throwing poorly, with several tap downs and second grabs. Lineout more effective under Latu, who threw straight and flat.

There was very light drizzle on the night, though I feel the rate of handling errors was over and above that expected. Palu, Skelton and Fatcat dropped some straightforward passes on the defensive line, while poor passing by the inside backs to the centres or forwards running wide, often at sock level saw several balls go to ground.

I thought KB (Kurtley Beale) played a shocker. While throwing the last pass for 2 tries (as is his job), he also made several terrible decisions. Under pressure at the back of the ruck 5m out from our line he threw a hospital pass to Alofa who regathered in-goal - which lead to the most exhilarating run of the game. Beating the first defender from inside his own goal line, he went on to bamboozle another 4 or so defenders on his way to a brilliant 60m burst.

Cam Crawford also had a poor game IMO, as did Volavola for the small time he was on. Izzy dropped the first high-ball that came his way, though he was effective with every other touch. Pity that Lance was injured during warm-up as we didn't see him at all, and Betham was good enough to pick again despite his obvious flaws that seem to compound due to lack of confidence.

Potgeiter was aggressive, though lacked the direction that a summer of team training might have afforded him otherwise - he needs more time in the squad to be fully effective.

Based on what I saw, here's my team for the first game (did I mention FFS AT LAST THEY'VE GOTTEN RID OF THE POINTS FOR THE BYE!):

Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Douglas, Skelton, Dennis, Hooper, Palu, Phipps, Foley, Betham, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Alofa, Folau. Reserves: Latu, Ryan, Tilse, Potgeiter, Hoiles, McKibbin or Lucas, Beale, Lance (if fit) or Crawford.

Alofa is a risk in terms of we don't know how he goes under the high ball, nor have I seen much defence as yet (he played the far wing in the first half, then swapped for the second!), and Skelton should be given the opportunity to prove his fitness given the long term forecast isn't for hot weather next Sun afternoon. Potgeiter needs the opportunity to learn our structures before he starts, and there's not much between the reserve scrummies except for McKibbin's goal kicking. Despite his progress and prowess in 2013, Crawford needs to prove himself again as his performance on Fri night returning from injury wasn't worthy of a squad position.

Go Waratahs!

Status
Not open for further replies.