• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
He went to a surgeon who decided not to operate? Clearly an urban myth.
I actually had a surgeon who suggested that for my knee. After an MRI he wanted to use me as a case study to see if the ACL could heal itself (unusual conditions that may have allowed that). In the end I did get surgery.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Kingston going was probably inevitable after Crawford and Betham both clearly surpassed him in the pecking order.

I'm guessing we now sign both Beale and Horne.

I really, really hope we can secure Folau.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This certainly opens up some development spaces in the squad, especially in the centres.

I wonder who they are looking at to cover 12/13/14?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Foley going means either:
  • that Beale is on his way back to the Tahs already; or
  • Someone was asleep at the wheel in Tahland
There's no clear favourite in this 2 horse race.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Disappointed that Foley has left, I don't think they would have let him go if they hadn't already got Beale or maybe even JOC (James O'Connor) signed. Going to have to trust Cheika on this one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the sound of things Foley has been offered a pretty big contract to move to the Rebels.

That would suggest the Rebels are losing at least Beale and possibly JOC (James O'Connor) as well.

I'm disappointed to lose Foley (and Kingston) but it's hard to begrudge players seeking to maximise their remuneration or opportunity.

I certainly hope Beale is heading back to Moore Park now. I think he'll flourish once he's back in Sydney and I'm keen to see what Cheika can do with him. I think Cheika is exactly the sort of coach he needs.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Betham and Crawford and Turner is still on the books. Definitely looks like an area where we need a recruit now.
Also Hodge.
Seems like Foley and Kingston as Sydney Uni players going to Rebels with their old coach. Perhaps a pointer to Hill being reappointed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A bit thin, but Kingston probably commanded too much to be a back-up. It's about value, which is why the Tahs would have let him go.
Really?
How many of his 25 games for the Tahs have actually been starting?
Also you need more cover for wingers because there are 2 of them
Whats our fullback cover? Particularly if, as seems logical (and therefore, perhaps, unlikely), Beale is coming back.
Unless there are stars in Shute Shield Cheika is not going to get the team he wants (or needs).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Time for a mid-season review in the bye week.

1 Adam Ashley-Cooper - - Re-signed
2 Ollie Atkins - off contract
3 Berrick Barnes - Panasonic Wild Knights
4 Peter Betham - off contract
5 Tom Carter - off contract
6 Cam Crawford - contracted
7 Dave Dennis - contracted
8 Kane Douglas - off contract
9 Damien Fitzpatrick - off contract
10 Bernard Foley - Melbourne Rebels
11 Grayson Hart - off contract
12 Michael Hodge - contracted
13 Michael Hooper - contracted
14 Rob Horne - off contract
15 Sekope Kepu - Re-signed
16 Tom Kingston - Melbourne Rebels
17 Pat McCutcheon - contracted
18 Brendan McKibbin - off contract
19 Drew Mitchell - Toulon
20 Wycliff Palu - Re-signed
21 Greg Peterson - off contract
22 Tatafu Polota-Nau - Re-signed
23 Benn Robinson - off contract
24 Paddy Ryan - contracted
25 Jeremy Tilse - off contract
26 Lopeti Timani - Melbourne Rebels
27 Sitaleki Timani - Montpellier
28 Lachie Turner - off contract
29 John Ulugia - off contract
30 Israel Folau - off contract
31 Mitch Chapman (replacement for the injured Fitzpatrick) - off contract

EXTENDED PLAYER SQUAD
Jed Holloway - off contract
Luke Holmes - off contract
Sam Lane - released
Matt Lucas - off contract
Ben Volavola - off contract
Will Skelton - off contract

Bump.

So an update on where things are at. To make it easier, green names have re-signed, red names are leaving, blue names are still uncertain but seem likely to stay.

Additions for next year from outside the 2013 squad are Nick Phipps, Tala Grey and Jono Lance.

Given the players we are losing, it is increasingly important that we retain Robinson, Betham, Folau, Douglas, Lucas and Skelton in particular. It would also seem more likely that some of the older fringe players may remain given we need to fill spots in the squad and there will already be a fair bit of room for young players (people like Carter, Turner, Tilse etc.)

The players I would be surprised to see retained are Hart, Holmes, Peterson and Atkins. They've had little or no game time and seem to be well down the pecking order.

Of the green and blue names and the additions we've only got 20 players out of a squad of 30 (given the EPS has to come from outside the 2013 squad as they are single year new contracts).

If we added Volavola, Holloway, Chapman, Ulugia, Tilse, McKibbin, Fitzpatrick that brings the size of the squad to 27 leaving three spots. Potentially Kurtley Beale could fill one of those.

For the EPS next year my picks are: Hugh Roach, David Horwitz, Waldo Wessels, A Prop, A winger or A lock.

Of course the squad size could increase slightly next year with the addition of a prop to every matchday squad.

Unless Turner stays as a backup winger, it would seem we need to sign another winger and perhaps another lock and prop.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Really?
How many of his 25 games for the Tahs have actually been starting?
Also you need more cover for wingers because there are 2 of them
Whats our fullback cover? Particularly if, as seems logical (and therefore, perhaps, unlikely), Beale is coming back.
Unless there are stars in Shute Shield Cheika is not going to get the team he wants (or needs).

If the Rebels offered Kingston starter money, the Tahs aren't going to beat that to have him as a back up. That's what value means for a rugby team with a salary cap. You can't overpay for non-essential players. The Tahs would be better off finding a winger who gives them 85% of what Kingston does and paying him the minimum.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There was a note in the papers a while ago talking about an islander heritage centre playing Japan, but I can't find the piece

Status
Not open for further replies.